New Mavic to be Announced in March P5???

The biggest thing they messed with about a year ago was the "title maker" -- now that I kind of know how to use it its not so bad, but I was totally lost at first and had to find videos to walk me through it.
I like the title maker in Premiere Elements better than PP CC, way easier to use IMO.

My first & only drone = P4P+ got 12/2016;
before P4P+ introduced, I called DJI to tell
them I'd be buying P4 but camera sensor
just wasn't big enough -- the rep responded,
"Just be patient for awhile."

So this was unintended technique for
obtaining (vague) advanced info...!!!!

Could be used again to get idea of
P5 or P5P+ advances...???????????

With all the development on smaller platforms ( Mavic Air/ mavic), has the P4 platform had its day??
There is a large gap between Mavic 2 and Inspire 2 which the p5 should fill nicely.

The range will then be:

Mavic Air: extremely portable and reasonably priced but with basic quality and airtime

Mavic 2 pro: Next step up with a larger size and higher price but with p4p quality and airtime (assumption)

P5: Much larger and pricier but the entry level for pro quality with 10 bit video and interchangeable optics (assumption)

Inspire 2: High price and professional quality with x5s and x7 and raw video and heated batteries (only drone with extremely little chance of dropping from the sky unexpectedly)

Last edited:
Oh I really doubt the P5 will have interchangeable lenses -- the weight penalty would be too much for a smaller form factor drone.

Brian

I think you're going to be wrong.

We shall see, but if you look closely at the lens in the P4P you can see it is a purpose built lens to fit the camera and doing it that way the quality was pretty good while being small and light. In order to make a camera with interchangeable lenses I'd guess the added weight will wind up adding at least 50gm and perhaps as much as 100gm to the total weight, and that will reduce flight time. Not impossible but not likely on that score as well as cutting into the Inspire range of drones.

Brian

We shall see, but if you look closely at the lens in the P4P you can see it is a purpose built lens to fit the camera and doing it that way the quality was pretty good while being small and light. In order to make a camera with interchangeable lenses I'd guess the added weight will wind up adding at least 50gm and perhaps as much as 100gm to the total weight, and that will reduce flight time. Not impossible but not likely on that score as well as cutting into the Inspire range of drones.

Brian
Sinusoidal ESCs could make up for a little added weight in a removable lens scheme.

DJIs H264 implementation causes some interesting problems on older computers. The computer playback will drop frames and tear the image. It is not the fault of the DJI system, but rather the computer’s power. It is a common issue with 4k video. This problem will be much worse when H265 starts being used. Before complaining to DJI, make sure it isn’t your computer.

There are at least 2 solutions. The cheapest, as in free, is to transcode to a more playback friendly codec like ProRes. The other is a new computer powerful enough to handle 4k H264 files.

DJIs H264 implementation causes some interesting problems on older computers. The computer playback will drop frames and tear the image. It is not the fault of the DJI system, but rather the computer’s power. It is a common issue with 4k video. This problem will be much worse when H265 starts being used. Before complaining to DJI, make sure it isn’t your computer.

There are at least 2 solutions. The cheapest, as in free, is to transcode to a more playback friendly codec like ProRes. The other is a new computer powerful enough to handle 4k H264 files.

My PC, which I built myself just about 2 years ago, is based on the Intel i7-5820K CPU that is slightly over-clocked and water cooled. I have a nVidia GTX 980Ti GPU which is also water cooled. In addition 32GB of DDR4 RAM that running at 3200. My boot and program drive is a PCIe SSD of 512GB that is about 4X the speed of a SATA based SSD. I'm running Windows 10 that was virgin installed by me without all the trash of a typical store bought PC. The main storage drives that I store the raw video and audio files are two 6TB WD Black and they operate at a sustained data rate of about 195MB/sec. All in all an above average PC even by today's standards.

But, blaming the PC is nonsense anyway because Premiere Pro will take whatever time it takes to render the video so even if I was using a much slower PC the only difference would be longer render time. IT AINT THE PC!

Lastly, transcoding, ie a second lossy compression, isn't something I have any desire to do. Why should I add another level of lossy compression -- doing so can NOT improve quality.

And, once again, I do not have this problem with ANY OTHER CAMERA!

Brian

Weight factor. All the lenses won't be on there the same time...Take one off put one on..

Yes, I know that, but the lenses themselves, individually, will tend to be heavier and the mount will be heavier.

But, I think the main reason I don't think the P5, or whatever it will be called, will not have interchangeable lenses is that it would tend to cut into the Inspire line.

Brian

Yes, I know that, but the lenses themselves, individually, will tend to be heavier and the mount will be heavier.

But, I think the main reason I don't think the P5, or whatever it will be called, will not have interchangeable lenses is that it would tend to cut into the Inspire line.

Brian
I think with all the mavic hoopla they pop the P5 right in between I say around $1500 or so...Perhaps you don't get more then one lens and have to buy the others. They have to kick it up or it will be eaten by Mavic.

I think interchangeable lens P5 with 10bit would be a hit and still leave plenty of buyers for the inspire.

Biggest draw there for professionals is the x7. Should still have higher dynamic range and sharpness than a 1” interchangeable setup.

There is also a pretty significant spread in price between them.

I think interchangeable lens P5 with 10bit would be a hit and still leave plenty of buyers for the inspire.

Biggest draw there for professionals is the x7. Should still have higher dynamic range and sharpness than a 1” interchangeable setup.

There is also a pretty significant spread in price between them.

Again, I doubt we'll see interchangeable lenses for the P5 for all the reasons I've already stated, but the one thing that might point towards that possibility is the fact that DJI now has a couple drones at lower price points so it is just possible that they want to up-scale the Phantom. So, possible but not, in my view, likely!

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka