Neither P4P will maintain altitude

I have all ios devices. I do have both apps on all devices. I use an iphone 6, ipad mini 2, and an ipad air 2. Has the issue regardless of which device I use. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the apps but it seems like such a specific issue, that I'm not sure the two apps could be conflicting with one another. Especially if only one app is open on each device. Def. no stupid questions here!

Okay I went out and did a few different test on a field. The first few, are what you asked for. The last one, is just a simple hover, followed by forward, and back. As you can see, there is a drop off on the field a little ways. After going forward, and letting it hover, you will see it climb. That is not me adjusting the height. It is climbing itself almost as if it knows it descended. At these heights, the gps and vps will be significantly off from one another until it regains its altitude. You can tell from the video that the drone is descending both forward, and backwards. Up at altitude, it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue. Thanks for taking a look.

One more thing, the other P4P and Inspire 1 do the exact same thing to the T.

Dropbox - FlightLogsUpdated
Only one DAT contains a flight in this dropbox, and it was about 5 minutes long. Everything I can see looks totally normal. The first time you hit the elevator to travel forward, the drone climbed about 3 feet which is pretty normal for a full out 30mph sprint. The next 8 second sprint, this time in reverse, did the same thing. Later on, two 10 second sprints, one forward, one reverse, and the drone did the same, climbed a bit during the sprint.

I am not sure why you think the drone is dropping and going to crash into the ground?

AFTER your sprints, the drone drops back to about the height it was before the sprint started, which is normal also. At no point while sprinting forward or backwards is the drone losing height, but is actually gaining height a bit.

At low heights the drone may look like it's dropping but it really isn't. It's an optical illusion.

I circled the sprints:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Reactions: BudWalker
Watch the video. During forward flight you can see the drone is descending. When I stop moving forward and hover it rises up the gps data and the bps are way off. Don't mean to be rude but it's not an optical illusion. The drone goes from 20 feet to literally feet off the ground. Not sure what's up with the dat files but all 3 of those were flights. That's strange in itself. What your saying about the drone rising before the sprint isn't actually happening. That's backed up by the actual video. Also on the forward sprint the field drops in the middle by about 4 feet making the height it descends that much more. I believe we have another user that said he was experiencing the sa,s thing. Maybe they can talk about their issue as well.

Reactions: D'sAdvanced
Watch the video. During forward flight you can see the drone is descending. When I stop moving forward and hover it rises up the gps data and the bps are way off. Don't mean to be rude but it's not an optical illusion. The drone goes from 20 feet to literally feet off the ground. Not sure what's up with the dat files but all 3 of those were flights. That's strange in itself. What your saying about the drone rising before the sprint isn't actually happening. That's backed up by the actual video. Also on the forward sprint the field drops in the middle by about 4 feet making the height it descends that much more. I believe we have another user that said he was experiencing the sa,s thing. Maybe they can talk about their issue as well.
I am watching the video. First circled box is at 1:53 into the video. VPS shows a small drop, while barometer shows a slight increase. However, the VPS becomes inaccurate at such high angles, so this is expected. This matches what is in the video, with what appears to be a slight drop (matching the VPS) and is again totally normal. 2:25 into the video, reverse, shows pretty much the same thing. A bit of a drop but again within normal tolerances. And the rise in height is slight after that run as well. Second video, 9 seconds in, same story as the first two. Etc and so on.

Everything looks totally normal to me. Also the baseball field is not the same height as your home point which looks like a soccer field. At no point is the craft in danger of driving into the ground.

What in saying is those numbers are not correct. The gps and vps are way off from each other. The drone is literally a few feet off tr ground over a 200 foot forward flight. When u stop and hover at the end the drone climbs back up 12 to 15 feet. When I started at approximately 15 or so feet the drone is only about 6 feet off the ground and that's eith the field dropping a good 4 feet. The return flight was a bit better but still descending. If you watch around the 2 minute mark of the first video. After I moved forward and hover, it climbs by itself. That's not me giving input. When I go in reverse, the same thing. The drone is obviously much lower than it started and again climbs up to the correct height. GPS is saying it's 18 feet while vps can be a good bit off from that. If I take it down the street in a straight line which I have done numerous times, the drone is literally 1 to 2 feet off the ground from a starting height of 12 to 20 feet. Also please watch the second video. The drone is obviously much lower than when it started, and that's with the field dropping off. It then rises afterwards back up to the correct height.

Last edited:
What in saying is those numbers are not correct. The gps and vps are way off from each other. The drone is literally a few feet off tr ground over a 200 foot forward flight. When u stop and hover at the end the drone climbs back up 12 to 15 feet. When I started at approximately 15 or so feet the drone is only about 6 feet off the ground and that's eith the field dropping a good 4 feet. The return flight was a bit better but still descending.
The drone is not "a few feet off the ground" after the 200 foot forward flight. That fence alone is probably 5 feet tall, and you look like you're going to clear it by a good 10-15 feet at the end of your run. Here is a screenshot showing how high the drone is the second you let go of the stick to stop the forward run. The VPS, barometer, and even the GPS height as inaccurate as it is, all agree that you are at a MINIMUM of 15 feet above the ground, 20 feet above home point. That's 3 completely separate altitude systems. Nor does the drone climb 12-15 feet after you stop and hover. It climbs about 3 feet at most.

I'm sorry, but the behavior you believe you are seeing simply isn't there.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 300
Reactions: BudWalker
I"m not sure why you're arguing with me. I can assure you it climbs up a lot more than you're claiming. If you watch the second video, the drone is very low and close to the fence. It's not an optical illusion, it will literally contact the ground if I let it. I do this professionally so I know what behavior is normal, and what's not. The drone is not rising up 3 feet. It climbs a good amount to match whatever height it originally set off at. Again, the field drops off 4 feet in that direction making it even closer. AGain, if you watch the second video, there is obviously a big difference b/t the height the drone started, and the height it finishes at. I'm not imagining this. Also, this test is on the field, If I were to continue, or start lower and move forward, the drone would literally smash itself into the ground without some interaction. You're making a lot of assumptions, I'm here witnessing it. Three different drones doing the same thing in different locations. Following cars on the tracks makes it very easy to discern that you're descending into them.

I make no assumptions. I've seen the logs I've seen the video. I'm done here, no point beating a dead horse.

You're making a lot of assumptions. None of which are true unfortunately. If you can't watch the second video and realize there is an issue, you probably shouldn't be attempting to help others on this forum. This is a verified issue, I was just hoping we could draw some conclusions about what the issue could be rather than make assumptions.

I also can't see it dropping altitude on the videos. I see it go up a couple of times but I don't see it dropping in altitude. The ground looks like it's not level in at the edges of the soccer field.

The field slops down in the direction of flight meaning it should end up even higher than it is. Maybe the video isn't accurately showing what you see in person. I will happy to do another video tomorrow and let it go further so it shows just how much it's actually descending. You can see the drone climb up after it's done moving forward. I assure you it climbs a lot more than 3 feet. I'm not sure why there is so much doubt here. I can promise you I have better things to do than make up a story about why my drones are descending during forward flight. I'm an experienced pilot (commercial/drone). I can assure what I'm experiencing is not normal behavior. The local RC shop I purchased them from agreed, but he was clueless as well about what could be causing this issue.

Start of video, the drone is appoximately 18 feet high. You can see the 4 foot drop in the field near the telephone pole. Near the fence, the drone is around 5 feet higher than the fence.

Maybe the wide angle lens is throwing us off. Maybe use an iPhone to get some footage of the drone flying vs internal camera footage.

No. What I'm saying is you're not going to get an accurate indication of heights by watching the video. I will happy to shoot another one tomorrow where you can more accurately see just how severe the descent is. If you don't believe me honda, please move on to a different thread. You've obviously formed your opinion about this. If you want to fly to SC, I'll gladly show you the issue then you come back on here and help me figure it out.

I would be happy to try that, I'm just not sure you'll be able to see a drone accurately 200 feet away. I will give that a shot tomorrow. The second video obviously shows the descent but I was there, so I can understand it may not be as clear. You can still see the drone climb though after stopping and hovering. The second video shows clearly that the drone is in a descent. It then climbs back up to the height it once was. Honestly not sure how that's difficult to ascertain.

No. What I'm saying is you're not going to get an accurate indication of heights by watching the video. I will happy to shoot another one tomorrow where you can more accurately see just how severe the descent is. If you don't believe me honda, please move on to a different thread. You've obviously formed your opinion about this. If you want to fly to SC, I'll gladly show you the issue then you come back on here and help me figure it out.
First you told me to watch the video because it clearly showed what was wrong. You even went so far as to say there is something wrong with me if I don't see the issue that is clear in the video. But now you're saying the video is not possible to get an accurate indication of heights.

Neither is the human eye at an object that small moving 30mph 200 feet away from you.

No I said it may be difficult for someone that wasn't there to see an accurate indication of height from internal video. I think its very obvious, but I saw and filmed it, and obviously I'm here for a reason, not trying to waste my time tracking down some rogue issue. LOL i can assure you I can see that my drone is about to crash, being only feet off the ground from 200 feet away. Especially when the sensors are on and screaming at me.

Reactions: D'sAdvanced
I would be happy to try that, I'm just not sure you'll be able to see a drone accurately 200 feet away. I will give that a shot tomorrow. The second video obviously shows the descent but I was there, so I can understand it may not be as clear. You can still see the drone climb though after stopping and hovering. The second video shows clearly that the drone is in a descent. It then climbs back up to the height it once was. Honestly not sure how that's difficult to ascertain.
Maybe get your daughter to film from the 5' fence with your phone?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews