newbe type questions

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a P3. I been doing some research which has lead to a few questions.

1 I plan on only flying around and taking still picts and occasional videos, nothing fancy. Would the P3 standard would do all I want? Or, maybe, a P2 would be all I need...

2 I have an LG V410 7" tablet running the android version 4.4.2 kit cat. Has anyone out there been successful getting one of these to work with the P3?

3 While I'm learning to fly the thing, can I, for the safety of the camera and gimbel, remove them and will the P3 fly without them?

4 I've read that DJI customer service stinks and I should buy the P3 from amazon where that seller might provide better service. Any thoughts about this?

I'm sure that, after I make the decision to buy and get it, I'll have a lot more questions.

Jim B.

Last edited:
I plan on only flying around and taking still picts and occasional videos, nothing fancy. Would the P3 standard would do all I want? Or, maybe, a P2 would be all I need
All models of the P3 take the same quality photos. If I had my choice between the P3S and P3A, I'd go with the P3A every time. The Lightbridge system works better than the Wi-Fi system in the P3S. The P3A is able to connect to more satellites, has a better remote controller, and can hold a tablet right out of the box. The P3S remote controller mount can only hold a phone. If you upgrade to this mount, you could attach up to a 7.9" tablet.

I have an LG V410 7" tablet running the android version 4.4.2 kit cat. Has anyone out there been successful getting one of these to work with the P3
It wouldn't hurt to try it since you already own it. Follow these tips to ensure your tablet is optimized and ready to run the DJI GO app. If you find that tablet won't work, then try one of the tablets on this list.

While I'm learning to fly the thing, can I, for the safety of the camera and gimbel, remove them and will the P3 fly without them?
You could, but you'd have to be careful that you do not damage something when removing it and reinstalling it. It would be better to fly in a wide open location that is clear of trees and other obstacles. If there is nothing to crash into, the only thing you'll really have to worry about then is landing safely. You should be fine though if you take it down nice and easy when landing.

I've read that DJI customer service stinks and I should buy the P3 from amazon where that seller might provide better service.
DJI shipping is pretty good for items they have in stock. And, I'm sure there is no shortage of P3s in stock right now. It'll be a hassle if you need to return your P3 for some reason -- like if it's damaged on arrival.

Since you're in the US, Amazon shipping will be much quicker (one or two business days) if the P3 is being shipped via Amazon Prime. Returns are easy to do if needed when buying Amazon Prime items too. If you're interested in purchasing from Amazon, then check out this list of authorized DJI dealers who are selling on Amazon:

As far as customer service goes, it doesn't really matter where you buy from -- as long as you buy from DJI directly or an authorized DJI dealer. If you need to have warranty work done on your Phantom, it'll most likely have to be sent back to DJI. There are some authorized DJI dealers who can do repairs at your cost, but many do not do repair work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanjo Grale
I'm thinking of buying a P3.
3 While I'm learning to fly the thing, can I, for the safety of the camera and gimbel, remove them and will the P3 fly without them?
Jim B.

I highly recommend getting a X5c for about $40 and flying it around to get used to the controls - same as the Phantom. Getting your reactions dialed in will save you close calls and crashes.

Reactions: reboot81
I highly recommend getting a X5c for about $40 and flying it around to get used to the controls - same as the Phantom. Getting your reactions dialed in will save you close calls and crashes.

Ordered X5C with 2 extra batteries (500ma). have you ever tried using the 650ma batteries? I understand they are a little thicker than the 500's and are a tight fit in the copter.

Thank you all for the reply's !

Ordered X5C with 2 extra batteries (500ma). have you ever tried using the 650ma batteries? I understand they are a little thicker than the 500's and are a tight fit in the copter.

Yes, they work fine - a little tight, you have to insert it first, then plug it in. Charger acts funny with them, so you might want to get one of the 5 at a time chargers if you get those holy stone batteries.

The X5C I bought comes with 2 extra batteries and a 5 in one charger. I don't know the brand of the charger. Aside from some people complaining about the difficulty of plugging the batteries into them (which I don't think is a real problem as long as you're careful), I've read where some of these are quirky in that they don't charge the batteries fully or properly. What has been your experience and can you send me a link to the place where you buy your batteries and charger? I am planing on buying a couple extra batteries after I get the copter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl