near miss with military helicopter

Given most pilots will climb to avoid a collision increasing the altitude of your phantom with the intent of avoiding a collision is probably a poor choice of manoeuvre. You are very likely to encounter AC below 400ft close to the coastline, 150ft may be a better recommended altitude. Yes there may be instances where you fly over 400ft but in general I'd prefer to keep that 100ft separation between our toys and real AC over land that the 400ft rule is intended to provide for.

I agree. While I can climb faster than descend, I think in most cases I would descend and head the opposite direction as it's very unlikely a manned AC would dive for the deck. They want to be higher in the air and I want to be on the ground.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, appreciated. The few manned AC pilots I know suspected they would pull up but none had raised the issue (including one who flys commercial jets) which makes sense, they would be unlikely to see it untill too late. It really is on us to avoid areas where manned flights are considered likely. The last occasion I was in a small AC the pilot told me on approach to land she was concerned about a drone that had been seen in the area. Surprisingly she was more concerned about damage to the control surfaces than the propellor. I would have imagined comming through the windscreen would be the worst case scenario.
Coming through the windscreen would be the worst case scenario, to me. Immediate chaos and loss of control. Several pilots a year have ducks, or geese come through the windscreen. Control surface damage, causing loss of control, is up there too, but much less likely in my opinion.

Coming through the windscreen would be the worst case scenario, to me. Immediate chaos and loss of control. Several pilots a year have ducks, or geese come through the windscreen. Control surface damage, causing loss of control, is up there too, but much less likely in my opinion.
Thank you. I will stick to my current practice of having at least one spotter at a high vantage point and researching the habits of regular pilots who fly in the area. 200ft seems to be a common altitude over the water for the sight seeing fixed wings with emergency services often lower on the coastline where I frequently fly. Thankfully all the emergency AC seem to fly with transponders active (I can see them on AirMap) while probably only one in three small fixed wing do. From a good vantage point unaided vision provides worse case a minutes warning of an approaching AC, plenty of time to be well out of harms way.

Thank you. I will stick to my current practice of having at least one spotter at a high vantage point and researching the habits of regular pilots who fly in the area. 200ft seems to be a common altitude over the water for the sight seeing fixed wings with emergency services often lower on the coastline where I frequently fly. Thankfully all the emergency AC seem to fly with transponders active (I can see them on AirMap) while probably only one in three small fixed wing do. From a good vantage point unaided vision provides worse case a minutes warning of an approaching AC, plenty of time to be well out of harms way.
I like it. Good show. Enjoy flying!

While I defer the experience to Crack (he's got me 2x) I do know my "first reaction" is to pull up and away from whatever I'm avoiding unless it's above my horizon. Then it's "maybe this maybe that" depending on what I see happening. My gut tells me "get far away from terra firma and sort out the details later".

Reactions: Crack The Sky
While I defer the experience to Crack (he's got me 2x) I do know my "first reaction" is to pull up and away from whatever I'm avoiding unless it's above my horizon. Then it's "maybe this maybe that" depending on what I see happening. My gut tells me "get far away from terra firma and sort out the details later".
I knew the "banking to keep the drone in sight" statement would raise eyebrows. I should have added, "unless that in itself would add to the conflict". If that were true, then climb and bank away, would be my choice.

Reactions: DKG13CC and BigAl07
vfrmap.com is a wealth of information. Scroll around, zoom in, and toggle between Google earth view and FAA Sectional map view. Zoom in on any airport and left click on it. That will bring up the Airport Supplement with all of the airport information, including contact phone numbers. At the bottom of that open page, click & it will give you any nearby TFR's, also. Always check TFR's before flight.
VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Thanks for all this, awesome info.

Reactions: SteveEsqueda
Thanks BigAl- I buy in pizza from BigAl's and have BigOwl to take care of excavation work (both good Blokes), seems you have some mates in Aus. I remain confident my instinct would be to CSC the phantom if caught out over open water and seemingly that is the best course to take given the most likely manned AC response (or indeed lack of response if they didn't see me).

Thanks BigAl- I buy in pizza from BigAl's and have BigOwl to take care of excavation work (both good Blokes), seems you have some mates in Aus. I remain confident my instinct would be to CSC the phantom if caught out over open water and seemingly that is the best course to take given the most likely manned AC response (or indeed lack of response if they didn't see me).

LOL I hear similar statements a lot. I guess BigAl is a fairly world known name. Go figure LOL :)

I remain confident my instinct would be to CSC the phantom if caught out over open water and seemingly that is the best course to take given the most likely manned AC response (or indeed lack of response if they didn't see me).

We actually instruct/teach our classes that if Manned Aircraft is at risk to sacrifice the UAS in this manner whether over water or land. Keep in mind we are instructed to never fly over people and this is one reason why (I'm assuming). Many SOP's for production crews require this. Also if flying around people and erratic flight/control is experienced many SOP's mandate intentionally crashing into terra firma while under control as opposed to risking total loss and flying into people.

Reactions: AyeYo and sar104
One thing for sure is I won't be putting my Phantom anywhere in the air from my backyard this weekend. The Jones Beach Memorial Day Airshow will have the Thunderbirds team and various war planes screaming over my house to and from the shows. Not a good environment for a drone. My cousin's daughter (a local news reporter) got a ride in one of the Blue Angels last summer. Blacked out twice, barfed once, and said it was awesome.

One thing for sure is I won't be putting my Phantom anywhere in the air from my backyard this weekend. The Jones Beach Memorial Day Airshow will have the Thunderbirds team and various war planes screaming over my house to and from the shows. Not a good environment for a drone. My cousin's daughter (a local news reporter) got a ride in one of the Blue Angels last summer. Blacked out twice, barfed once, and said it was awesome.
She is soooo lucky. That will be a highlight in her entire life.

She is soooo lucky. That will be a highlight in her entire life.

Yeah.. I was more than a bit jealous. But the pilot didn't go easy on her. Barrel roll, loop, inverted flight, passed Mach1, and pulled 7g's. (Yep, that put her to sleep for about 30 seconds.) Got it all on tape. Unfortunately, it's copyrighted news footage so I can't post it.

Yeah.. I was more than a bit jealous. But the pilot didn't go easy on her. Barrel roll, loop, inverted flight, passed Mach1, and pulled 7g's. (Yep, that put her to sleep for about 30 seconds.) Got it all on tape. Unfortunately, it's copyrighted news footage so I can't post it.
I've pulled positive 4+ and negative 3, many times. It's a hoot.

1.Corona Del Mar beach is less then (5) miles from Orange County (SNA) airport and you are required to report to the controlling agency prior to conducting your flight. If you had, the chopper would most likely have been notified of your location, and been looking for you.
2. Depending on where you were on Corona Del Mar beach, you may have been in SNA Class C - SURFACE to 4400 MSL Controlled airspace.
3. Relying on a lifeguard, (or police), to tell you "it is perfectly legal" to fly is a mistake.
4. Note to a lot of you on here: Quit using your apps to check airspace and learn to read an FAA Sectional Chart.
Here is where you were flying. I am happy to assist you in determining the airspace requirements.
VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts
Crack The Sky, I have a question for you.Looking at the VFR map I see Dallas-Ft.Worth Class B Airspace and I understand that.My question is the brown outline area East of the most outer blue line.I live close to Royse City,Tx but it's in the brown inclosed area and I can't make heads or tails about the map yet.
Thank you.

Crack The Sky, I have a question for you.Looking at the VFR map I see Dallas-Ft.Worth Class B Airspace and I understand that.My question is the brown outline area East of the most outer blue line.I live close to Royse City,Tx but it's in the brown inclosed area and I can't make heads or tails about the map yet.
Thank you.

Royse City is in 700 ft Class E (the brown shaded line). You are fine to fly there.

Thank you sar104,I don't fly often there but it's nice to know I can legally.My primary flying is mostly done on weekends east out of the brown area according to the map by 8 km.

Thank you.
Good question. Gold star for you today, on attention to detail. The FAA calls that color Magenta, and if you look close you will see that the edge facing in towards Royse City is "shaded" to a light magenta, while the outer edge is sharp & remains at the darker magenta color. If you then follow the magenta stripe all they way around, it zigs & zags and jogs around, but remains a continuous ribbon all the way back to your starting point. So, it is enclosing an entire, very large area, around the Dallas/Ft. Worth region.
The line defines a difference in the airspace rules "inside" and "outside" of the area it encloses.
"Inside" of the magenta border is Class E - Controlled Airspace, starting at 700 AGL, (above ground level) & going up to 14,500 MSL, (Mean Sea Level- measured from a theoretical sea level). "Inside" of the magenta border, but below 699' AGL is Uncontrolled - Class G airspace. The Uncontrolled "G" goes from the surface to the bottom of the overlying Class "E" Airspace.
"Outside" of the magenta border is (yahoo!), Uncontrolled Class "G" from the surface to 14,500" MSL.
What this means to a "manned aircraft" is that in the Class "E" the pilot is required to have (3) statute miles of visibility to be legal for VFR, (Visual Flight Rules), flight. In the Class "G", that is relaxed to (1) statute mile visibility, (during daylight hours).
What this means to you, as a sUAS driver is, everywhere around Royse City, with-in the magenta shading is Uncontrolled - Class "G" from the surface to 699' AGL. "Outside" the magenta border to your North, East, and South, is Uncontrolled Class "G" from the surface to 14,500 MSL.
That is a GREAT place to live for flying the drones. People who live on the coasts and metro areas would die for that Airspace freedom you have at your fingertips.
Use caution West of you. It gets a little tricky out that way. We can talk specifics if you have a need to go there.
As far as notifying airport with-in (5) miles, (I'm assuming here that you are flying Hobby - Part 101), I would not get too worried about the Flying T, Phillips, Bishop, or Klutts airstrips. The worse that could happen at any of those is, they shoot your drone & you if you scare the cows...
Airpark East, Hall/Rockwall, and Caddo Mills certainly deserve a courtesy call prior to flight.
Here's their phone numbers:
Airpark East: 817-966-4170
Hall/Rockwall: 972-771-0151
Caddo MIlls: 214-585-9953 Caution near Caddo Mills - Skydiving occurs there on occasion
Here is a link to the FAA Aeronautical Chart User's Guide to help you with all of the chart symbology:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf

Have fun. Thanks for the smart question.

Thank you for your reply Crack The Sky and yes i'm just flying Hobby and I have no desire to fly west of me.I used to live in Rockwall many years ago,1980 era when the airport had a total of maybe 5 small airplanes in the Cesna 150 class.Now they have expanded the runway and buildings and landing Lear jets there.Caddo Mills has been busy with sky divers and taking up sail planes before 1980 and they do deserve some respect in what they do.It's been years since I have been out there but i'm sure it has also grown as well.Klutts airstrip,i've known Mr. Klutts since 1984 but I don't think he would appreciate me chasing his cows at all. lol I guess I do have a lot of open space to fly but it's mostly open farm land with crops.Dirt roads that is used mostly by farmers and acres and acres of land and sometimes it's just land with no crops just begging to be flown over. :)

Thank you for your reply Crack The Sky and yes i'm just flying Hobby and I have no desire to fly west of me.I used to live in Rockwall many years ago,1980 era when the airport had a total of maybe 5 small airplanes in the Cesna 150 class.Now they have expanded the runway and buildings and landing Lear jets there.Caddo Mills has been busy with sky divers and taking up sail planes before 1980 and they do deserve some respect in what they do.It's been years since I have been out there but i'm sure it has also grown as well.Klutts airstrip,i've known Mr. Klutts since 1984 but I don't think he would appreciate me chasing his cows at all. lol I guess I do have a lot of open space to fly but it's mostly open farm land with crops.Dirt roads that is used mostly by farmers and acres and acres of land and sometimes it's just land with no crops just begging to be flown over. :)
Have fun out there. You should get some reliable reception also. Enjoy

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl