Neither P4P will maintain altitude

The Inspire I have had for over a year. I don't recall ever having this issue as it's so noticeable. The p4p's were too new to me to have put much flight time on them prior to my trip. I honestly don't know if they were doing it before hand or not. No bionics. I'm not crazy right? These things are supposed to maintain altitude when moving any direction right? Could the barometers somehow have been damaged being out there?

I noticed that one of my P4P would not maintain altitude. If you hold forward on the right stick, it would literally over about 200 feet crash into the ground from about 20 feet if I do not intervene.
Do you notice this behaviour at any other altitude - what happens if you try it at 100 feet?
Does your telemetry appear to be accurate - does your on-screen altitude indication show the Phantom losing altitude?
Could the barometers somehow have been damaged being out there?
Unlikely to happen to all three and recalibrating the IMU should sort it out if it did.

It's much more noticeable low b/c you can use the terrain to see that it's obviously descending. If you go high, and bring it in low within vps range, the gps and vps will be way off from one another. Then when you hover, they slowly climb back up almost like they know they should be at a higher altitude. When holding forward or any direction, yes it does indicate that I'm descending at so many feet per second even with no input on left stick. The gps will no indicate that it is losing altitude until i land, then it goes back to zero. The vps on the other hand shows it and then the collison alarm goes off. I've tried turning all sensors off and it doesn't have any impact. I've also tried turning vps off, nothing

If you go high, and bring it in low within vps range, the gps and vps will be way off from one another.
... The gps will no indicate that it is losing altitude until i land, then it goes back to zero.
GPS is only used for horizontal position and measuring speed.
It is unrelated to anything altitude related which is all from the barometer in the IMU.

Reactions: PunaPhantom
GPS is only used for horizontal position and measuring speed.
It is unrelated to anything altitude related which is all from the barometer in the IMU.
Can the barometers get fried in heat? He was in Palm Desert, might have left them in the car, where internal temps can rise to 140° or higher...

Na I was just out there for 2 weeks. It never got nearly that hot, and they weren't left in the car. That's not to say they weren't damaged somehow, but it wouldn't be a heat issue I wouldn't think.

Na I was just out there for 2 weeks. It never got nearly that hot, and they weren't left in the car. That's not to say they weren't damaged somehow, but it wouldn't be a heat issue I wouldn't think.
It was worth a shot. I spent a few days golfing in Palm Desert when the temperature reached 123°, and left an Igloo cooler in the car while playing. It warped and deformed in the heat inside the car! :eek: I can only imagine what that kind of heat might do to electronics and pressure sensitive devices!

Did anything else happen to your equipment, just before this, that could have affected the barometers in all three aircraft?

I don't think so. They were taken out on a semi by people I know. Safe and sound both on arrival and returning back home.

I don't think so. They were taken out on a semi by people I know. Safe and sound both on arrival and returning back home.
Maybe exposed to excessive heat in the semi during travel? Doesn't really make sense, as these things are shipped everywhere on semis!:confused:

I wonder what type of other equipment was in there with them? Is there anything that can freak a Barometer out?

Maybe excessive vibration? Tires can survive just about everything, so no need for a soft ride. Electronics not so much. :confused:

Yeah I can't imagine all 3 drones would be damaged in the same way due to vibration. Doesn't sound like we have any idea yet.

I've been dumbfounded by this and today thought for sure I would find out it was just a sea level issue. I will pull the other drones out tomorrow and try them as well.

Could they have gone through some type of magnetic scan or x-ray that damaged the internal components? That is about the only thing to explain all three being damaged in the same manner.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I don't believe so, but I'm not expert on this. They still fly fine other than this issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures