More powerfull repeater?

Reaction score
Ok so I really want more wifi range I'm sick of this thing cutting out every time it goes behind trees.i don't know anything about wifi boosters or reapeaters.can anyone point me in the right direction on what I need to buy? I know it's only a matter of time before someone makes a more powerfull repeater for the vision but I don't wanna wait!

A more powerful repeater alone is not likely to help the situation. Remember, WiFi is bi-directional and the signal that we want for improved range come FROM the P2V. A more "powerful" repeater alone is not going to help. Here are the things that would provide better range:

A higher gain directional antenna on the repeater, but the trade off is a a reduce "beam width" meaning you would really need to always keep the antenna pointed directly at the P2V.

Increased TX power power on the P2V (perhaps via a firmware modification), but this would ideally be matched with an increased TX power on the repeater too.

The manual says that the range extender has an RF power output of 17dBm, but does not provide any information on the camera's RF power output. I'm guessing (pure speculation) that the range extender has a 5 dBi directional patch antenna built into it. If so, that puts our EIRP at 22dBm. This is WELL under the FCC allowed limit of 36dBm EIRP, so there is definitely some room for improvement.

Wow, that thing only has a 15 degree beam width. You'd pretty much need a spotter to hold the antenna and keep it pointed at the P2V.

I don't understand what it all means but mayb could hook up a better antenna to those 2 wires?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 13,133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 13,167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 13,171
Hi. I'm new to the DJI. Many Parrot Drone users have successfully used wireless repeaters (one of the best is the Amped Wireless SR10000) with an upgraded antenna. My Phantom hasn't arrived yet, but I don't know why the same principle would not work with the Phantom. In the case of the Parrot Drone, you connect your repeater to the drone, then your iPhone (or android) to the repeater. Then you can use a good omni-directional antenna for good all-over coverage or a directional antenna for concentrated coverage in a single direction (as one poster has alluded, the more concentrated the direction, the more critical the aim becomes). I have used an SR1000 and Amped Wireless' best directional antenna to travel a half-mile. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrASJ5vzXAk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUjO9cOtMnjFbmt1PF8YtNmw

The two squares on the inside of the DJI repeater look like tiny flat-panel antennas to me.

ok so i think ive got it sorted i got over 2000ft range my battery was going flat so couldnt take it any more im sure it will got far more gonna do more testing 2mrow.will post pics on my setup :)

Those two jacks at the end of the board are MMX connectors. They just pull off. That means you can connect any antenna to them with the right cables. For example, a 10' MMX-N-Male connector with LMR-195 cable. You can't put any strain on them though so I would probably use an LMR-100 cable which will be 6-12" long and then glue them to the case. The best antenna options are simply larger Omni's to start with although not too large due to low angle signal loss. If you can keep the quad in an area like 90-120 degrees, then larger sector antennas that can double or quadruple your range are available for about $150 with the right connectors.

uncle fester said:
ok so i think ive got it sorted i got over 2000ft range my battery was going flat so couldnt take it any more im sure it will got far more gonna do more testing 2mrow.will post pics on my setup :)

WOW - double the range? That would be amazing for sure!

Got 2200ft 2day before it cut out quite a crappy day aswell I had it quite low to the ground.i think on a clear day I mayb get 2500? Still happy with it am gonna try some different antennas as this 1 is far to big for my controller lol.whos gonna pull apart there camera 2 see what's inside? :roll:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2,204
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 2,200
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,327
Uncle Fester - THIS opens a whole world of new possibilities for the vision! A reliable 2000ft rage would be more than enough to elevate the Vision to the next level. I am looking forward to seeing what you settle on. THANKS!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj