My Phantom dropped out of the sky!! WTH!!!

Could it be a battery issue? Defective battery??
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Since you replaced the props and it flew the next day or so I vote for the battery becoming disconnected especially if you were doing any quick lateral movements.

One of my 3 batteries won't click in all the way on the top click but it hasn't fallen out yet. I was thinking about putting a putting a piece of white electrical tape I have across the back of it. It sticks well to the Phantom plastic. Another of the batteries has to be "rammed" in to close the gap all the way. In any case, I always give a tug on them to make sure they'll stay connected.

Like others have said it's probably a good idea to hook it up to the software and check all your calibrations after a hard landing (AKA as a crash).

Since you replaced the props and it flew the next day or so I vote for the battery becoming disconnected especially if you were doing any quick lateral movements.

One of my 3 batteries won't click in all the way on the top click but it hasn't fallen out yet. I was thinking about putting a putting a piece of white electrical tape I have across the back of it. It sticks well to the Phantom plastic. Another of the batteries has to be "rammed" in to close the gap all the way. In any case, I always give a tug on them to make sure they'll stay connected.

Like others have said it's probably a good idea to hook it up to the software and check all your calibrations after a hard landing (AKA as a crash).

Is that battery 'puffing'?

There should be no need to take such secondary measures.

If a battery isn't fitting properly you should put your efforts to correct that or discontinue using it rather than ban-aids.

Just so long as you don't come back here and say "my quad fell from the sky for No reason".

Had my phantom for a few months with no major issues. I took it up in culdesac for a little flight before dark last night. I did the full flight check, everything charged, compass calibrated, 12 satellites, slow flashing green lights..all is good.
Took a full speed pass about 15 ft off ground down the road and all of the sudden light go dark and phantom just drops to the pavement and slides down the road and battery slides out and even farther down road!!
Luckily there is hardly a scrape on the bird other than 2 broken props!!
Has this happened to anyone??
All I can conclude is that the battery wasnt pushed in fully and it came loose, although i firmly pushed it in as always.

PS...Took it up again over the grass and it flew flawlessly as usual, using a different battery though!

Thanks,
Tim

I had mine drop out of the sky as well, but unfortunately mine was a total loss. I did all preflight activities. I was flying showing 3 out of 4 bars on the battery and had been up about two minutes when I noticed my FPV screen started to behave erratically. It was about 120 feet away from me at this point. I tried to gain altitude as I was over a body of water while trying to move the craft towards the nearest land with only the slightest of response and then none at all. I almost made it. I was about 50 feet off shore when it hit the water and sank. I was flying with the FAT SHARK FPV system and a Go Pro mounted on it, so I lost the camera and transmitters as well. I contacted DJI to report what had happened. They offered me a small discount on purchasing another one. I think there is something fundamentally at issue with the battery. I had earlier model do the same thing but at least I was able to retrieve it from the tree it landed in. I have learned that one should never fly over places where if it drops it will be fatal to the craft. They are NOT dependable.

Had my phantom for a few months with no major issues. I took it up in culdesac for a little flight before dark last night. I did the full flight check, everything charged, compass calibrated, 12 satellites, slow flashing green lights..all is good.
Took a full speed pass about 15 ft off ground down the road and all of the sudden light go dark and phantom just drops to the pavement and slides down the road and battery slides out and even farther down road!!
Luckily there is hardly a scrape on the bird other than 2 broken props!!
Has this happened to anyone??
All I can conclude is that the battery wasnt pushed in fully and it came loose, although i firmly pushed it in as always.

PS...Took it up again over the grass and it flew flawlessly as usual, using a different battery though!

Thanks,
Tim
Mine also fell from the sky at a 45 degree angle. When recovered it seems that a motor overheated and melted the plastic and was rubbing on the housing. I think that lift was lost on that prop and it shot off that way. It is back at DJI for warranty assesment. 4 weeks now. The camera and gimbal were trashed as well.
I hope they warranty the repair or perhaps replace it with a p-3

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl