..new cracks after shell replacement

..I know some of you (sandman) are fans of plast aid..please comment on what I've done...

1495045819559.jpg

..thank you all and Sandman in particulra, let's see how it works out now....hope to post videos now...I'm getting sick with repairs...

Ok ...

Plast Aid is really a plastic solvent - ignore the comments that will initiate !! Its MEK basically - used by the Plastic Model people as a solvent glue to join their parts with minimum glue joint visible. It is same as Plast Weld.

I have used it - but as you see yourself - it is not a structural form of glue ... in fact it can weaken what it is applied to if not careful. I didn't actually advise to use Plast Aid ... that's down to others !

I prefer a glue or compound that ADDS to the structure such as PU Glue. It fills cracks / gaps etc. and is sandable. It adds strength for no weight.
Second is the use of the metal end plates to further strengthen the arms ends.

The Plastic used in such models is difficult to find a glue that actually holds well. Resins such as Epoxy do not hold as well as some think ... it soon starts to lift away from the plastic. Polyester Resin used in traditional fibreglass work will actually eat this plastic. Polyurethane is the only one that is tenacious enough to actually hold and stay holding.

I own model and full size boats ... you soon start to learn what glues you can use and not use !!

Nigel

What do you think the best compound for strengthening the body and avoiding cracks is then?

Looks like you got quite a bit of plast-aid where it shouldn't be such as where the motor sits on where the screws go. That's going to offset the proper alignment of the motor.

Hopefully he scraped that off before putting the motor back on. I also had a little I had to remove before putting mine back on...

Me too. I had way overdone it that I had lots of grinding to do before I could close the shell. Still isn't quite right. Motors should be properly seated on mine though. Only did the back two arms, where one had a crack in the screw well holding the two halves together. Turned out the post separated a bit from the shell wall. Looks worse on the outside than inside. Hasn't spread though.

..made a test flight yesterday and all seems OK..don't need to scrape...thank you all...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga