My review of the P2V+ as a camera (buyers remorse? Read this

Reaction score
So I was replying to someone asking about the image quality of the Vision, wrote this nice little review then realized I was reviewing the wrong dang aircraft lol.. Figured I'd post it here for others to read I'm going to attach some comparison images as soon as I get them uploaded, so sorry if this is the wrong place for this right now, I'll move it if need be!!

The question was "which is better the GoPro or the Vision" (plus) I added the plus because apparently my reading skills aren't up to par...[emoji23]

I have been back and forth in my mind since buying the p2v+ and there are two answers, the short one, and easy answer is No the GoPro is the hands down winner, especially the 4.

That's the short and simple answer, BUT there is a much longer answer.... After research, and LOTS of footage comparison I have come to this conclusion... The P2V+ CAN be just as good (not better but equal) as the GoPro, even the 4. Obviously you won't shoot 4K with the P2V+ but that can actually be a good thing when you consider file size and ability to edit the raw footage, it takes ALOT of CPU power to do!! That being said and putting 4K in its own class and not discussing that any further right now, when compared side by side 1080P at 30FPS out of both cameras are pretty close to the same. Raw footage is raw footage, and straight out of the GoPro it "looks" a little better BUT run it through an editing program, do some color correction, remove noise, reduce fish eye, and you will still have amazing video from the P2V+. Camera settings matter as well, and the P2V+ in my opinion is much easier to work with because of the app. Low light work can be hit or miss, but that is with both the GP4 and the P2V+.

Now briefly consider still images, comparing the GP4 and the P2V+ really the V+ wins in my opinion. The GP4 is good at stills, but frankly getting the setting where I wanted them was a bit of a hassle and at times down right frustrating, the GP wifi failed at about 8 feet (regardless of what they say I have owned all 4 models and they all had terrible remote capabilities via the app. and don't even THINK of strapping it on an aircraft!!) the V+ to me is better at just about everything still image wise.

My assessment is this; having owned both the GP4 and the P2V+, decide what you want, if it's 4k then I absolutely have no choice but to recommend the GP4 for obvious reasons. If you want a package that is going to give you professional quality video, plus top of the line aircraft options straight out of the box then I say go P2V+, just understand your post production is going to be substantially more labor intensive, but your end result can easily be the same.

I know that explanation might sound pretty contradictory, but after weeks of buyers remorse buying the P2V+, I have found that I actually really love the entire platform that it offers over the GP4 options that exist. It is an extremely capable camera especially in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing.

My disclaimer is this: I flew the GP4 on a Blade 350 QX2 with a 2 axis gimbal, that platform may have made the outcome a little different but since I no longer have the GP4, or Blade, and I do not own an H3-3D gimbal I can't do a side-by-side comparison, I have only been able to compare footage shot at different times lol....

Re: My review of the P2V+ as a camera (buyers remorse? Read

In any case buying a 'better' camera doesn't make for a better video or photo.
Firstly you need a reasonably interesting subject or scene, then an eye to compose a sequence in a way to make the most of it, then it helps enormously to have good light conditions.
After that a bit of knowledge of editing and processing can make or break what you filmed.

Exactly, I had a ton more to say but didn't want to ramble or get "preachy" lol, thank you I agree wholeheartedly!!

This is a ridiculous comparison. Sure, you can set both GoPros to shoot similar quality to a V+. That's pretty much their starting point. If that's all you need, then the V+ is fine.

The H4B is not just about 4K. The only reason to use it in 4K is for the best quality deliverable at a lower resolution. But the GoPro beats the V+ at any resolution.

If you want a truly impressive shot, you put an ND filter on a GoPro, turn on Protune, set the FOV to narrow, 1080/48p, sharpness to low, color to flat. That will spank the V+ all day long. Or shoot at 2.7K/48p, medium FOV, Protune and spank it doubly hard.

Process it, drop it into a 1080p24 timeline, grade it properly and see just how much richer your 1080p projects are because you used a much much better source.

Granted, the above is not for everyone. It takes much more effort. But if the question is "Which is better?", there is no question.

Maybe ridiculous is a little much. Misleading might be more appropriate. Dollar for dollar, the P2/GoPro setup is capable of yielding a significantly better result. The value of the V+ is that it is turnkey and you have a simple workflow. The P2/GoPro requires more work to get it in the air and has a more complex workflow to get the full result. But the reward is obvious.

My apologies I was arguing with the wife and may have taken that a bit too personally lol

Certainly didn't mean to be misleading, there are tons of things to consider for certain. Perhaps I should have also mentioned that the original reply was for a user that much like me is flying for fun. I have a still photography background, and am relatively new to video. I realize there is a difference but there are also some similarities. For me it works, and trust me there has been lots of turmoil [emoji37][emoji37]

I have P2+GP4. My question about the V+ is how do you deal with sun for FPV? I use FS Attitude which is marginal quality but at least I know where/what the GP4 is shooting.

An important point left out in the stills section is that with the P2+ he photographer can take a pic of whatever he wants, when he wants and can grab a bit of video too and go back to shooting stills.
The Gopro system doesn't allow that and the workaround of taking 200 random photos at intervals is very unsatisfactory for a real photographer.

Meta4 Totally agree. I take video only and simply go out for 10 minute flights and do a lot of editing as I do not use the wireless to smartphone. Same sun issue. Is there any goggle option for the V+ ?

The best way to deal with the sun is to work with it rather than shooting into it.
Even expensive professional cameras will have trouble shooting into the sun and producing detail anywhere else in the image.
Plan your shots to have the sun behind you or shoot in overcast. conditions - just avoid looking into the sun

4wd said:
In any case buying a 'better' camera doesn't make for a better video or photo.
Firstly you need a reasonably interesting subject or scene, then an eye to compose a sequence in a way to make the most of it, then it helps enormously to have good light conditions.
After that a bit of knowledge of editing and processing can make or break what you filmed.

All of which are reasons why I suck at recording! Haha. I fly for fun and every now and then just happen to get something decent worth saving, [emoji4]

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl