New Flytrex Goodies

installed Flytrex Live! aaaand now it's won't start...

Hello folks!
i hope everyone is doing well. it's been awhile since i posted.
well, here's the problem. like it says in the subject, my Phantom won't start after installing flytrex live.

this afternoon, i decided to install the Flytrex Live on my P2V+. so, i open it up like when i did the foil mod. i unplugged everything from the wifi unit, lift that off & i soldered the power wires to the main board where the battery connector wires into the main board. put it all back together like an idiot, and i turned it on. It turned on, gimbal moves, everything worked except the motors. it's not turning.
i checked the Tx and it's working fine. so i started thinking. may be my soldering job was total crap :(
my soldering kit was stolen while back and i borrowed my buddy's kit. it's one of those that comes with PC repair kit so it doesn't get as hot fast or maintain the heat. so, i used his soldering iron that he lend it to me.

the only problem that i can think of is my crap soldering job with crappy kit that i used. i may have to make a trip to radioshack tomorrow to by something better. i really wanted to fly this weekend since this will be my last free weekend in 6 weeks :( if you have anything i should check or i missed, please let me know!

Onezerosix141 said:
Any takers? No? I guess I'll take off Flytrex Live & see if I fried the board >.>

Installing the Flytrex should have had no effect on your Phantom, unless you damaged something while doing the install. Your camera is working so you must have plugged everything back in correctly. Are you getting GPS and normal lights? Tried recalibrating the controller? You didn't accidentally break off the capacitor that sits right next to the edge of the Wi-Fi module?

Capacitor is still there. I checked on that. I recalibrated already but I'll try that again. Another thing I was thinking was if it's the no fly zone thing. I live more than 5 mile radius from the airport but never hurts to try right? :)

Onezerosix141 said:
Capacitor is still there. I checked on that. I recalibrated already but I'll try that again. Another thing I was thinking was if it's the no fly zone thing. I live more than 5 mile radius from the airport but never hurts to try right? :)

You would know it its in a no fly zone because the lights would give 5 red flashes and it would display a warning on the app screen. Its something else. Did you remove any other plugs other than those for the Wi-Fi module? I didn't have to remove any connectors, just the outboard antenna. I removed the screw from the mounting bracket and tilted it straight up, soldered in the Live, then remounted the module and attached the antenna. Could your soldering iron have touched any other components?

Does anybody know if the GiffGaff sim has a pin? I've no other mobile to check it on but the best I've got is blue/purple on the lights and no location on the website

Embraer said:
Does anybody know if the GiffGaff sim has a pin? I've no other mobile to check it on but the best I've got is blue/purple on the lights and no location on the website
Have you tried calling customer support?

Onezerosix141 said:
i got it working! i just took it apart & assembled it again. something i did made it work.

what's the micro HDMI port for? the updates for the unit is over the air right?
and it seems like my office upstairs is pretty high up (1529ft)
http://www.flytrex.com/tomohisa/

Awesome! Updates occur over-the-air with the Live. The Micro-USB port is currently useful for the APN modifier, and ultimately for the Mission Uploader. I am still have issues with truncated missions and loss of connection even with the latest firmware. :(

That's a bummer :(
I've relocated the box to the landing skid and it seems to have better connection. The problem I'm having is altitude reading off

Hi Embraer,

Embraer said:

I have a Giffgaff sim in mine and it worked fine from new, I also have a number of other Giffgaff sims in other devices and none of them have been pin protected by default. The only way I can see it would have a pin is if somebody has set it after it arrived.

The Blue/Purple lights mean it’s trying to get a connection to the network it can take up to 5 minutes the first time. When I first installed mine knowing what the Giffgaff/O2 service is like around me indoors I took the Phantom outside and sat it on a table. Picked up a connection no problem. Also if this is the first time your connecting your Live up it may be trying to do an over the air update which also shows the Blue/Purple flashing lights and also takes a little time to complete.

A quick Blue and Solid purple flash means it’s trying to connect but I can’t remember if the flash is different between connecting and updating.

Try taking it outside turn it on let it flash and have a coffee then check when you finished your coffee, I don't get any GPS indoors either so it will only find my location if the Phantom is outdoors. :)

Cheers mate, what would we do with out forums :)

Onezerosix141 - GiffGaff don't have a customer support number, everything is online & community based. Quaint and particularly English

Hi guys!

Thank you all for the feedback and I'm really sorry we don't post more feedback here the last few weeks - we're focusing on new server updates as quickly as possible and getting things with the new Flytrex Live fixed and improved as quickly as possible.

Last night we completed a first server upgrade that helped us improve and solve some of the truncated mission reports. The Live data streaming speed is now also running much faster. This upgrade didn't solve things completely and we'll have another server upgrade done later on tonight which should improve things even more.

During tonight's upgrade the Live server will most likely be down for 30 minutes up to 1 hour. We'll do our best to complete this as quickly as possible. The upgrade is planned later on the night when Live activity is much lower, so we hope this won't affect any of our pilots in any way.

Together with server upgrades, we should have a new site update ready this week and another Live update with first "Re-Sync Missions" feature introduced. We're trying to get this done automatically with OTA, so this will be almost transparent for pilots.

Have a great Sunday guys! :)

Embraer said:

Hi Embraer :)

If you're Live is flashing Blue/Purple constantly it means you actually have a connection working. :) Assuming that the Blue-Purple flashes are repeating (and not just a single purple -> blue upon power up..), it means that your Live is currently doing a firmware upgrade Over The Air. :)

Most Live devices that we shipped are set to do a first firmware upgrade automatically when activated for the first time. This is just to get you running with the latest version when you first install it.

If this is indeed the case, you should let the Blue/Purple LED flashes continue for a few minutes (might take ±3-4 minutes). When done, it will start flashing red constantly. Then, disconnect the power and re-connect it. This time the Live will go through the initial power cycle (red -> purple -> blue) and should move to flashing green, which means you got the Live connection working.

If you would like to read more about the firmware updates and how you can learn more about your current Live firmware version, whether there is a pending firmware waiting for you etc. please take a look at the Firmware Upgrades section at the Live user manual: http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex-live/manual/#10

I hope this helps. :) Let me know how it goes.

amitregev said:
Hi guys!

Thank you all for the feedback and I'm really sorry we don't post more feedback here the last few weeks - we're focusing on new server updates as quickly as possible and getting things with the new Flytrex Live fixed and improved as quickly as possible.

Last night we completed a first server upgrade that helped us improve and solve some of the truncated mission reports. The Live data streaming speed is now also running much faster. This upgrade didn't solve things completely and we'll have another server upgrade done later on tonight which should improve things even more.

During tonight's upgrade the Live server will most likely be down for 30 minutes up to 1 hour. We'll do our best to complete this as quickly as possible. The upgrade is planned later on the night when Live activity is much lower, so we hope this won't affect any of our pilots in any way.

Together with server upgrades, we should have a new site update ready this week and another Live update with first "Re-Sync Missions" feature introduced. We're trying to get this done automatically with OTA, so this will be almost transparent for pilots.

Hi Amit,

Are any of the upgrades aimed to fixing the one long red six short flash on the led? Server error code, you have said.
At the moment I am getting the green light showing connection less than 5% of the time.

Does flytrex have any idea at all what is causing these errors? or a mystery?

A few people seem to have the very same issue, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I really do want to like this product, and be able to use it. so I hope this can fixed shortly. So much potential.

Thanks

WellyflyerNZ said:
amitregev said:
Hi guys!

Hi Amit,

Are any of the upgrades aimed to fixing the one long red six short flash on the led? Server error code, you have said.
At the moment I am getting the green light showing connection less than 5% of the time.

Does flytrex have any idea at all what is causing these errors? or a mystery?

A few people seem to have the very same issue, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I really do want to like this product, and be able to use it. so I hope this can fixed shortly. So much potential.

Thanks

Hi,
Today I managed to get my flytrex live to connect. It took about 10-15 tries but eventually it connected.
I thought I would try upgrade the firmware to see if that would help with the issues I am having. So I went on-line to flytrex to set the device to upgrade.
Once again I had to power cycle the live more than 10 times to get it to connect. Eventually it did and after some time showed the red flashing lights confirming the firmware had upgraded successfully.

I was sitting there hoping that the next time I powered it up, we would be away, connecting every time.

NOPE. NO CHANGE.

I recorded about ten videos of it not connecting. one long red, six short.

The video below shows when it finally connected. Then I tried again. Back to red flashes. I have noticed that when it does decide to connect, it is when it stays on the purple stage for about six or 7 seconds. When I see that it only stays on purple for about 2 seconds, it always goes to the red flashing.
The server error code?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AzMMxzZ ... e=youtu.be

Do you know what the issue is? and are you working on a fix?

WellyflyerNZ, are you doing these test inside a house, building, or vehicle? Not only that but how would a satellite connect with your device with it sitting on it's side? Satellites and cell towers are not automatic. There needs to be a little common sense when it comes to reception in general.

Something you might do if you haven't already is going to your SIM card providers website and search the 2G coverage based on your zipcode. I'm guessing you are in the US, and if so you might have already noticed how fast existing 2G areas are disappearing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart