New Dji Go 4 app just released by DJI!

Hey John, how do we zoom with iOS?

In the camera mode, pinch and spread to zoom. Spread to zoom in and pinch to zoom out. This only works when capturing video in 1080 using GO on an iOS device. It's pretty handy at times while flying, being able see things closer, without getting closer, and very clear in the iOS display, not pixelated. That's because it's cropping the 4K sensor.

This feature is not in the manual.

In the camera mode, pinch and spread to zoom. Spread to zoom in and pinch to zoom out. This only works when capturing video in 1080 using GO on an iOS device. It's pretty handy at times while flying, being able see things closer, without getting closer, and very clear in the iOS display, not pixelated. That's because it's cropping the 4K sensor.

This feature is not in the manual.
Thanks.

I get it...it's is a lossy process, but relatively speaking. The cropped clip is shooting in 4K, but cropping and losing pixels down to 1080. However, since the whole video is being shot in 1080, then it appears as if there is no loss of quality.

Am I correct to assume that when pinched, a new video clip is created and then when zoomed back to "normal" focal length, another clip is created?

Thanks.

I get it...it's is a lossy process, but relatively speaking. The cropped clip is shooting in 4K, but cropping and losing pixels down to 1080. However, since the whole video is being shot in 1080, then it appears as if there is no loss of quality.

Am I correct to assume that when pinched, a new video clip is created and then when zoomed back to "normal" focal length, another clip is created?
Correct, due to cropping the 4K sensor, you will see no loss in quality when shooting in 1080 while zoomed in 2X.

The video recording does not stop each time you zoom in or out, it keeps recording. The zoom is not smooth like a optical zoom, it zooms in steps. Because of that you have to edit out the zoom actions because they jump up and down in steps. To minimize this I typically zoom in all the way to 2X fast, instead of zooming slow which shows the stepping. Same with zooming out, I'll zoom out all the way to 1X very fast. Once you get the hang of it you can make it go to 2X instantly, and back to 1X instantly.

By the way, I'm unsure if GO4 supports Zoom, but I assume it does on iOS like before. Maybe others can confirm, since I never update anything unless there's a really good reason. I know that GO 3.X has supported it for over 6mos on the P4. I'm pretty sure the P4P DOES NOT support Zoom yet because of the new 1" sensor.

Last edited:
I've just started using GO4 on my P4 a couple of weeks ago and it works really well.

I'll try out the zooming tomorrow (if I remember). I usually don't like shooting in 1080 (actually, I've never shot 1080 with my P4). I prefer 4K.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl