New member looking for advice please

Reaction score
New mwmber here, and a newbi in the quad world.

I'm ready to buy a P4 which will be my first quad. I've been all around the net trying to read up all I can about this device. I was going to use my Xiaomi MI3 phone with the controller, but at the store it would not connect even though DJI lists it as a recommended device. OK, moving on I decided I will go another route and purchase another device. I will use it exclusively for the P4. I read where the Chuwi HI8 is a good choice for a tablet to use. Anyone use this one that can comment please?

I also looked at the new Chuwi HI12 but can find no info whether this one will also work. ????

I am confused about GPS needed or not in my viewing device. The Chuwi has no GPS. What exactly do I sacrifice by having no tablet GPS?

Finally is there a better CHEAP Android tablet people here prefer?

get a nveida shield k1 awesome tablet

Reactions: romi
I can only recommend Android devices as I'm not a fruit fan:

Used: Nexus 7 (2013). May be able to find one new.
New: Asus ZenPad 7 ($93)
Asus ZenPad 8 ($129)
Asus ZenPad S8 ($159)(same screen rez as an Apple Retina display)
Asus ZenPad 10 ($179)(Just squeezes in the stock P3/P4 tablet clamp)
nVidia Shield K1 ($199)(Fast, HDMI out, built-in screen recorder)

* All except the Nexus 7 have Micro-SD slots.

I'm ready to buy a P4 which will be my first quad. I've been all around the net trying to read up all I can about this device. I was going to use my Xiaomi MI3 phone with the controller, but at the store it would not connect even though DJI lists it as a recommended device. OK, moving on I decided I will go another route and purchase another device. I will use it exclusively for the P4. I read where the Chuwi HI8 is a good choice for a tablet to use. Anyone use this one that can comment please?

I also looked at the new Chuwi HI12 but can find no info whether this one will also work. ????

I am confused about GPS needed or not in my viewing device. The Chuwi has no GPS. What exactly do I sacrifice by having no tablet GPS?

Before dumping your money into a phantom, i suggest buying a toy/cheaper version to learn some of the basics of flying. Wouldnt want you to risk your hard earned $$ and crash a p4. But hey its your $$, you can do whatever you like

I normally use an iPad Air 2, but on occasion I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (first edition, better screen than second). Both work great and have clear screens.

iPad Air 2 has always worked great for me. It's also the biggest display you can get without modification.

Tried the cheaper/toy Heli-Max 230 SI for 179.00 and couldn't keep it in the air for 30 seconds. Replaced each motor after a few weeks and last flight got two more motors at $20.00 each. Put it back in box to give it away and couldn't find any takers. Got the P3A, then P4 the first week, and have over 200 flights with no problem. Going cheap you get what you pay for.

I use both the Nvidia Shield 8" and the Ellipsis 10". Both work great but the Shield wins for connection lag.

Before dumping your money into a phantom, i suggest buying a toy/cheaper version to learn some of the basics of flying. Wouldnt want you to risk your hard earned $$ and crash a p4. But hey its your $$, you can do whatever you like
I couldn't disagree with this advice any more. You make flying the bird sound like performing brain surgery. The thing basically flies itself and you are just guiding it.

I can only recommend Android devices as I'm not a fruit fan:

Used: Nexus 7 (2013). May be able to find one new.
New: Asus ZenPad 7 ($93)
Asus ZenPad 8 ($129)
Asus ZenPad S8 ($159)(same screen rez as an Apple Retina display)
Asus ZenPad 10 ($179)(Just squeezes in the stock P3/P4 tablet clamp)
nVidia Shield K1 ($199)(Fast, HDMI out, built-in screen recorder)

* All except the Nexus 7 have Micro-SD slots.

Excellent summary. I like my Zenpad. Only thing I don't like is the aspect ratio doesn't fit to a standard HDTV when using Miracast casting to an HDTV. There might be a workaround for this but I haven't found it. This facet makes it the best Ebook reader I've ever seen though.

No micro SD slot could potentially be a deal breaker for me on the Nexus.

Thank you all for the advice. I think I'll order the Nvidia K1 today.

You only need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow Me mode or reset the home point to your current location after takeoff.

I couldn't disagree with this advice any more. You make flying the bird sound like performing brain surgery. The thing basically flies itself and you are just guiding it.

Thats the problem, people rely too much on the inherent mechanisms to fly. Dont get me wrong, having all the failsafes is a good insurance when flying, but knowing the basics is key to anything and gives you a better appreciation of the what you pay for in the internals. Everyones got their own opinion

Thats the problem, people rely too much on the inherent mechanisms to fly. Dont get me wrong, having all the failsafes is a good insurance when flying, but knowing the basics is key to anything and gives you a better appreciation of the what you pay for in the internals. Everyones got their own opinion
Fair enough. You keep studying the "non-inherent" mechanisms. I'm launching right now.

I believe the main reason I have never crashed or even come close is due mainly to my r/c 'plank' experience.
It's constant concentration, situation & a/c attitude awareness, and control(s) input once you commit to fight.

Many folks freak out when they are forced into Atti. Mode. Try a plank where there is no hands-off hover mode or opportunity to 'park it' in the sky while you get your 'stuff' together.

Even with my CP-helis there was only Yaw stability (tail rotor gyro).

Fair enough. You keep studying the "non-inherent" mechanisms. I'm launching right now.

The toy quad route (which is what I did) will teach you how to react with the nose pointed in various orientations without having to think.

This came in handy one day where I was forced to switch to ATTI right after liftoff and the wind was blowing my P3A into my roof. I reacted instinctively to get it out of harm's way. If I had to stop and "think', it would have been toast.

That's the problem also with airline pilots relying too much on technology. Just ask Air France about Flight 447.

I went ahead and ordered a refurbished Asus 8s tablet, it has the best screen (arguably) on an android device, and it's all about the picture in the air for me. It's a great size, well built and has some great features, has a more dense PPI then an IPad Pro. I got mine for like $120 and it rocks, came from Amazon like brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you want a p4, get a p4. Regardless of what people say, they are stupidly simple to fly. Thats why dji target a wide consumer base

gps, don't need it on your device. I use an iPad mini4 wifi only, no probs, works a treat, period.

Avoid reading too much on the forum, buy it and play slowly at first in an open field away from people, houses and trees. This way you will learn the physics of the craft and the controls. forget simulators. flying a simulator is in no way similar to the real deal.

if you buy a cheaper drone, you are just adding to your spend in the long run. the dji drones are just to simplified to crash. those who have crashed into trees, buildings or whatever were not paying attention or just plain stupid in their attempts to fly. If you are responsible and level headed you won't have an issue. If you are reckless and prone to being an idiot, you will crash it. Use your brain and eyes and all will be fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl