My Phantom dropped out of the sky!! WTH!!!

Reaction score
Had my phantom for a few months with no major issues. I took it up in culdesac for a little flight before dark last night. I did the full flight check, everything charged, compass calibrated, 12 satellites, slow flashing green lights..all is good.
Took a full speed pass about 15 ft off ground down the road and all of the sudden light go dark and phantom just drops to the pavement and slides down the road and battery slides out and even farther down road!!
Luckily there is hardly a scrape on the bird other than 2 broken props!!
Has this happened to anyone??
All I can conclude is that the battery wasnt pushed in fully and it came loose, although i firmly pushed it in as always.
Could it be a battery issue? Defective battery??
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PS...Took it up again over the grass and it flew flawlessly as usual, using a different battery though!

Thanks,
Tim

Yes a lot of people have experienced this to happen including myself. You are one of the extremely rare people that has came through it with a quad that is still useable. You are very lucky. Don't think for a minute this was a one time thing either.

The batteries always come out upon impact in most all cases. If you had a flight logger in your software it would help to track such issues.

I would say you had one of three things happen. Either a failed ESC or broken motor wire, or a broken gps signal which causes the to go into manual mode. You will need to remove the top cover and inspect.

Yes a lot of people have experienced this to happen including myself. You are one of the extremely rare people that has came through it with a quad that is still useable. You are very lucky. Don't think for a minute this was a one time thing either.

The batteries always come out upon impact in most all cases. If you had a flight logger in your software it would help to track such issues.

I would say you had one of three things happen. Either a failed ESC or broken motor wire, or a broken gps signal which causes the to go into manual mode. You will need to remove the top cover and inspect.
Well manual mode wouldnt make me lose all power, right? And no motor issues cause i flew it fine right after incident after replacing broken props

Just because it flew great after replacing the props and battery doesn't mean you shouldn't re-calibrate the IMU after crashing.

Reactions: Redphantom33
How does losing gps cause it to go into manual mode?.

I have no idea. The only thing I figured out was how to stop it from happening. And I do know that as it is dropping from the sky, taking the S1 switch out GPS mode and back into GPS mode it would stop falling and return to a hover.

Reactions: adrenalineshots
I have no idea. The only thing I figured out was how to stop it from happening. And I do know that as it is dropping from the sky, taking the S1 switch out GPS mode and back into GPS mode it would stop falling and return to a hover.
Losing gps should put it into ATTI...not manual

Of the various ideas presented, I think that the battery coming loose is most likely. I'm considering using a velcro strap to hold the battery in more snugly.

If all the lights went out it had to have lost power, I don't think manual mode had any "impact".

You have to be careful and make sure the battery is locked in. On some of my batteries I have to make sure theyre locked. You'll see that there's a little gap between the battery and body. I have to kinda smack it to make sure it's seated

You have to be careful and make sure the battery is locked in. On some of my batteries I have to make sure theyre locked. You'll see that there's a little gap between the battery and body. I have to kinda smack it to make sure it's seated

+1

Always tap that last inch hard enough to hear solid snap/click

Losing gps should put it into ATTI...not manual
Correct. Someone even tested that theory out in the thread flyNfrank is referring to above.

Redphantom33, do you normally hand tighten your props after spinning them on? Or, do you just spin them and let them stop?

I'll have to look into my crystal ball to see the meaning of your reply. o_O Or did you type in lemon juice and all I have to do is heat it up with a flame. :eek: :D

Hate these coded messages.:mad:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1