Neither P4P will maintain altitude

Reaction score
Hello. I'm hoping i have an issue someone can help me address. I was recently out in Palm Springs flying both of these drones on a project I'm involved in. I noticed that one of my P4P would not maintain altitude. If you hold forward on the right stick, it would literally over about 200 feet crash into the ground from about 20 feet if I do not intervene. I tried everything; imu calibration, all settings to default, compass calibration, etc. No luck. I then noticed that my other one did the exact same thing. Neither can maintain altitude regardless of mode. I did the same thing to this one as well with no luck. I called DJI but they had no clue. I also fired up my Inspire 1 thinking maybe it's some kind of glitch, but it too did the same exactly thing. After some trouble shooting, I realized that I was actually below sea level. I thought this was surely the issue as it affected all three drones. Fast forward to today, when I'm back at home (800 ft msl), and they are doing the same thing. I again redid the imu calibration and compass, but neither fixed anything. I can't figure out what could be going on here. Do I have some rogue setting selected on all of these that is causing an issue? I have tried with sensors on, off, etc but to no available. I'm not sure what to do at this point honestly. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Are you in P-GPS mode?

Yes. they hover just fine but literally in every mode, they dive towards the ground over time and will not maintain altitude. Sport, gps, atti, etc.

Is the remote controller set to mode 2 instead of 1?.

Yes, mode 2. I'm not sure if flight logs would help but I can try to figure that out if it would. Thanks.

So just to be sure I follow. You launch the P4, push up on the left stick and it will climb. If you let go of the stick the P4 will maintain altitude, but if you push forward on the right stick to move the P4 in a forward direction it will start to dive?

Sorry to ask, but I assume the props are on the correct motors? Could there be a foreign object stuck in one of the motors? String, pine needles etc? Again, sorry for the off the wall questions. Just grabbing at straws here.

So just to be sure I follow. You launch the P4, push up on the left stick and it will climb. If you let go of the stick the P4 will maintain altitude, but if you push forward on the right stick to move the P4 in a forward direction it will start to dive?

Sorry to ask, but I assume the props are on the correct motors? Could there be a foreign object stuck in one of the motors? String, pine needles etc? Again, sorry for the off the wall questions. Just grabbing at straws here.
According to the OP, these are two P4P's and an Inspire 1, all exhibiting the same behavior...no P4.

Correct. Multiple drones doing the same thing. Also, it doesn't have to be forward. Any direction will cause it to descend and not maintain altitude and at a fairly quick rate. It's almost like the sticks are allowing it to pitch over further than the gps is capable of handling but that doesn't really make sense.

Hello. I'm hoping i have an issue someone can help me address. I was recently out in Palm Springs flying both of these drones on a project I'm involved in. I noticed that one of my P4P would not maintain altitude. If you hold forward on the right stick, it would literally over about 200 feet crash into the ground from about 20 feet if I do not intervene. I tried everything; imu calibration, all settings to default, compass calibration, etc. No luck. I then noticed that my other one did the exact same thing. Neither can maintain altitude regardless of mode. I did the same thing to this one as well with no luck. I called DJI but they had no clue. I also fired up my Inspire 1 thinking maybe it's some kind of glitch, but it too did the same exactly thing. After some trouble shooting, I realized that I was actually below sea level. I thought this was surely the issue as it affected all three drones. Fast forward to today, when I'm back at home (800 ft msl), and they are doing the same thing. I again redid the imu calibration and compass, but neither fixed anything. I can't figure out what could be going on here. Do I have some rogue setting selected on all of these that is causing an issue? I have tried with sensors on, off, etc but to no available. I'm not sure what to do at this point honestly. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
So what has happened since the last time these drones flew correctly? Wow this is wild it's doing it with your P4P and and Inspire 1! Following to see what you find out for sure.

So three different drones, 3 different controllers, and 3 different locations correct? Is the phone or tablet being used on all devices the same one? Even still, I can not seeing an issue with DJI Go causing that but there has to be a common somewhere.

I have an app installed on my iPhone that could reveal what is going on, it is called Magnetology. In a nut shell the app allows to watch the state of Earth's geomagnetic fields. Drones are vulnerable to geomagnetic storms or fields.

DJI Phantoms use GPS to calculate their position above the Earth. It’s what makes them so easy to fly and the Phantom's GPS programming powers the Failsafe, Home Lock, and Ground Station features, but what are the risks of losing satellite connection? One of the external forces that can reduce the satellite signal strength and cause a string of mishaps that might lead to the dreaded flyaway is a geomagnetic storm.

I'd be curious what the app will reveal at this location.

I have an app installed on my iPhone that could reveal what is going on, it is called Magnetology. In a nut shell the app allows to watch the state of Earth's geomagnetic fields. Drones are vulnerable to geomagnetic storms or fields.

DJI Phantoms use GPS to calculate their position above the Earth. It’s what makes them so easy to fly and the Phantom's GPS programming powers the Failsafe, Home Lock, and Ground Station features, but what are the risks of losing satellite connection? One of the external forces that can reduce the satellite signal strength and cause a string of mishaps that might lead to the dreaded flyaway is a geomagnetic storm.

I'd be curious what the app will reveal at this location.
Unlikely. Otherwise, everyone else in CA would be experiencing the same behavior! I've never seen that any of the Magnetology app warnings have any impact on any DJI flights.

Reactions: RémyHeli and Meta4
That is right. It started with one P4P. These were all new units by the way prior to this trip so I honestly can't recall if this was happening prior to leaving for Palm Springs. Once the first drone displayed the issue, I thought it was the only one. Pulled out the second, same thing, pulled out the inspire, same thing. I can't recall any of these drones every having this issues. I went through numbers fixes. IMU, compass, relinking controllers, frequencies, uninstall apps and reinstall, firmware, dji assistant, etc. I have tried multiple ipads, and an iphone. The inspire one uses the first dji go app as you guys know. I thought it might be limited to just the P4P and accepted that the sea level issue was the problem. I got my equipment back today though and was eager to try it out. Same thing. Took inside, imu, compass calibration, returned and flew. Issue still there. Stumped honestly.

Geomagnetic affects have no effect on the altitude behaviour of a Phantom which comes from the barometer in the IMU.

All ios devices. Yes totally different areas of the country. I'm from greenville, SC. Initially, I contacting the guy I bought them from. He was stumped as well, but thought it might be some kind of expo setting messing up the controllers. I restored and reset all of those, but to no avail. DJI basically just said return them.

Have you ever successfully flown these drones? Do you have any Bionics? ( G )

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj