New Owner having difficulty with choosing a range extender

Reaction score
Hey all

Ive been reading every post on the different options but i remain confused about what i need so im coming to you for help.

First some info.

I live in a mountainous region with lots of tall pine trees. This isnt a flat desert land where everything is LOS. Subsequently on my Phantom 4 stock i dont get more than 4000 feet (mostly 3500 or less) from my home in range which is much less than 1 mile. I got those copper ear things to go on the antenna to try them out and they made no difference.

I want a mod which still allows me to use my DJI backpack and my case so either the mod panel would need to come off or be small enough so i can fit it in these.

I am not looking for crazy distance and have no plans for a battery mod. I would just like to get the 3 miles i was hoping for out of it or as far as the battery allows me to go still being able to come back.

So what should i be looking at?

You'll get lots of good advice but let me say I'm surprised you see no difference at all with the parabolic WindSurfers. :confused:

Hey all

Ive been reading every post on the different options but i remain confused about what i need so im coming to you for help.

First some info.

I live in a mountainous region with lots of tall pine trees. This isnt a flat desert land where everything is LOS. Subsequently on my Phantom 4 stock i dont get more than 4000 feet (mostly 3500 or less) from my home in range which is much less than 1 mile. I got those copper ear things to go on the antenna to try them out and they made no difference.

I want a mod which still allows me to use my DJI backpack and my case so either the mod panel would need to come off or be small enough so i can fit it in these.

I am not looking for crazy distance and have no plans for a battery mod. I would just like to get the 3 miles i was hoping for out of it or as far as the battery allows me to go still being able to come back.

So what should i be looking at?

Wow , 4000 feet with trees?
Best I can get is 2000 feet with trees!
The windsurfers really made no difference? I just ordered and waiting for them.

As I wrote in an antoher topic, I was ready to buy an antenna booster (extender) untill I saw this video. Don't know if he is right (since there are many other videos that claims that they are benefits in range by using antenna boosters) but I'm also wondering why DJI have not listed any type of signal extender along other accessories (like ND filters, etc).

That's guys experience with his boosters is quite the opposite of mine. His look much cheaper and flimsy than my copper ones do.

Yes. Perhaps you are right. I have also seen videos that confirms the benefits of signal extenders (or antenna boosters). However if you check the comments below of this video you will see that this guys says that he has test more antenna boosters with no results. The only concern in my mind is why DJI have no such an accessory in its shop. In fact I have not seen yet any reliable company to sell these boosters. Most of them are from china or home made.

I have used both the dbs and fpvlr and the dbs antennas don't disappointed. The dbs antenna works much better than the fpvlr antenna. If you are not looking for crazy distances I would recommend the original dbs02 antenna . It's smaller than the max range panel but still kicks serious butt. It easily out flys the battery power of the p4 and is small,compact and very durable. Jake at maxxuav.com is absolutely has the best customer service and products for the p4. Good luck!! Fly Far and fly safe!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mmackinnon123
I agree

i have the nice copper ones in an effort to avoid an actual mod but they really made no significant difference. Even tho the p4 says 3 miles I could not get anywhere near that. I was maxing at 4000 feet orso with the copper boosters and prior to that 3500 orso. Not alot of difference.

However i am also in a rural wooded area with hills etc and i think the boosted will do better so i went with the ITELITE MAXXRANGE and hope that will help

As I wrote in an antoher topic, I was ready to buy an antenna booster (extender) untill I saw this video. Don't know if he is right (since there are many other videos that claims that they are benefits in range by using antenna boosters) but I'm also wondering why DJI have not listed any type of signal extender along other accessories (like ND filters, etc).

Reactions: phantom13flyer
They don't do much for me either with trees. I normally can get about 3-4000ft. But, I find if you fly it quite high you can actually take it pretty far (9-12000ft).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow , 4000 feet with trees?
Best I can get is 2000 feet with trees!
The windsurfers really made no difference? I just ordered and waiting for them.
i have the itelite (modded controller) and can get 8000-12000 feet with trees i would definitely reccomend it
they arent small either, they are like 100 feet high

Reactions: GKPK
i have the itelite (modded controller) and can get 8000-12000 feet with trees i would definitely reccomend it

I have been looking at the itelite. Did you install yourself? Clean install?

I'm a newb to real drones...so was thinking about waiting till i really max out my range with more experience. But it sure sucks having to drive half hour for an open area just to fly the phantom.
Even in the open areas....i get nervous when i get to the 2000 feet mark. Yesterday I did get get to 3000 feet. Controls/video seem to get a little sluggish sometimes....makes me hightail it back home!

I have been looking at the itelite. Did you install yourself? Clean install?

I'm a newb to real drones...so was thinking about waiting till i really max out my range with more experience. But it sure sucks having to drive half hour for an open area just to fly the phantom.
Even in the open areas....i get nervous when i get to the 2000 feet mark. Yesterday I did get get to 3000 feet. Controls/video seem to get a little sluggish sometimes....makes me hightail it back home!

I have found that maxxuav.com has the best customer service. The owner Jake is very hands on and does top notch work. I had him do the clean install Evo kit with the dbs02 antenna and then I got the maxx range antenna as well. Both antennas are amazing . I have no trouble getting about 4 miles range. I'm only limited by the battery now. I can also fly very low and get good penetration as well. I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have used both the dbs and fpvlr and the dbs antennas don't disappointed. The dbs antenna works much better than the fpvlr antenna. If you are not looking for crazy distances I would recommend the original dbs02 antenna . It's smaller than the max range panel but still kicks serious butt. It easily out flys the battery power of the p4 and is small,compact and very durable. Jake at maxxuav.com is absolutely has the best customer service and products for the p4. Good luck!! Fly Far and fly safe!!
Does the dbs02 come with all you need to mount and cable it?

I have found that maxxuav.com has the best customer service. The owner Jake is very hands on and does top notch work. I had him do the clean install Evo kit with the dbs02 antenna and then I got the maxx range antenna as well. Both antennas are amazing . I have no trouble getting about 4 miles range. I'm only limited by the battery now. I can also fly very low and get good penetration as well. I couldn't be happier.

I think I'll do the same . First was jus tlooking at the antennae, but now I figure might as well get the whole package!
Flying low, with trees and that kinda range...nice!
How does the new controller look / feel?

Check out maxxuav videos they will explain every thing. No type of extender will penetrate a forest, that's just the way it is.

Agreed...fly high around 400' and you should be able to go pretty far. I've gone 10,000ft in the country with plenty of big trees. And always point the controller at the bird. Watch the radar on the screen to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl