New Flytrex Goodies

flyNfrank said:
WellyflyerNZ, are you doing these test inside a house, building, or vehicle? Not only that but how would a satellite connect with your device with it sitting on it's side? Satellites and cell towers are not automatic. There needs to be a little common sense when it comes to reception in general.

Something you might do if you haven't already is going to your SIM card providers website and search the 2G coverage based on your zipcode. I'm guessing you are in the US, and if so you might have already noticed how fast existing 2G areas are disappearing.

Hi FlynFrank.

Thanks for your REALLY REALLY helpful answer. What an asset to this forum your are!

These tests have been done in a house, in a car, in a wide open farm field, in a back yard, local school rugby pitch and even down by the sea. Regardless the result is always the same. This IS NOT a 2G signal problem. It doesn't take an idiot to know that you can get 2G GPRS signal inside a car or a house anyways mate. Did your old phone work in your house...or your car? ? ?

The phantom is sitting on its side so I could record the video to document the issue for flytrex's benefit. I do not NEED the GPS functioning for this test as I am purely showing the connection fault. I WAS however getting a good GPS signal with it on its side. So there you go i guess, Pal.
The orientation of the flytrex 2G GPRS modem is not going to kill the signal buddy. Did your old mobile phone not ring if it was resting on its side? ? ?

"Satellites and cell towers are not automatic" - Is that right? WOW! If only I had the time, you could explain to me what that profound statement means. Ill pass for now, but frank.....thanks

There needs to be a little common sense when it comes to replying to posts. (Im looking at you frank)

All areas used for testing have had full 2G GPRS coverage. And no, I am not from the US. I am from and currently based in New Zealand.
Vodafone, My sim provider has previously pledged to keep the 2G network open until 2020. No worries there.

Thanks Frank

Everyone else... please excuse me, when one is patronised with comments about common sense these sort of replies appear.

Cheers

WellyflyerNZ said:
Everyone else... please excuse me, when one is patronised with comments about common sense these sort of replies appear.

Q: "My camera fell off, the ribbon cable is broken, and the gimbal is going nuts. Do you think DJI will repair it under warranty?"

Q: "How did it break?"

A: "I hit a tree, crashed into the roof, and then fell 50' to the ground."
:shock:

Point being, in the time I have been here I have seen some of the dumbest, off-the-wall questions imaginable. Frank had no way of knowing what you had or hadn't done, nor your level of expertise. That lengthy, condescending, and dismissive post could have been replaced with a simple, "Thank you I have already considered and tried all those things." Then, someone might have actually wanted to help you with your issue. Its what most of us might call, "Common sense." :roll:

So, I did a test flight with my Flytrex Live. I'll post the video later but something I don't understand happens. GPS is tracking but it doesn't show the route.

Would Flytrex Live start updating firmware in mid flight?

I really need legend for Flytrex Live LED

WellyflyerNZ said:
WellyflyerNZ said:
amitregev said:
Hi guys!

Thank you all for the feedback and I'm really sorry we don't post more feedback here the last few weeks - we're focusing on new server updates as quickly as possible and getting things with the new Flytrex Live fixed and improved as quickly as possible.

Last night we completed a first server upgrade that helped us improve and solve some of the truncated mission reports. The Live data streaming speed is now also running much faster. This upgrade didn't solve things completely and we'll have another server upgrade done later on tonight which should improve things even more.

During tonight's upgrade the Live server will most likely be down for 30 minutes up to 1 hour. We'll do our best to complete this as quickly as possible. The upgrade is planned later on the night when Live activity is much lower, so we hope this won't affect any of our pilots in any way.

Together with server upgrades, we should have a new site update ready this week and another Live update with first "Re-Sync Missions" feature introduced. We're trying to get this done automatically with OTA, so this will be almost transparent for pilots.

Have a great Sunday guys! :)

Hi Amit,

Are any of the upgrades aimed to fixing the one long red six short flash on the led? Server error code, you have said.
At the moment I am getting the green light showing connection less than 5% of the time.

Does flytrex have any idea at all what is causing these errors? or a mystery?

A few people seem to have the very same issue, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I really do want to like this product, and be able to use it. so I hope this can fixed shortly. So much potential.

Thanks

Hi,
Today I managed to get my flytrex live to connect. It took about 10-15 tries but eventually it connected.
I thought I would try upgrade the firmware to see if that would help with the issues I am having. So I went on-line to flytrex to set the device to upgrade.
Once again I had to power cycle the live more than 10 times to get it to connect. Eventually it did and after some time showed the red flashing lights confirming the firmware had upgraded successfully.

I was sitting there hoping that the next time I powered it up, we would be away, connecting every time.

NOPE. NO CHANGE.

I recorded about ten videos of it not connecting. one long red, six short.

The video below shows when it finally connected. Then I tried again. Back to red flashes. I have noticed that when it does decide to connect, it is when it stays on the purple stage for about six or 7 seconds. When I see that it only stays on purple for about 2 seconds, it always goes to the red flashing.
The server error code?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AzMMxzZ ... e=youtu.be

Do you know what the issue is? and are you working on a fix?

Hi WellyflyerNZ :)

Thanks for this report! We're working hard to understand what might be causing this issue. I saw that you left the same report on our Facebook page the other day -- I posted a reply shortly after with some suggestion I wanted to see if might help. Basically I wanted to ask if you could try and set the APN manually and see if this helps resolve this issue.

Please see my reply to the same report on our Facebook page for more details. :)

Let me know if this helped. :)

Onezerosix141 said:
Purple light means updating?

If the LED is showing solid purple than no. Solid purple that remains during the initial power-up indicates that the Live is having trouble connecting to the network. There could be several reasons causing this.

However, if the LED is flashing purple-blue (should switch between the two colors every second or two), this indicates a firmware update is taking place. At the end of the process the LED will start flashing red constantly, indicating that a power restart is required to complete the upgrade process.

Onezerosix141 said:
So, I did a test flight with my Flytrex Live. I'll post the video later but something I don't understand happens. GPS is tracking but it doesn't show the route.

Hi Onezerosix141 :)

Thanks for the video and details! I think I'm a bit confused myself as well. :) Sorry..

Looking at the video and the Dashware details that were exported from Flytrex Live logged mission, as far as I can see, it seems as if the data logging worked very nicely, no? What part do you think is missing?

I'm definitely not saying there aren't problems we need to fix.. but at least with this specific flight it seems the Live worked perfectly.

Let em know what part you think is missing and I'll try to provide more feedback from our side. :)

Dirty Bird said:
Onezerosix141 said:

Flytrex Live LED Reference:

http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex-live/led-reference/

To be honest, we need to update it :( We made so many changes with the LED with our last few firmware updates so this is now out-dated. We will get this updated during this weekend -- really sorry!

We are first trying to complete the re-sync option for the Live, so if data connection is lost for any reason, it will know how to re-sync missions stored in the internal memory when data is available again. I will post more updates shortly. :)

amitregev said:
Onezerosix141 said:

Hi Onezerosix141 :)

Thanks for the video and details! I think I'm a bit confused myself as well. :) Sorry..

Looking at the video and the Dashware details that were exported from Flytrex Live logged mission, as far as I can see, it seems as if the data logging worked very nicely, no? What part do you think is missing?

I'm definitely not saying there aren't problems we need to fix.. but at least with this specific flight it seems the Live worked perfectly.

Let em know what part you think is missing and I'll try to provide more feedback from our side. :)
I think Flytrex live did a great job. What confused me was the reading from the unit and Dashware mismatch happened.
I also changed the location of the unit from the back of the under the quad to the landing skid. That seems to be working well.
If you watch the last 30sec or so, the flight is not tracked

Dirty Bird said:
WellyflyerNZ said:

Q: "My camera fell off, the ribbon cable is broken, and the gimbal is going nuts. Do you think DJI will repair it under warranty?"

Q: "How did it break?"

A: "I hit a tree, crashed into the roof, and then fell 50' to the ground."
:shock:

Point being, in the time I have been here I have seen some of the dumbest, off-the-wall questions imaginable. Frank had no way of knowing what you had or hadn't done, nor your level of expertise. That lengthy, condescending, and dismissive post could have been replaced with a simple, "Thank you I have already considered and tried all those things." Then, someone might have actually wanted to help you with your issue. Its what most of us might call, "Common sense." :roll:

After coming back online and reading the New Zealand guys response, I bet his dad told him he was a idiot a lot as he grew up.

I was only trying to help him which is why I gave him something that he might try.

Anyway for any legit people reading this, in my experiences with flytrex live tracker, usually when you get 1 red flash followed by 6 additional red flashes it means either you are not communicating with the flytrex network, or you have not entered the 17 numbers from the stickers on the bottom of the device per registration.

Btw, thanks dirty bird.

well I have the red flashes issue (1 + 6) and I just learned by calling my sim's cellular provider (T-Mobile) that despite being told that the sim I bought had minimum data plan of 200mb/month (included) that I do NOT have any kind of data plan AT ALL and need to set up a plan where they ONLY offer data for $30/month for 3GB, period (I just got off the phone)... so I suppose I need to try AT&T tomorrow...

anyway.. I ASSUME then, that this red light flash issue is a provider problem after all.. (if I remove the sim, I get 1+4 red flashing).. IDK.. I just emailed flytrex support anyway.

Jayson Hanes said:
well I have the red flashes issue (1 + 6) and I just learned by calling my sim's cellular provider (T-Mobile) that despite being told that the sim I bought had minimum data plan of 200mb/month (included) that I do NOT have any kind of data plan AT ALL and need to set up a plan where they ONLY offer data for $30/month for 3GB, period (I just got off the phone)... so I suppose I need to try AT&T tomorrow...

anyway.. I ASSUME then, that this red light flash issue is a provider problem after all.. (if I remove the sim, I get 1+4 red flashing).. IDK.. I just emailed flytrex support anyway.
Jayson I think the pay as you go minimum plan is ten bucks. More than enough data. I did not think at&t had service available for 2g???

well I tried with both today. The first ATT store I went to the guy was an ******* about the process and didn't know how to set me up.. so I left and went to TMOBILE and that guy was clueless but tried and sold me what I have.. apparently there is no "pay as you go" for under $30/month or at least, no one knows about it.. and I certainly don't.... where can I get the minumum "pay as you go" then?

Jayson Hanes said:
well I tried with both today. The first ATT store I went to the guy was an ******* about the process and didn't know how to set me up.. so I left and went to TMOBILE and that guy was clueless but tried and sold me what I have.. apparently there is no "pay as you go" for under $30/month or at least, no one knows about it.. and I certainly don't.... where can I get the minumum "pay as you go" then?
Look online. I signed up last month before canceling live order and buying core 2 instead. I actually got the sim and then found out live isn't working well in the us.

rrmccabe said:
Jayson Hanes said:
Look online. I signed up last month before canceling live order and buying core 2 instead. I actually got the sim and then found out live isn't working well in the us.

Yep....

I also bailed on live and went with core2.

I LOVE the feature set of LIVE, but 2G is a deal killer.
I wouldnt be surprised if thats also contributing to all the people that have been complaining about partial missions being reported.

Core2 has been bulletproof.

In my mind, I wont believe flytrex has any interest in the US market until they come up with a 3G option.... Their story about being "surprised" that 2G is going away is getting a bit old.... and frankly, is starting to lack credibility.

Jayson Hanes said:

T-Mobile also has a 1GB data-only plan that costs $20/month. They must have increased this as when I signed up it was $10/month plus I got a $10/month credit through the end of the year so it was essentially free until January. 1GB should be plenty for the Live's data usage.

Dirty Bird said:
T-Mobile also has a 1GB data-only plan that costs $20/month. They must have increased this as when I signed up it was $10/month plus I got a $10/month credit through the end of the year so it was essentially free until January. 1GB should be plenty for the Live's data usage.

I think you are right. I just went to their site and its gone. The cheapest I see is $20.00/month

I was in for the $10 a month but once I found out the Live was not working well for most people in the US I bailed out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka