More powerfull repeater?

mmotown said:
Just wanted to provide my update and see what you guys think.

I often see people achieving 2k + distances flying in the country. I live in Dallas Texas in a surban neighborhood. I have updated my tx with the RP-SMA 5.8G 11db aerial FPV high gain panel antenna for FPV 5.8Ghz TX RX and I have also updated my repeater with the TL-ANT2409A, the TL-ANT2414A and the TP-Link ANT2408CL 8dbi indoor omni directional antenna

I have tested all of these ant in front of my house and I fly down the street about 50 yards and then there's open pasture land I fly across to achieve max distance. I fly line of sight but the furthest I have flown is 1300' and some change.

When everything was stock, I lost my signal at about 500'. How are you guys achieving > 2k feet and I have the same mod Bjay, NCSG, and a few others have?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3880&start=550 (same mod)

I guess you lost FPV video (2.4G Wifi) first and still maintain control (5.8G) of P2V. This is likely due to Wifi interference of your neighborhood. You may test your range in an open field.

Is there a way to see all the photos / images in this thread? In the RCGroups forum you can click on a link to see all images. I've not been able to find an option like that here.

Scottrod said:
What setup seems to be the most portable with the best range so far? The tplink omni 8dbi?
Totally agreed with you, so can everyone share their setting with pictures and what performance that they achieved.......it seems the best way ^^

PVFlyer said:
mmotown said:
Just wanted to provide my update and see what you guys think.

I often see people achieving 2k + distances flying in the country. I live in Dallas Texas in a surban neighborhood. I have updated my tx with the RP-SMA 5.8G 11db aerial FPV high gain panel antenna for FPV 5.8Ghz TX RX and I have also updated my repeater with the TL-ANT2409A, the TL-ANT2414A and the TP-Link ANT2408CL 8dbi indoor omni directional antenna

I have tested all of these ant in front of my house and I fly down the street about 50 yards and then there's open pasture land I fly across to achieve max distance. I fly line of sight but the furthest I have flown is 1300' and some change.

When everything was stock, I lost my signal at about 500'. How are you guys achieving > 2k feet and I have the same mod Bjay, NCSG, and a few others have?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3880&start=550 (same mod)

I guess you lost FPV video (2.4G Wifi) first and still maintain control (5.8G) of P2V. This is likely due to Wifi interference of your neighborhood. You may test your range in an open field.

That is exactly what happened. When I lost FPV. Although my PV2 was a small dot in the sky I was still able to notice that it was still under tx controll. I have learned alot from this thread. I thought that was the purpose of modifying the repeater so we wouldn't lose FPV or have I misunderstood that? Is that why someone has added an antenna to the camera now? All is this is new to me but in the interest of flying further and really enjoying my PV2, i took the plunge and made the modifications and will contiune to do so even if I don't understand the science behind it. :geek:

audis200 said:
* Use 2.5W Wifi signal booster with 2 x 9db 37cm antennas. (Yes, 37cm long.......right ><")
* No any modification for the drone.
* Use 8db antenna instead of oiginal remote's antenna.
* over 1km flying distance but the apps display 999m only.......N/A once over 999m.
* Use 2500mah Lipo battery, I used it for my AR Drone before.......cut and connect by yourself.

Hi there ! First of all,nice setup :) i wounder, you have one wifi booster on 2.5 watt, and one 9 dbi omni...thats ok,but i REALLY wounder: i have 2 omnis on 9 dbi, and going for the same setup as you,BUT....... Will it make a different if i use a booster on 3 watt or 8 watt? What is really the different? Sorry,but im pretty noob at this. Would you get much more range with the 8 watt,instead of the 2.5 or 3 watt? BIG THANKS for all answers!! Trond,Norway :)

Trond Harbak said:
audis200 said:
* Use 2.5W Wifi signal booster with 2 x 9db 37cm antennas. (Yes, 37cm long.......right ><")
* over 1km flying distance but the apps display 999m only.......N/A once over 999m.
* Use 2500mah Lipo battery, I used it for my AR Drone before.......cut and connect by yourself.

Hi there ! First of all,nice setup :) i wounder, you have one wifi booster on 2.5 watt, and one 9 dbi omni...thats ok,but i REALLY wounder: i have 2 omnis on 9 dbi, and going for the same setup as you,BUT....... Will it make a different if i use a booster on 3 watt or 8 watt? What is really the different? Sorry,but im pretty noob at this. Would you get much more range with the 8 watt,instead of the 2.5 or 3 watt? BIG THANKS for all answers!! Trond,Norway :)

Honest speaking, I think 2.5W had been little bit over-power since Tx power is much important than Rx power for such situation. So, even you use 3 or 8W wifi booster on stock repeater instead of 2.5W, it seems no extra range is gained since the stock repeater is mainly responsible for Rx(receiving video data from the drone via 2.4G) But if you can enhance the Tx power of drone......it will another story, but extra weight on the drone from the booster and battery would be BIG PROBLEMS. So if the target is 1km wifi range only, I think my setting would be better ^^

audis200 said:
Trond Harbak said:
audis200 said:

Honest speaking, I think 2.5W had been little bit over-power since Tx power is much important than Rx power for such situation. So, even you use 3 or 8W wifi booster on stock repeater instead of 2.5W, it seems no extra range is gained since the stock repeater is mainly responsible for Rx(receiving video data from the drone via 2.4G) But if you can enhance the Tx power of drone......it will another story, but extra weight on the drone from the booster and battery would be BIG PROBLEMS. So if the target is 1km wifi range only, I think my setting would be better ^^

Thanks for quick answer ! I understand what you mean ! Think ill just stick with your setup,because it sounds really good enough ! My goal was to reach at least 1.5 km,but....guess its ok with 1 km also.. I will also change the stock antenna in the transmitter, with the one you got,or with one on 11dbi... Its gonna be interesting :) you also said you went over 1 km...if so..maybe 1.1, or up to 1.3 km maybe..? Hehe.... *wishing for the best* :p anyway,thanks a lot for posting this !

themosttoys said:
Just a heads up. I posted this in a new thread so that it was easier to find (for those that might be interested.)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7289

Don't mean to cross post, but since some in here might be interested, the repeater and camera are actually 21dbm (126mw) and not 17dbm (50mw). This is important to know if you plan to add amplification.

Cheers

Interesting. Thanks for measuring. Since it is only a little above the max input for the wifi amplifier probably be ok? What do you think?

helixaviator said:
themosttoys said:
Just a heads up. I posted this in a new thread so that it was easier to find (for those that might be interested.)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7289

Don't mean to cross post, but since some in here might be interested, the repeater and camera are actually 21dbm (126mw) and not 17dbm (50mw). This is important to know if you plan to add amplification.

Cheers

Interesting. Thanks for measuring. Since it is only a little above the max input for the wifi amplifier probably be ok? What do you think?

If i only could understand.....bawh.... I could instead ask: whats the max dbi you could replace on both range extender and transmitter? And whats max on signal booster from range extender? How far can i really go before f****** it all up ?

helixaviator said:
themosttoys said:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7289

Cheers

I use a small in line attinuator (I'm using -6db because I only have -3db and -6db laying around). Since most amplifiers require 0db min, you could use just about anything (-10,-20). Might it work without, sure, most amplifiers have AGC (Automatic Gain Control) but why not follow the specifications.

Happy flying

audis200 said:

2.5w is also overkill, but to each their own.

Amplifying the P2V will net better results than amplifying the repeater and the approx 100g weight will have marginal (2 minutes) impact on flight time.

If the target is 1km wifi, no amplification is needed on either side, only antennas. Again, look back and you will see that by simply adding a 5dbi to the P2v and 9dbi on the stock repeater I get 1.4km+. Switch out the 9dbi omni for a 12dbi directional and easily go beyond the limits of the TX (over 1.1 miles).

There is no one answer, mine is not better than anyone elses, find what you like and enjoy.

Cheers

Trond Harbak said:
helixaviator said:

If i only could understand.....bawh.... I could instead ask: whats the max dbi you could replace on both range extender and transmitter? And whats max on signal booster from range extender? How far can i really go before f****** it all up ?

dbi or dbm? dbi is a measure of antenna gain, dbm is a measure of power.

The higher the dbi (antenna gain) the more precise the flight envelope.

As far as dbm is concerned, the voyager one is 11 Billion miles from earth and it has a 43dbm TX (of course it does not have much to penetrate other than our atmosphere.) It's kind of like having a car with 1000hp, you will never use it, but if it's an option, why not. To each their own.

Question for the Aussies out there, where did you guys order your Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail from? Cant find any here in AU only Hong Kong...with long shipping time. Also are there any stores that sell the TP-Link TL-ANT2408CL 2.4Ghz 8dBi Omni? Looks like Jaycar dont. I am going for the Omni setup rather than TP-LINK TL-ANT2409A 2.4GHz 9dBi Directional as it is alot more compact with similar results from what i have seen?
Cheers guys, awesome thread!

I tried out the same rig everyone else here has touted. Pretty good results. I didnt push it too far. I stopped around 1100ft + about 300ft Altitude, So I suppose I was around 1400ft. Image below I took a minute before heading back. Lots of fun!

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/7qe5xqd53zajci7/VRRfhidmDk

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/17drx9ug3ujzl6d/D6ItezfQvB

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/9hhr8v1752ru9db/9JeAcwU0pl

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qk7ey4vwd28n67s/photo.JPG

Parts

1 x TP-LINK TL-ANT2414A 2.4GHz 14dBi Outdoor Directional Antenna, RP-SMA Male connector, 1m/3ft cable
1 x U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail Antenna WiFi Cable
1 x Vista Explorer 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Tripod Bag
1 x 7" to 11" Tablet Tripod MonoPod Video Camera Mount

Glockindahaus said:
I tried out the same rig everyone else here has touted. Pretty good results. I didnt push it too far. I stopped around 1100ft + about 300ft Altitude, So I suppose I was around 1400ft. Image below I took a minute before heading back. Lots of fun!

Congratulations.

I apologize up front, I can't help myself (old habits...) 1100ft distance + 300ft altitude is 1140ft point to point total.

Either way, good times and happy flying.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

CosmicFTW said:
Question for the Aussies out there, where did you guys order your Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail from? Cant find any here in AU only Hong Kong...with long shipping time. Also are there any stores that sell the TP-Link TL-ANT2408CL 2.4Ghz 8dBi Omni? Looks like Jaycar dont. I am going for the Omni setup rather than TP-LINK TL-ANT2409A 2.4GHz 9dBi Directional as it is alot more compact with similar results from what i have seen?
Cheers guys, awesome thread!

I've ordered all mine from china but you can try to search ebay for one in australia or you can try RS Australia and Altronics might have one.

themosttoys said:
Glockindahaus said:

Congratulations.

I apologize up front, I can't help myself (old habits...) 1100ft distance + 300ft altitude is 1140ft point to point total.

Either way, good times and happy flying.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

:D No worries. I suspect thats not the first mistake Ive made and will make when it comes to the distance calculations. My "goal" is to do approximately 1 Mile. From where I was standing it's pretty much a striaght shot (as the bird flys) to a point the the Bay trail where (according to Google maps) I will hit the 1 Mile mark. I have homes on my left which Im sure are putting out a fair amount of Wireless congestion, so it may not be possible there.. Will see!

Glockindahaus said:
:D No worries. I suspect thats not the first mistake Ive made and will make when it comes to the distance calculations. My "goal" is to do approximately 1 Mile. From where I was standing it's pretty much a striaght shot (as the bird flys) to a point the the Bay trail where (according to Google maps) I will hit the 1 Mile mark. I have homes on my left which Im sure are putting out a fair amount of Wireless congestion, so it may not be possible there.. Will see!

A mile is not a problem, but in my experience you will need to add antenna(s) to the P2V camera. With the right repeater setup you might be able to do it with stock camera, but (my experience) will need to fly sideways (with an antenna pointing directly at your ground station.)
You will also be right at the edge of (again my experience, 1.1miles) the TX range, so you will need to at a minimum change that antenna too.
For the repeater, you will be just beyond what I get using 5dbi whip on P2V camera and a 9dbi omni on the repeater, but within range of a 12dbi or 14dbi directional on the repeater.
If none of that works in your environment, you may need to amplify.

Your goal is achievable. Have fun.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor