More powerfull repeater?

BenDronePilot said:
themosttoys said:
007trains said:
Just like to show everyone my latest setup:

On the phantom there are two 5.8ghz pentalobe antennas for the rc control and two 2.4ghz pentalobe antennas for the camera.

On the controller is a 5.8ghz parasitic helical antenna with a 1w booster and a 2.4ghz parasitic helical with a 2w booster.

With this setup i've gone to a range of 4.8km at an altitude of 50m so i'm very happy with the results. :D

Good effort. Post the video of the full flight with full pan / yaw at 4.8km. No offence, but I know for a fact that with your antennas orientated like that (horizontal), at far less than 4.8km (regardless of amplification) when you turn sideways (pan / yaw with the antenna nulls pointed toward home) you will lose wifi signal. Of course, just to fly straight out and straight back (with LOS), your setup will work fine.

Happy flying

You're right, I tried his exact same horizontal setup, in addition to pointing down, and defiantly found pointing down to be more reliable.

Hi Bendronepilot

did you manage to clarify if the repeater is diversity or MIMO? You may remeber I was convinced that it was MIMO but you thought diversity ?

BenDronePilot said:
RemE said:
LMC said:
I don't know. Maybe one of motor or carbon props. failure. From 15 meter high crash into the river.
I use atti. mode fly and my fly skill is OK !

That's a sad story :cry:

As you say, it only takes one motor system to fail to take down the model, sorry for the loss!

Not unless you're running a 6 or 8 motor copter. :)

I've seen lab video of a quad with a Flight Controller capable of recovery from a single motor failure, it was amazing! Hopefully this will make it into our systems someday!

This is what my setup looks like now (a little ridiculous if i might add haah) ill do some test today since i just finished this last night.

f211.jpg

Wow thanks.
I've gotta say you've been a lot of help regarding my setup.
Your antennas have performed well beyond what i expected and my quadcopter is flying well beyond what i thought was possible.
Its great to see someone so keen on constantly improving the design and performance of these antennas.
Keep up the good work :D

Hey everyone! I've been following this for a while and I've decided to mod my TX and repeater with the TP Link 9dbi directional antennas: found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004UBUE2 ... 8?pi=SS115. And I have ran into a MAJOR issue. I have two of these hooked up to my repeater and I actually lost range... ALOT of range. I can only go 620 feet before I lose video connection. I checked the connections and everyone is good to go. Has anyone heard of this issue before? And does anyone have any recommendations?

FPVLR said:
Let's break 5km!

5km has been done. I helped a friend setup his P2V. I was there when he did this flight. He is not a member of this forum (he doesn't do forums). He flew from the same place I've done many of my flights from and flew to a nearby marina. He did this with one SPW24 on the P2V (with a 800mw Radiolabs amp) and HELIAXIAL24 on the repeater (with a 2.5w Sunhans amp) and a 1w Sunhans amp on the controller with an 11dbi patch. In my opinion this is way too much power, but his choice. He didn't actually make it all the way back, with the P2V force landing (3% battery) about 200 feet from us in brush (breaking 2 props) but close enough for government work. There was a 5 to 8mph wind and he loitered around about 1 minute at the marina taking a picture (that combination is what caused the short return). I also think his battery (he only has one) is not the best as it drains quicker than mine (with the same setup on the P2V) though I have changed my bearings (Boca Orange) and replaced two of my motors. After taking the picture he forgot to press the video button so no video. In my book (even though I was there), no video and there's no proof, so not worth advertising.

Attachments

• 5km.jpg
    5km.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 633
themosttoys said:
FPVLR said:
Let's break 5km!

5km has been done. I helped a friend setup his P2V. I was there when he did this flight. He is not a member of this forum (he doesn't do forums). He flew from the same place I've done many of my flights from and flew to a nearby marina.

These drones are gonna play heck with Hippie Hollow ! That was pretty ballsy doing that distance run across the lake.

Looking forward to the next round of mods on my Phantom 2V so I can keep up with you guys!

Thank you Tony aka FPVLR for doing such an amazing job with these antenna's and all of the help, research and encouragement.

MadMan said:
These drones are gonna play heck with Hippie Hollow ! That was pretty ballsy doing that distance run across the lake..

In case you are interested in a similar video. This is a similar flight (mine) only with less wind and I returned with 40% battery only going 3.75km. He went the same way only continued down the shore line at a lower altitude pausing for pictures.

http://youtu.be/UWkiqb3VlMc

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Those looking for a "More powerful repeater" might consider this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNHANS-1W-2-4G ... 19ea958f65

You would take the two pigtails out of your repeater (if you've not done it already, use U.fl to SMA (not RP-SMA)) into to attenuators (I recommend 6db) into this amp then into two Helical (I use HELIAXIAL24's and a Skew Planar on the P2V). Power it with a 12v lipo (for my recommendation, see the Ultimate battery controller thread). When you mount the helicals, separate them by 5 inches.

There are other options, but this is neat, clean, easy and will produce astonishing results.

themosttoys said:
Those looking for a "More powerful repeater" might consider this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNHANS-1W-2-4G ... 19ea958f65

You would take the two pigtails out of your repeater (if you've not done it already, use U.fl to SMA (not RP-SMA)) into to attenuators (I recommend 6db) into this amp then into two Helical (I use HELIAXIAL24's and a Skew Planar on the P2V). Power it with a 12v lipo (for my recommendation, see the Ultimate battery controller thread). When you mount the helicals, separate them by 5 inches.

There are other options, but this is neat, clean, easy and will produce astonishing results.

excellent ideas, so does 1watt 6db attenuators will also works? or still need to use 2Watts for both connector?

aFiF said:
themosttoys said:

excellent ideas, so does 1watt 6db attenuators will also works? or still need to use 2Watts for both connector?

Either will work, just use one per line (aka, you will need two 6db attenuators, one for each line out of the repeater.)

themosttoys said:
aFiF said:
themosttoys said:

Either will work, just use one per line (aka, you will need two 6db attenuators, one for each line out of the repeater.)

awesome. thanks for the info. :)

themosttoys said:
aFiF said:
themosttoys said:

Questions: 1) isn't one line out of the repeater enough? Or do you think we should put both lines working, with 2 boosters + antennas, also?
2) In case we decide to go for one line out, only, which one should we go for, the left one, or the right one (if we consider the connections are at the bottom part of the Wi-Fi receiver)?

The range extender is putting out anywhere from 100 to 185 mw

Results: "i" terminal*: 112.20mw peak, 107.98 nominal / "D" terminal*: 184.78 peak, 177.83 nominal

So I would use the D terminal

Camera puts out 126 mw

FPVLR said:
I think boosting 1 line is enough, plus you need a portable, light solution, otherwise you need a proper ground station.
the mimo booster is also a good option but it's more expensive.

It's all about bandwidth - this is not a traditional analogue set up. You need to use both channels of the mimo repeater to effectively half the data flow on each port. Remember we are streaming data. This in simplistic terms doubles your distance ( not exactly but near enough for simple reasoning ). I have built a ground station that I think will push the pv2 battery to the limit using the advantages of mimo. I have been unable to test due to bad weather in the uk.when the weather turned good this week my sunhans 5.8 ghz amp let smoke out. I have a replacement on its way from Shenzhen now but without it I will not have control past the first mile and a bit. Once I'm up and running ill post results but please remember the distances are being imited by the bandwidth as much as anything else.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl