More powerfull repeater?

Pull_Up said:
Scott I'll be looking at mounting sites for a 2.4 and 5.8 skew planar from Horizon FPV when my Rotorpixel gets here next week. I'll do a video showing close-ups of exactly how it fits and likely mount points. Like you I'd prefer everything fits inboard of the skids so it can just slot into the case without having to remove antennas. Having said that it is going to be best that the antennas have as much clear site as possible, so to get that it might be easier to place them differently and just fit before flight.

Sounds great PullUp. I look forward to the next kitchen table video. :) your number is ahead of mine for the RP gimbal. Definitely looking to try to keep the antenna inside the landing skids. Does the size of the antenna from Horizon FPV look like that will be possible with the gimbal present? I'm betting the best solution will be to mount somewhere behind the camera on the frame.

Highcloud said:
RemE said:
Bad News, it appears that most of the ARGtek's that we've been sold are fakes. They contain the previous model's board with Realtek chipset. These are actually dual antenna units (500mW each = 1000mW), the center antenna is dead!

See this Video from ARGtek showing the differences;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etB2aCkqU94

Here is a link to the real 1500mW product (Labeled "Power King-X Triple");
http://www.ebay.com/itm/802-11b-g-n-Pow ... 1219758880

I have also been in touch directly with Argtek and docooler. My understanding at this time is:

Doccoler have a valid 3 antenna solution using the 8196C IC. This is a 2T2R set up, but Docooler model usues 3 antennas. Antenna 1 and 3 are recieving, and the centre antenna number 2 is transmitting. I have also orderd an rf power meter to check for myself as well, but looks like this is a valid set up. I have stripped mine apart and I have this IC and what looks to be the ingredients for a 3 antenna set up - image atatched of my docooler board. I attached a Yagi antenna to mine yesterday and got out to 1.75KM, but now I know the what the antennas are each doing I may be able to focus the long range antennas a bit better for "listening"

I think Argtek may have some copying issues but it looks like Docooler is not one of them.....but I could be wrong

Another question then arisis. If I have somewhere between 500 and 1000mW on each antenna, and have tried a variety of PV antennas, how come Bendrone has achieved 10,000+ feet with stock repeater with a directional antenna? Could it be that the Docooler is very noisey and the DJI repeater is very quiet in terms of noise? I plan to do a temporary mod to the repaeter and find out for myself as this seems a little odd ? Any ideas anyone :?:

From what I measured I believe that any one antenna can transmit and the other two probably listen at that moment. If the outside antennas were receive only I would not have measured power. Each seemed to emit RF in my tests.

Could you refer a link/info of the cable connecting the Black Cannon RHCP Helical to decooler or does it come with the antenna ?

Hi everyone I've been testing and trying quite a few different set ups over the last 2 months. The docooler is now history. It obviously had more power but also generated a lot of noise. Taking my antenna rig and using the stock repeater and just one rhcp pin wheel I flew to 2.64 km this evening without loss of signal. Currently I'm using circular wireless helical and netgear linear patch panel on the stock repeater with a circular wireless rhcp skew planar on the PV. I suspect that with a second skew planar on the PV I will maximise the mimo set up and increase bandwidth and hence distance. While the linear patch gives away 3 DBI, the gain that it has(18dbi) seems to more than compensate. It also has an azimuth of 60 degrees and elevation pattern of 30 degrees. Will keep you posted once I punch through 3 km :D

Highcloud said:
Hi everyone I've been testing and trying quite a few different set ups over the last 2 months. The docooler is now history. It obviously had more power but also generated a lot of noise. Taking my antenna rig and using the stock repeater and just one rhcp pin wheel I flew to 2.64 km this evening without loss of signal. Currently I'm using circular wireless helical and netgear linear patch panel on the stock repeater with a circular wireless rhcp skew planar on the PV. I suspect that with a second skew planar on the PV I will maximise the mimo set up and increase bandwidth and hence distance. While the linear patch gives away 3 DBI, the gain that it has(18dbi) seems to more than compensate. It also has an azimuth of 60 degrees and elevation pattern of 30 degrees. Will keep you posted once I punch through 3 km :D

Photos of setup?

RemE said:
Highcloud said:

Photos of setup?

Will do some tomorrow and post

Highcloud said:
RemE said:
Highcloud said:

Photos of setup?

Will do some tomorrow and post

This is my test rig – looks rough but as I say it is for testing various set ups. During my lengthy testing I have discovered that the Docooler repeater is more powerful than the DJI stock unit BUT is much noisier. Using the stock repeater I was able to obtain greater distances when connected to the right antennas, than when connected to the Docooler. So lesson 1, always use the stock repeater. I tested antennas one at a time to establish the greatest range. The Netgear 18dbi patch panel was by far the best. I used a RHCP SPW24 Skew Planar Circular Wireless antenna on the PV. The most important lesson learned so far is about MIMO and the fact that we are using a digital streaming wifi connection. To obtain distance you will need 2 antennas on the repeater NOT 1. You will also need 2 antennas on the PV (I’m waiting for my second SPW24 to arrive). The reason that you want 4 antennas in total is due to Multiple In Multiple Out, i.e. each antenna talks to 2 other antennas, hence doubling the bandwidth, which will directly increase range. I have proved this. Previously running with one SPW24 on the PV and one antenna on the repeater the best range that I managed was 1.7 Km before losing the video When I added the second antenna to the repeater (I used Netgear patch and RHCP Circular Wireless Helical, just because I did not have 2 linear patch panels available) I got to 2.64 KM with full video. I turned back only due to wind and battery level. I have ordered a second 18 dbi Netgear patch and plan to run these as the two antennas connected to the stock DJI repeater. Adding a second Skew Planar to the PV will give extra bandwidth again and increase range and reliability, but at 2.64 KM (8660 ft) at 100M altitude I am convinced about the MIMO effect.

What we may all be missing is the fact that MIMO thrives on any signal, so a linear high gain panel could well be the ideal choice, multipath rejection is not important to MIMO – it figures it out itself. Where we almost all have failed to date is to connect just one patch panel to the repeater. Connect two and your range will grow significantly. Also worth bearing in mind for all the antenna developers, as this is not a typical analogue set up as used historically with FPV.

Hope this helps everyone. Will let you know when I send my application in for the 4 KM club

Attachments

• SAM_2076.JPG
    SAM_2076.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 817
  • SAM_2077.JPG
    SAM_2077.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 799
  • SAM_2078.JPG
    SAM_2078.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 780
I thought it was confirmed that the stock PV wifi uses Left Hand Polarized antennas?

I realize it doesn't matter if you swap out the camera antennas as well but for the easiest base station only mod, you are saying two big *** linear polarized patch antennas are the ticket?

Highcloud said:
This is my test rig – looks rough but as I say it is for testing various set ups. During my lengthy testing I have discovered that the Docooler repeater is more powerful than the DJI stock unit BUT is much noisier. Using the stock repeater I was able to obtain greater distances when connected to the right antennas, than when connected to the Docooler. So lesson 1, always use the stock repeater. I tested antennas one at a time to establish the greatest range. The Netgear 18dbi patch panel was by far the best. I used a RHCP SPW24 Skew Planar Circular Wireless antenna on the PV. The most important lesson learned so far is about MIMO and the fact that we are using a digital streaming wifi connection. To obtain distance you will need 2 antennas on the repeater NOT 1. You will also need 2 antennas on the PV (I’m waiting for my second SPW24 to arrive). The reason that you want 4 antennas in total is due to Multiple In Multiple Out, i.e. each antenna talks to 2 other antennas, hence doubling the bandwidth, which will directly increase range. I have proved this. Previously running with one SPW24 on the PV and one antenna on the repeater the best range that I managed was 1.7 Km before losing the video When I added the second antenna to the repeater (I used Netgear patch and RHCP Circular Wireless Helical, just because I did not have 2 linear patch panels available) I got to 2.64 KM with full video. I turned back only due to wind and battery level. I have ordered a second 18 dbi Netgear patch and plan to run these as the two antennas connected to the stock DJI repeater. Adding a second Skew Planar to the PV will give extra bandwidth again and increase range and reliability, but at 2.64 KM (8660 ft) at 100M altitude I am convinced about the MIMO effect.

What we may all be missing is the fact that MIMO thrives on any signal, so a linear high gain panel could well be the ideal choice, multipath rejection is not important to MIMO – it figures it out itself. Where we almost all have failed to date is to connect just one patch panel to the repeater. Connect two and your range will grow significantly. Also worth bearing in mind for all the antenna developers, as this is not a typical analogue set up as used historically with FPV.

Hope this helps everyone. Will let you know when I send my application in for the 4 KM club

Well you have some good info but not perfect.
Over the past decade, MIMO has revolutionized the communications industry. The benefits you state are in fact benefits of MIMO and will help in our situation, but (everything else being equal) are not likely to produce more than 30% improvement in our particular situation. MIMO is happy with multipath, so it is true that will reduce one of the typical limitations of linear antennas, but that is not the only issue, or in my opinion even the most important (orientation.) Most regular FPV suffers from multipath because of video quality / anomalies, in wifi (even without MIMO) multipath is not nearly as troubling (perhaps a lost packet here and there.) The real advantage is simply more antenna. whether it's a bigger single antenna or multiple smaller antenna, the more RF collecting material you have the more RF (signal) you will be able to collect. In the stock setup, the micropatch antennas being used were so small that using two made a significant difference. But stepping up to the size antennas you are using, you are not really gaining much benefit from MIMO. Most of the benefit is from the additional antenna material. The place MIMO (or even other diversity configuration) might help more than anything else is beamwidth (antenna aim / orientation).
Without getting into too much more (I'm not at all trying to squelch your findings, in fact I am impressed with your testing and reasoning) let me ask this. Only using one SPW24 and one Heliaxial24 with the stock camera and repeater (the same setup you used to go 1.7km) I achieved 3.2km.
One piece of advice I would give while you continue your testing, the antennas you are using (12dBi to 18dBi) are VERY sensitive to aiming at long range. You can not simply use their beamwidth specs as the lobe taper is fairly significant. One of the shortcomings of our WIFI system vs analog is what it takes to reacquire the connection when it becomes unstable. For an analog system you just readjust the antenna until the static gets better, wifi is a bit more complicated. For apples to apples testing, you should pick a common testing location and common time of day with common wind conditions. Plot a route on Google maps and setup your antennas consistent with your intended travel path. Then fly that path at the same altitude and following the route via FPV. Flying outside the path, even for a short time, could result in an unfair antenna test.

Okay, I said more than I intended to, bottom line is that the real advantage to the MIMO setup is being able to use more antenna material. Ex: two smaller antennas vs one larger, or two larger antennas to try and compensate for the small stock antennas (or the single SP) on the P2V. It is nice to have options. Keep up the good work.

RemE said:
I thought it was confirmed that the stock PV wifi uses Left Hand Polarized antennas?

I realize it doesn't matter if you swap out the camera antennas as well but for the easiest base station only mod, you are saying two big *** linear polarized patch antennas are the ticket?

Hi RemE, the most simple way to think about the relationship between CP (Circular Polarized) and LP is that they are compatible but there is a 3dBI (50% in terms of power) loss between them. Ex: using an 18dBi LP antenna will be (save other technical mumbo jumbo) similar to an equivelent 15dBi CP (of the same handedness) antenna. There are other real world differences, but this is the main point. Also, while the antennas in the P2V are LHCP, they have a strong LP contingent (in other words, they are not the best LHCP antennas ever devised) so they work fairly well with LP.

RemE said:

Yes stock antennas are mainly lhcp but with an element of linear component. Any way they only work if you fly sideways :roll:

Who wants to fly sideways ? If you are going for distance you need to see where you are going so sideways does not do it. Even more so on the way home :eek:

Changing the base antennas will help but you really need to change the PV antennas to get the range. I have found that circular wireless are the best so far for skew planar. The quality is better than anything else that I have tested. The angle of these on the PV can also make some difference. I think the best set up will be 2 x skew planers on the PV and 2 x patch panel on the repeater. The 3 DBI loss between linear and rhcp is worth the sacrifice if you can use 18 DBI x 2 on the base station.

themosttoys said:
Highcloud said:

Well you have some good info but not perfect.
Over the past decade, MIMO has revolutionized the communications industry. The benefits you state are in fact benefits of MIMO and will help in our situation, but (everything else being equal) are not likely to produce more than 30% improvement in our particular situation. MIMO is happy with multipath, so it is true that will reduce one of the typical limitations of linear antennas, but that is not the only issue, or in my opinion even the most important (orientation.) Most regular FPV suffers from multipath because of video quality / anomalies, in wifi (even without MIMO) multipath is not nearly as troubling (perhaps a lost packet here and there.) The real advantage is simply more antenna. whether it's a bigger single antenna or multiple smaller antenna, the more RF collecting material you have the more RF (signal) you will be able to collect. In the stock setup, the micropatch antennas being used were so small that using two made a significant difference. But stepping up to the size antennas you are using, you are not really gaining much benefit from MIMO. Most of the benefit is from the additional antenna material. The place MIMO (or even other diversity configuration) might help more than anything else is beamwidth (antenna aim / orientation).
Without getting into too much more (I'm not at all trying to squelch your findings, in fact I am impressed with your testing and reasoning) let me ask this. Only using one SPW24 and one Heliaxial24 with the stock camera and repeater (the same setup you used to go 1.7km) I achieved 3.2km.
One piece of advice I would give while you continue your testing, the antennas you are using (12dBi to 18dBi) are VERY sensitive to aiming at long range. You can not simply use their beamwidth specs as the lobe taper is fairly significant. One of the shortcomings of our WIFI system vs analog is what it takes to reacquire the connection when it becomes unstable. For an analog system you just readjust the antenna until the static gets better, wifi is a bit more complicated. For apples to apples testing, you should pick a common testing location and common time of day with common wind conditions. Plot a route on Google maps and setup your antennas consistent with your intended travel path. Then fly that path at the same altitude and following the route via FPV. Flying outside the path, even for a short time, could result in an unfair antenna test.

Okay, I said more than I intended to, bottom line is that the real advantage to the MIMO setup is being able to use more antenna material. Ex: two smaller antennas vs one larger, or two larger antennas to try and compensate for the small stock antennas (or the single SP) on the P2V. It is nice to have options. Keep up the good work.

I remember the excitement around the first flyers getting past 1 km ! We gave come a long way in a short space of time. I have been flying from the same spot on the same route for consistency but unfortunately no control over weather and humidity. Let me set up the 2 x skew planers on the PV and 2 x patch antennas and I'll report back. I think it will take another week to get all the bits in so bear with me.

Just like to show everyone my latest setup:

On the phantom there are two 5.8ghz pentalobe antennas for the rc control and two 2.4ghz pentalobe antennas for the camera.

On the controller is a 5.8ghz parasitic helical antenna with a 1w booster and a 2.4ghz parasitic helical with a 2w booster.

With this setup i've gone to a range of 4.8km at an altitude of 50m so i'm very happy with the results. :D

1sjc3m.jpg

mc6knm.jpg

hwmqo2.jpg

Pull_Up said:
That's rather impressively impressive!

Care to share how you went about the 5.8's on the aircraft? Did you splice into the existing antennas? If not, what's you secret for getting the epoxy off the receiver board to allow new pigtails to be connected?

Couldn't get the epoxy off so i just removed the whole connector off the board and soldered my cables directly to the board

007trains said:

On the phantom there are two 5.8ghz pentalobe antennas for the rc control and two 2.4ghz pentalobe antennas for the camera.

On the controller is a 5.8ghz parasitic helical antenna with a 1w booster and a 2.4ghz parasitic helical with a 2w booster.

With this setup i've gone to a range of 4.8km at an altitude of 50m so i'm very happy with the results. :D

Great range well done. How did you manage with battery power as 4.8 km must be at the limit or even beyond. Did you land away ?

I am using 1000mW sunhaus booster on the 5.8 but nothing on the 2.4. Which booster did you use and did you boost just one Chanel of the 2.4 ?

Looking at your mounting of the antennas do you have any problems when you fly sideways - given the null spots on pin wheels?

007trains said:

Good effort. Post the video of the full flight with full pan / yaw at 4.8km. No offence, but I know for a fact that with your antennas orientated like that (horizontal), at far less than 4.8km (regardless of amplification) when you turn sideways (pan / yaw with the antenna nulls pointed toward home) you will lose wifi signal. Of course, just to fly straight out and straight back (with LOS), your setup will work fine.

Happy flying

Highcloud said:
007trains said:

Great range well done. How did you manage with battery power as 4.8 km must be at the limit or even beyond. Did you land away ?

I am using 1000mW sunhaus booster on the 5.8 but nothing on the 2.4. Which booster did you use and did you boost just one Chanel of the 2.4 ?

Looking at your mounting of the antennas do you have any problems when you fly sideways - given the null spots on pin wheels?

As far as the battery i took off with 80% and landed with 4% same place i took off

And i don't have any trouble with the signal flying sideways unless i'm a long way out but in that case i'm usually either pointing directly towards or away from me

themosttoys said:
007trains said:

Good effort. Post the video of the full flight with full pan / yaw at 4.8km. No offence, but I know for a fact that with your antennas orientated like that (horizontal), at far less than 4.8km (regardless of amplification) when you turn sideways (pan / yaw with the antenna nulls pointed toward home) you will lose wifi signal. Of course, just to fly straight out and straight back (with LOS), your setup will work fine.

Happy flying

No effence taken. coverage isn't totally consistent but like i said before only a problem when i'm a long way out :D

And as for the video i did take one but when it got corrupted when i shut off the battery before stopping the recording.
It's a bit windy atm but i plan to do another long distance flight when the wind dies down with a full battery this time :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel