My Pictures are angled and I'm not sure why???!

Reaction score
In the picture below you can see how it's not a level picture. I could not get it to level out while flying. I lowered the copter down to make sure the camera was level and it is. It has no tilt to it at all. It is odd that the prop guards showed up in the picture also. They were not showing up on the screen of my iPhone when I took the picture.

Any suggestions on why this is happening?

Did you try turning off "FPV Mode" in the "Setiings" section of the DJI Vision app?

I just opened app and saw the FPV mode and the discription of what it does. Thank you I will try that.

Will this fix the issue of seeing the prop guards in the picture even though it's not showing up on the iPhone?

It's odd that you're not seeing the same thing as in the picture. It usually takes a few seconds to snap a photo, so perhaps the Phantom shifted a bit after you initiated the process to take the photo?

If your camera is pointed in the full upright position, then try pointing it down slightly. That should get the props out of the picture.

If the camera is angled all the way up, any photo you take will show prop guards. The 14mpx camera is 4:3 and everytime you take photos, it will always use the entire sensor. Even if you have it on narrow, the photos will still be using the full sensor.
There are 2 ways to remove the props - crop the photo to 16:9 or fly backwards and take photos at the same time.

or you may have a loose shaft and needs to be readjusted and shaft permanently fixed back to the motor casing.
let me know if you need help with this.

hani

As Mako79 stated in photo mode you are taking a 4:3 aspect ratio photo but your view on the app is a16:9 ratio so you are not seeing the entire image for photos on the iPhone app. Wish there was a setting to change this.

And also, I would suggest removing the training wheel prop guards when you think you are ready..
The prop guards seem to hinder the phantom. Many have had the dreaded VRS which causes the phantom to wobble and drop when descending straight down. This causes the phantom to lose "grip" of the air and slip into its own prop wash. The newer firmware have addressed this but i still wouldn't risk it.

Also, when you change back to the non-prop guard mode, make sure you use the shorter CORRECT SCREWS. Many have made the mistake by using the long ones supplied with prop guards and damaging all 4 motors.

Have you set your video to record in narrow field of view? Because this is what shows on the screen, however photos capture at full screen.

I always have video set to narrow (I prefer less fish eye) but when a friend asked me to take some photos of a property I framed up the shots in the normal way, getting everything just right and snapped away. When I got back home an looked at the images on a pc, they were far too far away - the screen was only showing the narrow field of view, while the camera was capturing everything. Does that make sense?

It was easy to crop the pics down, but unnecessary.

Back to the tilt ... if you are flying a Vision+, then it's probably because you have the FPV mode enabled as mentioned earlier. If you actually have the earlier, non-plus, version of the Phantom 2 Vision then the tilt is normal since it has a "1D" gimbal which doesn't correct for the 'copter's rolling motion.

-- Roger

Gonefishing51077 said:
In the picture below you can see how it's not a level picture. I could not get it to level out while flying. I lowered the copter down to make sure the camera was level and it is. It has no tilt to it at all. It is odd that the prop guards showed up in the picture also. They were not showing up on the screen of my iPhone when I took the picture.

Mine is a little like that (and my FPV is turned off) but not quite as dramatic. It definitely leans the same direction. I saw a post/thread somewhere about remounting the IMU to re-level it, but I'm not sure that explains this case (it may, I just don't know without a lot of thought).

slothead said:
Gonefishing51077 said:

Mine is a little like that (and my FPV is turned off) but not quite as dramatic. It definitely leans the same direction. I saw a post/thread somewhere about remounting the IMU to re-level it, but I'm not sure that explains this case (it may, I just don't know without a lot of thought).

Its called an advanced IMU calibration. You dont remount the IMU.... ;) If your Flight controller has come off your board than that is a different story.

Most tilted gimbals are fixed with 2 things. An advanced IMU calibration or clocking the motor shaft and potentiometer level with the camera body, flat side up. ;)

like i've said earlier, i think his motor shaft is off place but who listens to me? :lol:

hunch said:
like i've said earlier, i think his motor shaft is off place but who listens to me? :lol:

What do you know, everything you do is based on a hunch... lol.

hunch said:

I agree. Camera is twisted on the shaft.

Hunch is the expert. Let him fix it if at all possible. You can easily wreck your camera. I should know.. I'm the master of disaster when it comes to Camera wrecking.

But this summer I was in rural Saskatchewan, Canada and had no options - not even mail service. So I fixed my own and made this little slide show.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFxM8OOWRQc[/youtube]

His camera appears to be aligned correctly with the 'copter (look at the props). But, it isn't adjusting for the roll of the 'copter.

-- Roger

jadebox said:
His camera appears to be aligned correctly with the 'copter (look at the props). But, it isn't adjusting for the roll of the 'copter.

-- Roger

if that's the case than he has a bad Roll potentiometer or something going on with the Roll sensor board that it is not compensating back.
if he is not in the FPV mode of course.

I also have the same issue but to a smaller extent. The roll is out by about 3-5 deg and is more an irritation than a big issue. I would however like to fix it the same way as shown in the earlier video by grasping the roll shaft with pliers and twisting. However I have a newer model than the one pictured in that video and for some reason I'm finding it impossible to make it budge. Here is the slightly tilted shaft -
10669224_10152719203412933_7151375183136665739_o.jpg

And here is the difference on the front where the shaft attaches -
10888708_10152719203427933_1841346967815449653_n.jpg

As you can see they now have a steel disk that the shaft goes into and this makes it extra tight and impossible to move.
If only there was some form of calibration on the gimbal I could apply or even just a basic roll offset setting to compensate for this manufacturing error?
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl