New to Drones and thinking about Range Extender

Reaction score
I looked on ebay and saw a Range extender that was a ARG Tek for my DJI Phantom 3 Standard and I'm not sure if its worth it ? I also saw a Parabolic one that hooks to the antenna not to sure if that will add as much range as Im looking for ? If anyone has any of these I would like some input on them Thank You ....

If your new to drones then....I think its best to get lots and lots of flight experience before you want to fly way way out....sure they have a return to home button....But learn to bring it back with out that trick from (LOS) line of sight !.. ..and i'm sure somebody here will sure help you with making a better antenna choice for your P3S !

When you're flying stock, the signal that you'll lose first will be the FPV signal.

The problem with the parabolic is it won't do anything for your FPV signal. So you really need to do a more complex mod to bring that 2.4ghz antenna outside of the controller. I recommend the ITELITE DBS antenna mod.

Good luck.

I goit my very first drone P3S on Dec 11th. Installed ARGTEK over Christmas. It is actually safer because it reduces the chances losing signal. Just because you have the added range doesn't mean you have to use it. It isn't hard to install just be sure to cut all the glue off before attempting to remove original cables. My other thing would be it is a cheap enough mod to add without having to much in to a P3S.

Reactions: GWI VETERAN
"IF"......you had to send the remote controller and maybe even the drone in for warranty work to Dji......would the ARGTEK all have to come off......You never know UNLESS you ask Right !......well i'm asking and i'm sure many others would like to also know that question too ! id hate to have to cut it all back off to send it all in !

Reactions: GWI VETERAN
"IF"......you had to send the remote controller and maybe even the drone in for warranty work to Dji......would the ARGTEK all have to come off......You never know UNLESS you ask Right !......well i'm asking and i'm sure many others would like to also know that question too ! id hate to have to cut it all back off to send it all in !
I would imagine DJI would frown on the mod lol.

Honest i sure would have to hate to pull it all apart again Big Sigh !........cut the sealer off the antennas that secured the wires then Unsolder them and pull the antenna mount off and solder the original wires back on and re hot glue them back on to look like nothing ever happened .and put it all back together and drop the RC unit in a box and send it back to Dji.....as for as me i recon i'm different.......>>>>> I'm happy the way it came out of the box period <<<<<< ! I can only imagine.....theirs more like me but don't want to speak UP... ! some people just have to tinker around with things i guess and yep..Dji might send it back and say your warranty is No good !.....i'm sure they have record of whats going on here on this site ! good luck to all you that change n modify things under warranty !

Reactions: Fly Mark Fly
Honest i sure would have to hate to pull it all apart again Big Sigh !........cut the sealer off the antennas that secured the wires then Unsolder them and pull the antenna mount off and solder the original wires back on and re hot glue them back on to look like nothing ever happened .and put it all back together and drop the RC unit in a box and send it back to Dji.....as for as me i recon i'm different.......>>>>> I'm happy the way it came out of the box period <<<<<< ! I can only imagine.....theirs more like me but don't want to speak UP... ! some people just have to tinker around with things i guess and yep..Dji might send it back and say your warranty is No good !.....i'm sure they have record of whats going on here on this site ! good luck to all you that change n modify things under warranty !
You sir are correct I have always been the type to tinker. Lol

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Yip corect any mod voids warranty

How do you link the controller?
Under general settings in djigo app,click 3 lines top right
Screenshot_20180116-152552.jpg
then click rc linking , drone will beep then press and hold link light button under drone with paper clip,,light should now be green
Screenshot_20180116-152625.jpg

I've gotten out to 3900 feet a number of times without any problems using a parabolic device...

When you're flying stock, the signal that you'll lose first will be the FPV signal.

The problem with the parabolic is it won't do anything for your FPV signal. So you really need to do a more complex mod to bring that 2.4ghz antenna outside of the controller. I recommend the ITELITE DBS antenna mod.

Good luck.
Experiencing just the opposite. Video is rock solid. It's the control I keep losing. Usually between 400 - 550 feet. Not that I need to fly much further, but my confidence has been shaken. It's going in to DJI so they can take a look under the hood. Note, they want the controller, too so anybody considering a range extender may wish to wait for warranty to expire or purchase a second unit off e-bay. I've seen them for $50 used, $75 new.

I get around 900ft in my neighborhood with lots of WiFi interference. I am fitting the ITELITE mod tomorrow and will retest. Am hoping for a lot more range.

Sounds like something is wrong with your 5.8 transmitter, antenna cable, or your receiver board...

Good luck.

Transmitter seems to be OK when tested with an Immersion RF power meter. I think it's in the receiver. It's going back to DJI next week. Fingers crossed. I've read of other people who have also sent theirs in and it comes back no different.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor