New Phantom firmware 1.6

My view on this issue is there is a lot of statements that have no backing of fact, I heard statements have no basis in making an informed choice.
Personally I feel, the new update makes a safer flight and return then I am for it.

If one is to concerned about how fast, then maybe a racing drone is in your future as the DJI Quadcopter Line, never crossed my mind as being nothing but for pictures and video.

My view on this issue is there is a lot of statements that have no backing of fact, I heard statements have no basis in making an informed choice.
Personally I feel, the new update makes a safer flight and return then I am for it.

If one is to concerned about how fast, then maybe a racing drone is in your future as the DJI Quadcopter Line, never crossed my mind as being nothing but for pictures and video.
A more important question to me is what is the most battery efficient optimal speed, to get the longest flight time, and ensure a safe return to home, when in a critical situation, where you have encountered cross winds, or have perhaps pushed the limits of how far you can fly while trying to reach and cover new ground. The RTH speed is now reported to be 10m/s, which might imply that 10m/s is optimal. Any thoughts about that, or insights?

A more important question to me is what is the most battery efficient optimal speed, to get the longest flight time, and ensure a safe return to home, when in a critical situation, where you have encountered cross winds, or have perhaps pushed the limits of how far you can fly while trying to reach and cover new ground. The RTH speed is now reported to be 10m/s, which might imply that 10m/s is optimal. Any thoughts about that, or insights?

Simple question. Complicated answer.

Its like "what is the most efficient cruising speed in my car". Need a fair amount of data, and some basic calculus to sort it out.

Would love to know myself...

Its like "what is the most efficient cruising speed in my car". Need a fair amount of data, and some basic calculus to sort it out.

Good points raised here by both. Do you want fastest speed ( feck distance) or best distance (feck speed)?

Indeed. The same issue comes up in ATTI v. P-GPS mode. ATTI flies faster, but at a loss in flight time over P-GPS, such that P-GPS is still more efficient for a maximum distance flight, all else being equal, according to those who have tested it extensively.

Good points raised here by both. Do you want fastest speed ( feck distance) or best distance (feck speed)?
For me, maximum distance, as speed is irrelevant, if it still won't get it back home, before the battery is depleted. Not interested in racing, but covering more distance on a single battery charge.

it's all in judgement and the priorities one sets for themselves as it's their gain or loss, hopefully not an expensive one.

Speed getting to and from your desired altitude translates to time. To 400 ft and back equates to about a minute extra by the math given with the speeds posted. Add colder temps and wind, the battery time could be more. Cutting flight time is a concern. I've little to lose in Florida, but if I were up north I'd be a bit more concerned. Flight time is one reason the Phantom 3 is popular.

Speed getting to and from your desired altitude translates to time. To 400 ft and back equates to about a minute extra by the math given with the speeds posted. Add colder temps and wind, the battery time could be more. Cutting flight time is a concern. I've little to lose in Florida, but if I were up north I'd be a bit more concerned. Flight time is one reason the Phantom 3 is popular.
All of that only makes sense if faster speed did not cost any extra power. It does, so this does not.

it's all in judgement and the priorities one sets for themselves as it's their gain or loss, hopefully not an expensive one.
Indeed. So, hypothetically, if you should ever find yourself in a pucker moment, and realize that you might be too far from home, what speed should you use to fly it back at, to minimize the risk of coming up short, and give yourself the best chance of making it back, before reaching 10% Autoland:

1. Full speed, or
2. Manually controlled 10m/sec, now used by DJI for their RTH speed
3. Some other speed?

I am also assuming in this hypothetical that your starting return elevation is already as low to the ground as is safe, to minimize any wind, and so that the descent time will not be a contributing factor prior to landing. You can handle a forced Autoland at 10% directly above your home point, but if it gets into that mode before getting above your launch point, additional skill and luck may be required!

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtybum
All of that only makes sense if faster speed did not cost any extra power. It does, so this does not.

Listen, I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest... Just trying to contribute. Seeing as you know exactly how much power
is drawn at any specific speed, I'll leave the discussion. Geez.

I flew today on all the latest software. Two batteries, 10,000 metres. Absolutely no issues. 5 m/s ascent, 3 m/s descent. As before. Absolutely no change over prior firmware. 39.7 mph (17.75 MPs) according to healthy drones. This was in Ireland at about 12/13 degrees Celsius.

I can't see why everyone is suspicious.
Agreed. I have had 2 flights with the new firmware. No issues.

Tested this firmware today after weeks of windy weather 8mph winds today flew to 10,506ft out lost RC feed RTH worked perfectly.

Height 397ft. Speed going out 29mph speed RTH 20.5mph.

Indeed. So, hypothetically, if you should ever find yourself in a pucker moment, and realize that you might be too far from home, what speed should you use to fly it back at, to minimize the risk of coming up short, and give yourself the best chance of making it back, before reaching 10% Autoland:

1. Full speed, or
2. Manually controlled 10m/sec, now used by DJI for their RTH speed
3. Some other speed?

I am also assuming in this hypothetical that your starting return elevation is already as low to the ground as is safe, to minimize any wind, and so that the descent time will not be a contributing factor prior to landing. You can handle a forced Autoland at 10% directly above your home point, but if it gets into that mode before getting above your launch point, additional skill and luck may be required!

When going out or coming back I always go full throttle. I push my P3 to the limit frequently with 2 - 3 miles out and 2 -3 miles back and significant elevation gains and losses. I don't have hard data, but my thinking is that the pull of gravity is your biggest energy drain. The quicker you get back the less energy used just being up in the air. The forward motion once up to speed is just wind resistance and the difference between 10 meters per second and 15 meters per second while significant (over 3 times the energy), it is still nothing compared to the energy to keep over 2 pounds up in the air. What is the wind speed the props must generate to overcome gravity? A lot more than overcoming air resistance moving at 15 meters per second.

One test that could be done is to let the bird hover and see how long it takes to go from 100% to 20% battery. Then run the bird around at full throttle and time that from 100% to 20%. My guess is the difference would be smaller than you think.

I wouldn't read too much into the 10 meters per second return to home. I may be that slow to increase the chances of someone or something getting out of the way if it is coming their way, or increase the chances of you regaining control before it runs into something.

Reactions: dirtybum and Meta4
Just came back from a 12,000ft flight with this latest firmware everything works perfectly even RTH. Noticed no speed decrease at all 32mph going out and return to home coming back around 19-21mph.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart