New Flytrex Goodies

When you activate it make sure you tell them 2G. I think I read you have to tell them that specifically.

Jayson, I cant help with that. I cancelled my live order when I found out about the US problems. Their webpage used to say something about the carriers and telling them to activate it with 2G. Right now if you look on their site the link is broke so you cant see the carrier info.

Oops, here is info. Google found it even though links on site don't go there.

United States

T-Mobile - T-Mobile pre-paid SIM card. 1GB/month plan costs $10/month. However, if asking T-Mobile for a 200mb/month plan than there is no monthly fee, only one-time payment for $10 for the SIM itself. 200mb/month should cover all of your monthly flying without any problem. When activating the SIM you should ask T-Mobile to have it activated for use with 2G GPRS. T-Mobile activate this service for free.

Jayson Hanes said:
figures.. in the automated system there was no such option.. so I guess I'll call them back. I am getting a SOLID GREEN LED.. what I don't understand is that the flytrex site shows that my firmware is now up to date.. how is that possible if it's not getting online?!..

Hi Jayson :)

Solid green indicates that you have a working connection with the server, but no data is coming from the GPS connection. :/

Please verify that the Flytrex Live installation cable is indeed connected to the Live and look carefully if maybe one of the pins got broken or something like this? (Feel free to post a close-up picture and I'll gladly review).

If the cable got broken for any reason we'll gladly ship a new cable for you quickly. Let me know. :)

Jayson Hanes said:
thanks for that link! I went ahead and called again and just did the automated prepaid pass for 30 days, for 1GB of data, for $10..... so now I have to see if it works!.. I cannot believe there are so many ignorant company reps out there..

The link was for the Nano-SIM kit and you need the Micro-SIM kit.

rrmccabe said:
When you activate it make sure you tell them 2G. I think I read you have to tell them that specifically.

I don't think that really matters. I just ordered the SIM kit & plan online, plugged it in, and it worked. The Live can only connect at 2G speed and their network will detect that it is a 2G-only device.

I am bummed to report this but I flew four flights early this morning and only one transmitted the full mission log. They usually cut off between :45 seconds & 2 minutes into the flight, and the bird returns with a solid purple LED on the live (not connected). It seems once it disconnects it never makes an attempt to reconnect to the network. Sure hope the internal memory is still holding all of my flight data and Flytrex puts the Mission Uploader out soon.

The information about needing to "get 2G activated" is false. All that is needed is a paid data plan, period. They say 4G/3G, but if 2G is available in the area, it will be accessible. It was $10 for my sim card starter kit, then I had to configure and pay $10 additionally for a 1GB a month plan that auto-renews every month for $10.

I have a solid green light now, and tmobile confirmed that my sim/device was getting on their network. Just no data.

Amit from Flytrex let me know that a solid green means no GPS data.. this means I have a cable problem. When I disconnect the cable and reboot, I see the same results: a solid green.

I have been trying to find a wiring diagram for the flytrex LIVE cable.. and so far, no one has responded with anything that clearly defines what wire is connected to what in the splice. I know that a red and orange is used at the flytrex itself, but I do not know what those two wires are supposed to connect to on the gps.

So that's where I am.. I need a diagram..

or I have to wait a few days to have a proper live cable sent to me.. which I'd rather not wait for..

Do you get normal GPS functionality on the bird? Since this thing taps into the OEM GPS line it would make me think that the connectors inside are OK.

Wonder if the Core 2 cable is same? If so, maybe some of us Core 2 guys could help you.

yes I still get gps on the vision app.. 13 sats on most recent flight.. the problem is, the cable I got is a core2.. it has 3 wires going to the flytrex, a red, orange, and blue. In comparing the live cable, there is no blue on a live, and the orange is in a different position.

I removed the blue, and put the orange into the position where the blue was -- this now matches the flytrex LIVE cable on this connector.

I just do not know what is different at the splice.

OK well guess you would need someone with an actual live cable to help. Was just going to do what I could to help with a Core 2 but sounds like you are way past that.

I guess I missed that you did not have the right cable.

well the problem is 2 fold. On the website it listed these cables like the one I got as "Related items".. they were flytrex..and I knew to be sure to get a DJI cable.. i did NOT know that the LIVE and CORE2 cables were DIFFERENT.. so that is what has started all this BS for me.. then the SIM card issue.. so now I apparently have no sim issues anymore, it now is a cable problem despite my efforts to wire them the same.

I'm just annoyed at this point now that the wiring is apparently not divulged anywhere.. even the pics of the cables on sites all make it hard to tell how they are wired, almost on purpose.

I am thinking the blue wire is needed now (in the right position on the splice).. and the orange is not.. I may have been lucky just removing the orange.. so I could try a game here.. but I don't want to damage stuff..

and here is the maiden flight! http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... nes-73314/

The connection dropped out after nearly 7 minutes and went solid purple.. the 2nd flight lasted the whole time without issue. I was thinking a micro switch would do well on the bottom of the flytrex so that we could easily cycle power to it without landing, in case of a reset?.. fun stuff!! so excited!

So when you say connection dropped out you lost 2G right? And to fix that the only option is to power cycle the live? It wont come back when it sees 2G again?

Correct on the power cycle, but it doesn't do much good because you have no way of knowing the connection dropped unless you see the LED went purple, or if you are tracking live and notice the feed stops.

I did read a report with a possible solution to reconnecting. Your SIM has a phone number, and it was reported that if you call the number, let it ring and hang up, this will prompt the Live to reconnect. The way to test this would be to catch your live in the solid purple state, and call it while you are watching the LED to see what happens. Still have the problem that you don't know when it drops. Very annoying issue. 3/4s of my flights return in the disconnected state, usually after less than 2 minutes. That means the Live's ability to report the aircraft's location ends when the connection drops. :(

Jayson Hanes said:
The connection dropped out after nearly 7 minutes and went solid purple.. the 2nd flight lasted the whole time without issue. I was thinking a micro switch would do well on the bottom of the flytrex so that we could easily cycle power to it without landing, in case of a reset?.. fun stuff!! so excited!

The other thing I have suggested to Flytrex is ditching the hardwired power connector in favor of a modular plug like the data connector. This would make disconnecting the Live a simpler process if you want to use it with other aircraft. They could even combine the two connectors into a single connector. Just purchase a the appropriate connector for each model aircraft you plan to fly with.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peoplelogic