New to drones and new to forums

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just bought a Phantom 3 Advanced, it arrives hopefully tomorrow. I'm so freaking excited.

Any hints, tips or tricks for a literally first timer on getting the best outcome for my first few flights. I've watched a few tutorial videos. Any that people would recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You took the first step, coming out to the forums. Also see DJI's forums at: DJI FORUM

I think the basic list is:
  • Read the manual at least once
  • Do start in beginner mode
  • At first, fly in open areas, without obstacles, such as a large sports field. Just stay away from trees for the time being.
  • When you get off of beginner mode, be sure to check your RTH (Return To Home) altitude. You don't want to fly your craft around a building, lose signal, then have it try to return at an altitude that is not higher than that building. Consider checking this setting with each flight that has any kind of obstacle.
  • Don't fly near people, or over them at any distance (because these can fall from the sky and bonk folk). This isn't just for beginners.
  • Always start a flight on a full battery. Take your chances otherwise with small, nearby flights, but if you're going to go any significant distance or in a risky place such as over water just far away should ALWAYs start with a full battery.
  • Do know about the altitude height restrictions in your country? Your bird can fly up to a few kilometers in any direction, but there is an altitude restriction. In the US, the FAA restriction is 120M (~400ft) AGL (Above Ground Level, or from your take off point).
  • There are lots of other Aviation Authority rules to follow, like staying away from airports.
Chris

Thanks. That's all very helpful info and tips

most of all just have fun

If you can practice on a cheap quad like a syma 5 that's all manual it help to get better at flying. Also do not start to low from the ground, I would stay at least 30 to 40 feet off the ground in case you drop too fast. Phantom's are pretty easy to fly and do not get too confident in your skills, believe me your are not there yet. You will need many hours before you can really handle it well. Stay away from trees and buildings one wrong move of the sticks and it's bye bye birdy. You will enjoy this quad, take your time and have fun.

Reactions: GPSMapNut
most of all just have fun

I thought for sure you were gonna say "Buy a pumpkin..." lol...

In all seriousness... the hard thing for me when I bought my first Phantom, a P2 last year, was that very quickly you're going to find out how easy it is to fly, but PLEASE try not to do too much with it at first... don't get too confident until you've flown it a lot.. if that makes any sense...

Oh, and read the manual about 30 times before you get it... then read it about 30 times more after you get it... :)

I thought for sure you were gonna say "Buy a pumpkin..." lol...

In all seriousness... the hard thing for me when I bought my first Phantom, a P2 last year, was that very quickly you're going to find out how easy it is to fly, but PLEASE try not to do too much with it at first... don't get too confident until you've flown it a lot.. if that makes any sense...

Oh, and read the manual about 30 times before you get it... then read it about 30 times more after you get it... :)
waiting for you to get one

I would say the most import out of all the tips is open area and a calm wind. My first flight was 22 seconds long I lost Gps the wind took it I panicked and flew right into a tree. Thankfully it landed softly.

If I didn't waste my money on scratch-builts (working on 2 right now...) then maybe I could afford one... ;)
lol just wait next model sounds like its going to be what the flyers are asking for

It's currently 13 hours away in California, enroute to me. Thanks everyone for the tips. I will post a video of my inaugural flight once it arrives.

Reactions: TXDrone
Congratulations.
Main tips from me.
TAKE YOUR TIME.

Also open space with nothing to hit!!!

After you have done your compass calibration well away from any metal and with watch and phone away from you then you are good to go.

Start motors and let the P3 just sit there for a while to make sure everything is ok.
Full throttle launch until you reach say 20' then just let go of the sticks. It will just sit there!!!
Just take it easy and if you get stressed just stop. The P3 is so so stable it will just stay where it is.

Hand catch on landing as long as you have a helper. YES even on your first flight. Just come to a hover at say 7' and have someone reach up and grab the skid. Left stick down until the motors go off and make sure your helper turns the Phantom off straight away.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Everyone will have different experiences with flights, so best is to practice in open space without others to distract you, NEVER attempt to fly indoors without experience, always keep calm when it shows compass errors because at some point it will and you will have to manually fly the bird and in my experience don't use carbon fiber props, I had a prop failure after a few flights for no major reason that I could figure with "so called good drone world props"

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Wibble
A big one ....make sure you have the button on the left of the remote set to 'p' mode for your first flights. (this gives you gps mode and is the easiest to fly)

Welcome to the forums! Lots of information on hobby specific forums.

Enjoy your new toy. And remember it's like a car. You can beat it up a tad and it will still work. No need to treat it like a bio hazard :)

Take care of Phantom, you will enjoy it

My Phantom 3 Pro is 1 week old, biggest tip is setting it up can be a challenge. I have just a few tips to give. If you charge everything up and start it and the status it tells you to update your firmware . . . 1st. tip is that firmware is at 1.6 for controller updated by DJIGO app, 1.8.8.0 for the drone updated by using bin file in micro sd slot on camera. The firmware will update radio, camera, drone, and battery. If you have 2nd or 3rd battery you need to start each one in drone to update. Remove micro sd card either replace it with a fresh one, (I have 3 that I use) or delete bin file or it will keep trying to update each time you turn it on. I have been flying it today in beginner mode and it is a blast. Easy to fly. Hope you have as much fun as I am having. Congratulations!

Donalds tips on firmware are good, but I would preface it by saying this:

--> Fly your craft before you upgrade the firmware <--

If something is wrong with your new bird, you want to know it right away, before you add a firmware upgrade to the mix. That way, if you have to talk to a DJI tech, you can say "I did no firmware updates" and he can knock that out of the equation.

If it has older firmware, It will tell you firmware is required, but the "required" term is an exaggeration. In fact, there are some folk flying on very old firmware because they're paranoid about upgrading. But don't worry about their fears quite yet, you need to get your craft and have your first flight first.

Have fun!

Chris

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl