My first recorded flight - Northport Harbor

Reaction score
So,
After crashing my unit yesterday, I broke a propeller and the unit came crashing into concrete. I thought I messed up the gimbal for good, I decided to fly the Phantom vision + in Northport harbor. A few things happened not sure any feedback would be appreciated. So, I noticed for a time or two the video on my phone froze. Using an android and I just closed and reopened the app and for the most part that seemed to do it. Not sure why it just stops recording or it loses FPV, I certainly didn't fly it that high. I did go approx 450 feet high. For me for now thats high enough. I noticed a small aircraft that was maybe 600 feet higher and I for one want to do the right thing. I also tend to spin the unit around, but I noticed in my video at times, it still seems to have a little jello movement, not constantly smooth. I guess its due to the wind although Im not sure. One thing Im sure of, is I definitely need to find or build a cardboard sunshade around my phone. Even on highest brightness I can't see the screen in bright sunlight. Also the unit towards the end of its battery life, started giving my phone an alarm type of sound like a distress signal. As I was bringing the phantom down I noticed the green lights were flashing a bright red. Is this normal. Im also wondering how do you get the unit to do a return to home. I thought maybe its suppose to do that when the battery life is on its last leg. Suppose I hadn't brought the drone down, would the battery have just died and the thing crashed. Also, how do you do a RTH. Is it the v2 or v1 switch. I also saw in a video review, that when its attached to the software on the computer you can set it for a beginner so that no matter which way the craft is facing it will alway move forward when you move the right stick forward? I think its setting it to home?
Anyway, please go easy on me I'm not a film editor and tried to put together the highlight of what I took today. Its viewable on youtube in 1080P if you set it as such. I think I may have repeated a clip or two, but I was too lazy to edit it out. Enjoy and comments welcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slfrOpUg0ck

To address your questions...
First of all, at critical lower power your Phantom will descend only, not RTH. I return at 20% so that won't happen to me (near a lot of water).

Freezing of an android could be a version problem. I use IOS, but android users seem to like version xx.39. It also could be a distance problem. The further you get, (for me @1500-2000 feet) I get video freezes for a time. Lowering the preview quality can help.

I made a sunshade out of cardboard for myself. Helps a little.

You should really switch the software to NAZA mode. This will give you the ability to enable the S1(right hand) toggle switch to have a RTH function. Otherwise, turning off the transmitter will initiate its failsafe mode. The problem is there are 2 types of failsafe: land immediately(what a critical low battery will do) or RTH and land. I don't know what Phantom mode in the software will do.

As far as the different function of the S2 (left side toggle), it is called IOC modes. This allows course lock flying, home lock flying, and IOC off flying. Do yourself a big favor and start watching some YouTube videos on the subject. Very helpful.

Good luck, and safe flying.

PS, your link is broken. copy and paste the address from the video manager page.

DrJoe said:
PS, your link is broken. copy and paste the address from the video manager page.

This should be the video link by the original poster.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slfrOpUg0ck[/youtube]

BManCan said:
This should be the video link by the original poster.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slfrOpUg0ck[/youtube]
Wow.. my home town!
I sometimes wish I never moved.

Unrelated to your problems, Abacus, if you want some nice footage you should go down to Crab Meadow and take some footage of the meadow just south/inland of the beach.
I can't imagine that not looking amazing.

Beman,
I fixed the link...thanks...I will try all that is mentioned..and yes I'll try going to crab meadow beach..maybe not tommorrow..i will go to end of sunken meadow parkway...beach....similar...will try to get different angles...I am concerned with some jiggling on video's i've seen....not sure whats causing it....this is the raw unedited small video i did...look at the timeline at 45 seconds...and look at the boat masts....or whatever they call where the sail is suppose to be attached to...it doesnt stay in focus...kind of jiggles or goes in and out of focus..like the camera is flipping out...I will try to do a camera recalibration with software..im just hoping nothing wrong with it...i guess i always have DJI to fall back on...but i'd hate to have to send it in for repair....anyway who may know what causes this feel free to chime in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVFbZ2IfGfM

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl