New to Drones and thinking about Range Extender

Nice capture. Did you know the deer were there already or did you spot them live view while flying?

I know I never would've been able to pick them out live. But I'm using a Galaxy phone to run DJI Go on. I'm sure a tablet would be a nice improvement. Adding the Inspire holder is the next mod I'm looking to do.

And the Itelite mod gave me a very noticeable range improvement. I think you'll like it.

No I didn’t know they were back there but know they often are. I spotted them while flying but only because I have an iPhone 8+. My previous 6S I doubt I would have. The extra size makes a big difference. A tablet would be even better!

Reactions: Birdies Wanted
wow thanks for the detailed feedback ....so if I want have better control signal ...I lose control ie the drone RTH before I lose video...the cheapest mod would be to change the 5.8 ghz antenna with a higher dbi eg a 7dbi...but would it be a panel or omni?

I use the 10 dBi omni antenna that comes with the ARGtek kit for control. This is what I used for my 17,000ft open distance record, and lost control and video at roughly the same time. A 10 dBi panel would probably be a little better as a panel is actually LESS directional in the vertical (pitch) plane than an omni, so you need to worry less about pointing at the drone - but achievable distance should be similar to the omni. I have ordered a 14 dBi panel from Amazon that I'll be trialling shortly. I would expect this to extend the control range to 25,000ft+, which is at the edge of the limits of the battery.

-Adrian

Not well. It is a circularly polarised antenna. The drone antennas are linearly polarised. This means you will lose half the signal straight off. (Don't be confused by people who tout the benefits of circular polarisation for drones - they are right but only if the drone also has circularly polarised antennas.)

Try this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DNMACZY/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Adrian

Thanks for the info and help ... is antenna choosing is a confusing thing.....I am trying to source the equipment from local retailers..(in South Africa)..but if I cant find local then I will try Amazon or eBay

smackc4 - amplifiers are available for the RC. You can find (for example) the Sunhans amplifiers, which are quite good, at rexuav.com. You will need to do a "home brew" style modification to mount them to your RC ... a good way is on a plastic plate which sits under the RC so it is still holdable. You run SMA cables from the ARGtek mount ports to the amplifiers, and then connect the antennas to the amplifiers. You'll also need some kind of battery to power the amplifiers. Under the right circumstances amplifiers can make a significant difference. There is lots of stuff on the forum here from people who have done this.

I'm not familiar with the exact construction of the internal 2.4GHz panel antennas in the P3S RC since I have a P34K. Generally though panel (patch) antennas are indeed "just" a small square piece of metal. Larger dimensions give narrower beamwidth and hence greater gains ... so you will probably find that the ARGtek panel antennas use a larger piece of metal than the internal antennas in the P3S RC.

The P34K RC does not have the internal 2.4GHz panels in the RC that the P3S has - instead it has 2 external omni antennas. There are 3 internal uFL connectors inside the P34K remote (just like the P3S) - one 5.8GHz and two 2.4GHz. The 5.8GHz and one of the 2.4GHz goes to the left omni antenna (which is dual band). The other 2.4GHz goes to the right omni antenna. Two antennas are used at 2.4GHz for diversity (Google it!). Typical "omni" whip antennas like the ones supplied with the P34K remote will have a gain of 2 dB-ish, so the ARGtek 7 dBi panels should increase the range in an open environment by almost double on that basis - and indeed they do!

You can find a great antenna guide here: Antenna Patterns and Their Meaning

-Adrian
Gidday again mate;
Looking into Amps, but just occurred to me, using my ARG setup - Wouldn't I (ideally) need TWO? - One for each antenna, or would one suffice?

Bought one of those "parabolic" type cheapies - all i can say is, "Don't"
I got my return label and am sending it back tomorrow. It does absolutely NOTHING!!!!!!

rcgeek parabolic range.JPG

Oh. Seemed to work according to the Meter;

Well I used it in an open field, no wind/clouds, no building or other interference and it did absolutely nothing! On another side note, I use a "parabolic" space heater and that thing works great!
I really wanted it to give me just a little more range. I wasn't expecting much but nothing at all was VERY disappointing!

20180203_094240.jpg

Well I used it in an open field, no wind/clouds, no building or other interference and it did absolutely nothing! On another side note, I use a "parabolic" space heater and that thing works great!
I really wanted it to give me just a little more range. I wasn't expecting much but nothing at all was VERY disappointing!

View attachment 94464

Is your range being limited by the control uplink or the video downlink? In other words, do you lose control or video first?

-Adrian

So the manual says 2.4 is video downlink, and 5.8 for aircraft transmission; I don't care much about video as I keep it running when I start, but RANGE-WISE, I only need a 5.8, yeah?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z