New to drones and new to forums

All great advice. Get into good habits from the beginning in respect to your preflight routines. If you have little or no experience it might be good to have prop guards at first. Catch landings are good but watch the props. Make sure all calibrations are ok and home point has been updated. Set your RTH at an altitude that if the P3 has to use it there will be no issues.
I used auto take off for my first 20 flights - if you are landing try and land in a short grass to start - that way if there are any issues the outcome may not be as bad as landing on gravel or pavement.
Remember - these are high quality units and unless you are touching the controls it should just sit there and hover - so if you get nervous - just leave controls alone it will stay in one place.

Congratulations and enjoy!

I'm new to the forum and new to drones. I used to fly RC Helis about 10 years ago, but put the hobby down because of work commitments. I just had a P3A(I think that's right) bought for Fathers Day, and it should arrive Tuesday. Looking forward to getting into the hobby. These tips are awesome!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm new to the forum and new to drones. I used to fly RC Helis about 10 years ago, but put the hobby down because of work commitments. I just had a P3A(I think that's right) bought for Fathers Day, and it should arrive Tuesday. Looking forward to getting into the hobby. These tips are awesome!

Welcome to the forums!! I've been here since last July when I bought my first Phantom, a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal, and have since upgraded to a P3P since last month. You will find AWESOME information here...

It's currently 13 hours away in California, enroute to me. Thanks everyone for the tips. I will post a video of my inaugural flight once it arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
You must be pretty excited like a kid ... Im two weeks old I still love getting up next morning to have another flight

Get into good habits from the beginning in respect to your preflight routines.
While I waited for my P3P, I searched around for checklists, like we use with our high-power rockets.
I created one for myself with liberal cutting and pasting from other checklists I found, and is a good starting point.
My next step is to make it shorter and more concise with just the key steps that are most important in how I have ended up actually using the aircraft - and smaller so I can stow it in a pocket.

Attachments

• Phantom 3 Pro Checklist Card.pdf
    167.1 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: kenjancef
While I waited for my P3P, I searched around for checklists, like we use with our high-power rockets.
I created one for myself with liberal cutting and pasting from other checklists I found, and is a good starting point.
My next step is to make it shorter and more concise with just the key steps that are most important in how I have ended up actually using the aircraft - and smaller so I can stow it in a pocket.

Wow... great work!! Thanks for sharing. :)

1. Make sure all 4 props are tight - before every flight!
2. Make sure the battery is fully clicked into place.

3. Remember that GPS accuracy is not exact - especially when relying on Return to Home. Just because you took off straight up and missed all the tree branches doesn't mean your landing will be in exactly the same place (no matter how many satellites you have locked.). It could be off by 10' or more so watch it carefully. Take control and land manually if there is even the smallest chance an auto landing will hit something. (Cancel RTH by pressing the button on the remote for 2 seconds)

4. Look up CSC in your manual and then don't do it while flying!

Thanks! This is super helpful.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I never owned or flew a drone until I bought my phantom 3p. A few months ago. I spent the first 30 hours ( yes 30 hours ) practicing up down left right landings, over and over again muscle memory. Every time I fly it now the first 5 minutes are spent doing the same thing. I'm in no hurry to push my limits. My point is in the event of an emergency muscle memory kicks in. For me I need to have the confidence that no matter what direction the craft is pointed and can quickly without thought control it. I also watched 20 hours of people crashing their craft and learning from their mistakes. I'm a novice with about 100 hours.

I never owned or flew a drone until I bought my phantom 3p. A few months ago. I spent the first 30 hours ( yes 30 hours ) practicing up down left right landings, over and over again muscle memory. Every time I fly it now the first 5 minutes are spent doing the same thing. I'm in no hurry to push my limits. My point is in the event of an emergency muscle memory kicks in. For me I need to have the confidence that no matter what direction the craft is pointed and can quickly without thought control it. I also watched 20 hours of people crashing their craft and learning from their mistakes. I'm a novice with about 100 hours.
Most crashes factually occur in the first ten flights. I have countless youtubes in my dji folder as well and I keep seeing em again. Good post for beginners.

Hi. Had my p3a since June last year. It's brilliant and produces stunning pics and videos. You will love it. I recommend you read the manual twice. I know it sounds wrong for 1 man to say that to another man (manuals are clearly for women) but it really will pay you dividends. I also recommend a hard case that allows 'prop on' transportation. I also recommend having at least 3 batteries.
Fly carefully and update correctly and you'll have bucket loads of fun. I've had over 120 flights and never had a problem that wasn't caused by me being a twat. [emoji15]

Actually, I preferred to have a case that requires I remove the props for transportation. That way I am forced to tighten and inspect them before every flight and I don't forget, get confused or think "aw hell - they're probably still ok" if I'm in a hurry to get in the air...

I carry my PS3a everywhere I go. It is always in my van, ready to capture the moment. I can be driving along at work and see an opportunity for some great footage. I like to photograph landscapes and skyscapes especially in the very early morning when the sun is rising or the mist is over the river. I stop, whip out the phantom and can be airborne in minutes. On landing, I inspect and check the pros and check the tightness. I'm doing what you are saying, but in a different way. I like to be ready to capture the moment that's all, and the 'props on' case really lets me do that. [emoji846]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie