new gps system.

It doesn't need to transmit. It's recorded in the app.
Now if you hit a mountain and the drone breaks into pieces going down a few hundred meters,
the last recorded position will obviously deviate from the position in the app.
Now your tracker comes into play ;-)

If there is a disconnection between the R/C and the quad, and the RTH is not working for any reason, the quad may be hundred meters away from the last known position.
This "Find my drone" function is completely useless.

This "Find my drone" function is completely useless.
In most of the lost drone cases I've researched, the drone was not at the last recorded location and it was not powered on. In those cases, the "Find my done" feature would not have been helpful. It could be helpful in other cases though, so it's a good tool to have in your toolbox (just in case).

Reactions: sar104
I guess both you guys are right.
I had in mind some vertical crash. But obviously when connection is lost and RTH doesn't work it can end up anywhere.
Especially when it's in Atti mode in strong winds ;)

Will it not interfere with the signals or the GPS of the drone like other people are saying about the other GPS trackers?

Will it not interfere with the signals or the GPS of the drone like other people are saying about the other GPS trackers?

The GPS antenna of the P4P is dead centre-top. Tape a battery to the widget and mount it on the "face" of the P4P just above the "PHANTOM" legend with the antenna sticking straight up This avoids the antennas and compass sensors in the legs. I'd trim the battery lead somewhat. Not sure what sort of battery it would need.

If you look at the Care2 (noted in the OP) it is a little different than what we've seen in other units in that it seems to incorporate both a GPS tracker and a 'ping' tracker in one device. Standalone GPS-only trackers are limited to areas that have reliable cellular coverage and that makes them pretty much worthless to me and many others. but ping trackers (such as the Marco Polo) are very useful and it's good to see some more options on the market. I don't see this really competing with Marco Polo though due to it's much higher price and greater installation complexity (battery is separate and outboard on the Care2 vs. integral on the MP, etc.) but if you really want something 'top end' it looks interesting.

I had one that cost 600.00 used it in my free flight models.\
30 miles in the air.
3 miles on the ground.

It's transmitting in the 800 MHz band with a <1% duty cycle. It's not going to interfere with GPS reception.

If the lowest "800 MHz" channel is used, the 2nd harmonic would be very close to GPS L1 and could swamp the correlator. But if it's 1% duty cycle then I doubt the GPS would be affected much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan