My Pro has arrived

JMW

Reaction score
My new bird has landed.
Now anytips for set up and flying to avoid any costly mistakes

Get into a good pre flight routine so you have done all your checks before taking off

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

However tempted, don't fly it indoors And update your firmware!

Read AND completely understand the Manual.
Over use the simulator. If you have a question, fly it in the simulator to find the answer.
Set proper flight parameters and check them before each and every flight.
Understand/set up RC to your way of flying(map, FPV switching, antenna orientation, etc)
Fly with fully charged AND freshly charged /topped up batteries.
Conduct first flight in a WIDE OPEN FLAT, OBSTACLE FREE AREA to get up about 6-8 feet and get the feel for flight and controls.
Gradually learn to fly in Atti mode without dependence on GPS so that you can manually control bird with no automation.
Pay attention to wind speed and direction with regards to battery discharge/flight time.
Learn how to do a CSC and don't do it in flight. Also learn how to do a left stick/one hand CSC in order to hand catch.
Obey the regulations and respect other people and their property while you fly.

As you learn the above, begin the fine tuning of your photographic ability and all the camera settings both still and video.

Have a blast and be amazed like the rest of us.

Take your time... when you are outdoors and ready to fly... find a good flat area to takeoff/land...away from objects like trees/cars/homes
calibrate the compass... sit the quad on the flat area for takeoff... turn the RC on...turn the quad on... and take your time.. the quad will gather the sats and let you know when to fly... after it tells you its OK to fly check the compass readings... around 1500 is right.. let the quad get home point... let the quad take off on its own... let the quad hoover for about 30 seconds... take the left stick and push it up a little and watch the quad go up... take it up to about 100 feet... let go of the left stick... grab the right stick and move forward/backward/left/right... let go of the right stick... grab the left stick and move the stick left gently then right gently and now center the sticks... take the left stick and move it down very slightly and watch the quad come back to the ground... move the quad in small movements to bring the quad back over your level landing area and bring the quad down very very slowly until its on the ground... when it just touches the ground move the left stick all the way down and hold it... the quad will sit on the ground and shut off.... thats now your first flight... congrats :) remember... take your time and think through what you want the quad to do... don't ever panic... if you get into a panic situation just let go of the sticks and let the quad hover while you get your act together again... take your time... also practice in the house ( no props ) with the DJI GO simulator.... the simulator is pretty good at letting you experience all of the flight options without any issue of you crashing.... learn how to use all of the options in the simulator first and you will get the hang of it pretty quick...

i'll read the manual then. I have been flying a small quad for some months and can now fly indoors and out quite well. Must start the set up and updates when all are charged fully...

i'll read the manual then. I have been flying a small quad for some months and can now fly indoors and out quite well. Must start the set up and updates when all are charged fully...

Good, chalk and cheese from a small indoor quad and flying in the open.

Doing firmware update is not necessary as you may decide you do not want the feature set of latest firmware.
It is ok to fly it with you have.

Learn about how Return to home works, aerial positioning, what the switches do and the lights on arms mean.

1. Rtfm!
2. Update the firmware, or at least make sure you don't have 1.5 in the craft.
3. Use a wide open field with no trees for your first flight.

1. Go watch videos of what people did wrong on youtube/forums
2. Spend time in the simulator playing with the options (turn the wind on to simulate atti mode)
3. Just fly over any obstacles in GPS mode only and take your time with it

My first flight consisted of auto take off and auto land but I know some people dont trust that

I got my P3P over two weeks ago. I still haven't gotten up the nerve to fly it yet. I'm still studying, watching training videos, reading the manual and other 'how to' stuff. I'm also ordering other add-ons, spare parts and accessories to compliment the set-up. (It doesn't help any that I'm currently in South Dakota and it's winter.) BTW, I purchased my P3P from eDigital in a kit through amazon: Amazon.com: DJI Phantom 3 Advanced w/ eDigitalUSA Everything You Need Kit - Hardshell Backpack + 4 Filters + 4 Batteries + Charging Hub (Charges 4 batteries at once!) + more...: Camera & Photo. I think I got a really great deal on what seems to be a comprehensive set-up.

One thing, I have a 10.1 Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 as my FPV monitor. I had to order an adapter to go on the smart device holder of the controller. Then, I cut a notch in the adapter to accommodate the USB cord, mounting the Tab upside down. This works great. If I come up with any other little note worthy items. I'll post them here.

first two or three short flights done. No issues. Firmware updated on controller and bird. Compas calibrated and return home height set. I think.

1) RTFM
2) Charge your batteries to capacity the day you fly it - top off
3) Understand RTH
4) Land at 50%

Fly it in close proximity make sure you fly higher than any obstacles. Set your return to home at a height that will allow you to clear potential obstacles. Practice how to fly it in ATTI mode

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl