More powerfull repeater?

leekawey said:
theSelf said:
speaktome34 said:
Well I bought a tp link 2414a and it went 3300 ft t 300ft alt....The distance reads n/a at 3300 ft distance so I guess that's the limit of the program It works great...

to confirm the only mod you did was change one of the two antennas on the repeater/VRX to the tp link 14 DBi patch antenna (no other changes to antennas on p2v rc control, p2v's vtx/camera or to the stock 5.8 ghz radio tx antenna and you are still getting 3300ft range and still seeing video and having rc control ? If so- that's good news to me as that is exactly what I have planned (just adding the 2.4Ghz 14dbi patch antenna and possibly making it swappable for 5 or 9dbi whip for more convenient/portability)

how did you mount the (rather large) tp link 14 dbi patch antenna?

Thank you

I can answer your question. The answer is yes. Your controller in FCC mode can manage just about 3300 ft. And the tp link has been proofing in that distance too. But I don't think the video is at solid 360' best flying side way. And everything got to be under perfect condition like interference, aim , battery level of controller and most importantly repeater. I found the distance drop half after 2 fly out of repeater.
If you only add one pigtail to your repeater then you better don't mount on top it. Mine is combine 5dbi omni and 9dbi tp link directional use valcol tape stick on top of repeater.

thanks leekawey- very helpful!

leekawey said:
audis200 said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
audia whats the stock looking antenna coming out of your pv2?
It come from my 5.8G control, I used 5dBi 5.8G Omni Antenna instead of stock antenna and using it on my p2v instead of stock wired antenna......it can extend my p2v's control range from 500-800m to over 1km^^

I just want to say that getting the antenna pigtail out of the pv2 is nearly impossible. Both connection were sealed pretty solid. I didn't want to risk it. From your photo it seems your one hasn't got the seal. Strange? :?

Yes, I feel strange too (it has sealant but just little bit)......in my situation, very easy to mod ^^

leekawey said:
theSelf said:
speaktome34 said:
Well I bought a tp link 2414a and it went 3300 ft t 300ft alt....The distance reads n/a at 3300 ft distance so I guess that's the limit of the program It works great...

to confirm the only mod you did was change one of the two antennas on the repeater/VRX to the tp link 14 DBi patch antenna (no other changes to antennas on p2v rc control, p2v's vtx/camera or to the stock 5.8 ghz radio tx antenna and you are still getting 3300ft range and still seeing video and having rc control ? If so- that's good news to me as that is exactly what I have planned (just adding the 2.4Ghz 14dbi patch antenna and possibly making it swappable for 5 or 9dbi whip for more convenient/portability)

how did you mount the (rather large) tp link 14 dbi patch antenna?

Thank you

I can answer your question. The answer is yes. Your controller in FCC mode can manage just about 3300 ft. And the tp link has been proofing in that distance too. But I don't think the video is at solid 360' best flying side way. And everything got to be under perfect condition like interference, aim , battery level of controller and most importantly repeater. I found the distance drop half after 2 fly out of repeater.
If you only add one pigtail to your repeater then you better don't mount on top it. Mine is combine 5dbi omni and 9dbi tp link directional use valcol tape stick on top of repeater.

When I was using stock repeater I found that adding a USB charging pack to keep the stock repeater at 100% charged made a big difference . With a standard out of the box pv and controller but with a USB continuous charged repeater I achieved 650 metres. Keep the stock repeater charged for sure.

Highcloud said:
When I was using stock repeater I found that adding a USB charging pack to keep the stock repeater at 100% charged made a big difference . With a standard out of the box pv and controller but with a USB continuous charged repeater I achieved 650 metres. Keep the stock repeater charged for sure.

thanks for the tip Highcloud- just ordered this portable USB charging pack (in white of course) for only $5.99 shipped to do this- http://www.ebay.com/itm/171187642605

also- can anyone who has the (rather large) TP link 14dbi patch antenna share their mounting solutions for the antenna- especially how to mount to a tripod or even better still (if it is even possible with such a large antenna) to the stock repeater box itself..?

Hey guys, I follow this thread and wanna give a question to someone more familiar with antennas. With my stock P2Vision I made over 500m (1500feet) in openfield in hight.I am thinking to improve wifi range in order to "always" have the screen on, even if I lose control. Basically I want the wifi exceed range of control. What I understood here, the stock control is able to make about 1000m (3000feet) in FCCmode. So I need to double the wifi range. There are two directional antennas in the extender I can attach external ones.

1) Does anybody know the specification of the extender stock antennas? There is not much info about them.
2) Does it make big difference if I attach only one (lets say 10 dbi) and I leave one stock or if I attach two 10 dbi? Do two different antennas interfere each other? Do similar antennas interfere each other? Or I can also put second omni-directional? My thought is one for longer range, second gives more direction in closer range.
3) Does anybody know the specification of the 2,4 GHz antenna in the camera?

My solution: I think I might attach one pannel 2,4 GHz, 10 dbi, 60°H and V, 124 x 124 x 25 mmhttp://en.jirous.com/antenna-2,4ghz/jpa-10/ I would attach it directly (without cabel) on the N-male pigtail mounted on the front face of the extender. Need to figure out if its possible. I like it more than previously posted TP-Link tl-ant2409.
5108647a2e847b4cc31b0000.jpg

I am still thinking if it is necessary improve the P2V camera antena. I dont want to put some extra long ones as Ive seen here. I might put some adequate max 5 dbi. Need to find out the stock camera antena specs in order to evaluate. Thanks

Re: R: More powerfull repeater?

dave21 said:
Hey guys, I follow this thread and wanna give a question to someone more familiar with antennas. With my stock P2Vision I made over 500m (1500feet) in openfield in hight.I am thinking to improve wifi range in order to "always" have the screen on, even if I lose control. Basically I want the wifi exceed range of control. What I understood here, the stock control is able to make about 1000m (3000feet) in FCCmode. So I need to double the wifi range. There are two directional antennas in the extender I can attach external ones.

1) Does anybody know the specification of the extender stock antennas? There is not much info about them.
2) Does it make big difference if I attach only one (lets say 10 dbi) and I leave one stock or if I attach two 10 dbi? Do two different antennas interfere each other? Do similar antennas interfere each other? Or I can also put second omni-directional? My thought is one for longer range, second gives more direction in closer range.

My solution: I think I might attach one pannel 2,4 GHz, 10 dbi, 60°H and V, 124 x 124 x 25 mmhttp://en.jirous.com/antenna-2,4ghz/jpa-10/ I would attach it directly (without cabel) on the N-male pigtail mounted on the front face of the extender. Need to figure out if its possible. I like it more than previously posted TP-Link tl-ant2409.

I am still thinking if it is necessary improve the P2V camera antena. I dont want to put some extra long ones as Ive seen here. I might put some adequate max 5 dbi. Need to find out the stock camera antena specs in order to evaluate. Thanks

This was my problem too.no way to find specifications about internal extender antenna.anyway I ''ve just bought a 2.4 8dbi antenna to connect instead of one of the two internal antennas.what I know is that they work in diversity mode so the one with better signal will "win" on the other one.this is why I decided to start the mod with just one omni antenna.next step will be to add a directional antenna . So the better of the two will help to get best signal. Maybe it is just a stupid mod,anyone can tell me if it is a right think?

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk

dave21 said:

One panel 10dbi will get you about 1000m and another 5dbi omni for close range. 5dbi has wider bean angle than 8dbi one. Two panels won't get you further. I think both camera and extender antenna are about 3dbi. I would keep the stock camera antenna for now if I were you. I have tested it with 5dbi and the result is not great. There will be different story.

leekawey said:
One panel 10dbi will get you about 1000m and another 5dbi omni for close range. 5dbi has wider bean angle than 8dbi one. Two panels won't get you further. I think both camera and extender antenna are about 3dbi. I would keep the stock camera antenna for now if I were you. I have tested it with 5dbi and the result is not great. There will be different story.

Thats what I prefer - stay stock antenna in camera, improve on extender. What do you mean 5 dbi has wider beam angle than 8 dbi? Since i would use omnidirectional for the second one I thinks there are both 360°. I might be wrong.

dave21 said:

If you want to upgrade your repeater use at least a 5dbi omni antenna. Or 8dbi or better directional antenna. Using more than 1 antenna for the mod will not net you any increase in range as shown in my own personal testing using just a single antenna mod then upgrading to dual. It does however give you the benefit of mixing a directional antenna with an omni directional for both close and distant flight at the same time. Changing the camera antennas is a much more complicated mod but it would net you even bigger gains than modding the wifi repeater alone.

I opened up the P2V camera to do the antenna mod. I was hoping simply removing the lens would allow access to the transmitter so I could remove the U.FL connectors and plug the U.FL to RP-SMA Connector for the antenna mod. Unfortunately what I found was the two connectors are resting on top of two plastic posts. They are in no way accessible short of drilling those plastic posts lower and adding a shim, that or fully disassembling the camera itself. And some of the parts seem like they may be glued together so I'm not entirely comfortable with that. Now if I could only find a Male U.FL to RP-SMA adapter, or a Male to Male U.FL to U.FL connector that would negate any need to take anything apart other than the top cover. As you would be able to pull the Female U.FL connector off of the built in antenna and plug it straight in to your adapter.

I've seen several of you show posts saying you modded your camera. How did you do it? Did you tear the whole thing apart? did you drill into the camera? Did you find those adapter cables I am looking for? Please pass on the info as to how you performed the mod and link to parts used. Thanks.

Here are pics of the opened camera. As well as the top side where I took the four screws off the circuit board on top of what looks like a heat sink.

P.S. I just had a thought. If those plastic posts have any flexibility maybe they don't need to be drilled / lowered with the subsequent shim being attached. Instead maybe they can be bent aside long enough to remove the U.FL connector and attach the adapters. I didn't even think to try that when I had it apart.

Attachments

• P2V Camera Apart 1.jpg
    P2V Camera Apart 1.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 533
  • P2V Camera Apart 2.jpg
    P2V Camera Apart 2.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 484
  • P2V Camera Apart 3.jpg
    P2V Camera Apart 3.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 455
BenDronePilot said:
If you want to upgrade your repeater use at least a 5dbi omni antenna. Or 8dbi or better directional antenna. Using more than 1 antenna for the mod will not net you any increase in range as shown in my own personal testing using just a single antenna mod then upgrading to dual. It does however give you the benefit of mixing a directional antenna with an omni directional for both close and distant flight at the same time. Changing the camera antennas is a much more complicated mod but it would net you even bigger gains than modding the wifi repeater alone.

Thank you for your comment. So you confirmed my thoughts. I would probably think about these mods:
The panel 10 dbi, 60°(for longer range, need better aiming on the bird) for me fine http://en.jirous.com/antenna-2,4ghz/jpa-10/ + omni-directional 5 dbi (eg TP-Link ANT2405CL) or 8dbi (TP-Link TL-ANT2408CL).

I would love to know the specs of the stock antennas :/

BenDronePilot said:
I opened up the P2V camera to do the antenna mod. I was hoping simply removing the lens would allow access to the transmitter so I could remove the U.FL connectors and plug the U.FL to RP-SMA Connector for the antenna mod. Unfortunately what I found was the two connectors are resting on top of two plastic posts. They are in no way accessible short or drilling those plastic posts lower and adding a shim, that or fully disassembling the camera itself. And some of the parts seem like they may be glued together so I'm not entirely comfortable with that. Now if I could only find a Male U.FL to RP-SMA adapter, or a Male to Male U.FL to U.FL connector that would negate any need to take anything apart other than the top cover. As you would be able to pull the Female U.FL connector off of the built in antenna and plug it straight in to your adapter.

I've seen several of you show posts saying you modded your camera. How did you do it? Did you tear the whole thing apart? did you drill into the camera? Did you find those adapter cables I am looking for? Please pass on the info as to how you performed the mod and link to parts used. Thanks.

Here are pics of the opened camera. As well as the top side where I took the four screws off the circuit board on top of what looks like a heat sink.

Squeeze the sides of the camera and put a little pressure on the board and the gap will be large enough to change the u.fl.

BTW, what does this have to do with "More powerful repeater" ;-)

themosttoys said:
Squeeze the sides of the camera and put a little pressure on the board and the gap will be large enough to change the u.fl.

I actually started doing the squeezing technique you mentioned, but didn't combined it with simultaneously pushing down on the circuit board, which I didn't feel very comfortable doing anyway. Hmm maybe I'll go back in and try again though.

How this has to do with more powerful repeater is it's the device connecting to it, That and other people have posted info on it as well. :p

BenDronePilot said:
themosttoys said:

I actually started doing the squeezing technique you mentioned, but didn't combined it with simultaneously pushing down on the circuit board, which I didn't feel very comfortable doing anyway. Hmm maybe I'll go back in and try again though.

How this has to do with more powerful repeater is it's the device connecting to it, That and other people have posted info on it as well. :p

What kind of antenna are you going to put on camera? What is your repeater setup so far? Just curious. :idea:

storm_333 said:
themosttoys said:
storm_333 said:
Can anyone with more expertise tell me if I could use this repeater instead of the stock repeater?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARGtek-Wirele ... 0738277852

I want to attach a combination of directional and omnidirectional antennas in an attempt to get the best of both worlds.

Thanks!

Yes you can.

Thank you :)

Are you sure? If you try to search p2v with the extender off you''re not able to find it. Are you experiencing the same thing? This is why I'm not sure you can change the extender with another one.

max.bex said:
Are you sure? If you try to search p2v with the extender off you''re not able to find it. Are you experiencing the same thing? This is why I'm not sure you can change the extender with another one.

I am 100% certain. I have done it myself and there are multiple copies of the instructions in this mega thread, but it has grown (and circled) so much that it is not very useful anymore. There are good instructions at the following link :http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27082677&postcount=5170

Happy flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing