More powerfull repeater?

BenDronePilot said:
For people wanting to do the Vision Camera Antenna mod and don't want the trouble of completely taking the camera apart this will be a life saver for you. Though it's a bit over priced it will save you the hassle, especially if you're not especially adept and taking stuff apart.

$10 in this ebay add. Free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pigtail-U-FL-Ma ... 338440aca2

It's a female to male U.FL cable. That way all you need to do it pop the 4 screws off the bottom of the vision camera, pop open the lid and take one of the cables off the antennas and plug it into this adapter, then the adapter into your u.fl female to rp-sma cable. It would be simpler still if I could find a male u.fl to Rp-sma connector but no luck so far.

great bendrone i was starting to open mi camara, i will order 2 of this extensions, do you know were to put the antenas yet? on the legs of the phantom? or were i dont have idea?

themosttoys said:
BenDronePilot said:
For people wanting to do the Vision Camera Antenna mod and don't want the trouble of completely taking the camera apart this will be a life saver for you. Though it's a bit over priced it will save you the hassle, especially if you're not especially adept and taking stuff apart.

It's a female to male U.FL cable. That way all you need to do it pop the 4 screws off the bottom of the vision camera, pop open the lid and take one of the cables off the antennas and plug it into this adapter, then the adapter into your u.fl female to rp-sma cable. It would be simpler still if I could find a male u.fl to Rp-sma connector but no luck so far.

Unfortunately I know from experience that this cable will not work for that purpose, it will however make it easier to swap multiple pigtails. The problem is that the cable connecting to the internal antenna is this:

Using that connector simply extends the internal cable by one inch, if this would work, it would not be needed as you could just attach to the existing cable.

Great minds think alike.

uhmmmm .. so this extencion do not work with u.fl female to rp-sma?

Yes it will, it just wont connect to the cable in the camera. You will need to remove the cable in the camera (the thing Ben was trying to help people avoid having to do as it is not necessarily simple) and put this extension in it's place. If you will never want to change the cable back or to another pigtail, there is no need for this extension, just use the IPX to rp-sma.

oukenfold said:
BenDronePilot said:

great bendrone i was starting to open mi camara, i will order 2 of this extensions, do you know were to put the antenas yet? on the legs of the phantom? or were i dont have idea?

I made a mistake. This cable has a male and female which will only act as an extension cable. I need to find one that has two male ends. My bad. I will update my original post.

BenDronePilot said:

P.S. I made a mistake. This will just act as an extension cable as it's Male to Female. I need to find a Male to Male U.FL cable.

I made one. I ordered the IPX male(the one usually soldered on pCB) and soldered the cable directly to it. Also I had Mike from http://wifirfexpert.com/ make me one. Turns out it is not that bad to attach directly to camera though. You don't have to take the camera completely apart. Just remove the 2 screws holding the camera on and remove silver ring. Then if you pry the board up gently you can pop off the cable pretty easily.

themosttoys said:
rofd said:
looking around i found this http://www.amazon.com/Engenius-Outdoor- ... roduct_top
and this http://www.ebay.com/itm/221016493431?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
antenna has very good reviews what do you think guys.

I've not used that antenna, so I have no experience to offer.

The adapter cable is fine, only when possible you should look for rg178. It's not that important for the length runs we are using, but it should not add $ so why not.

Any luck with the wifi amplifer on the P2V? Been really tempted to try this.

helixaviator said:
themosttoys said:
rofd said:
looking around i found this http://www.amazon.com/Engenius-Outdoor- ... roduct_top
and this http://www.ebay.com/itm/221016493431?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
antenna has very good reviews what do you think guys.

I've not used that antenna, so I have no experience to offer.

The adapter cable is fine, only when possible you should look for rg178. It's not that important for the length runs we are using, but it should not add $ so why not.

Any luck with the wifi amplifer on the P2V? Been really tempted to try this.

I'm waiting on a sma to rp-sma adapter. If it does not show up by this coming weekend I'll make one. I've not really had much time to play lately. Also, after simply adding the 5db omni to the P2V I've had very reliable wifi / video. Last night I again flew out to just under 1 mile (about 4800 feet) and still had strong wifi signal (at any yaw angle, full pan no lost signal). I still want to add the amplifier to see if it will give the punch to get through a twig but at this point 5.8ghz control TX will need to be amplified. I'm now losing control more often than wifi. I do believe that with a 5.8ghz amp on the controller and the 800mw amp on the P2v that the range will easily exceed 2 miles (VLOS) and more importantly should work more reliably behind a few trees.

I've also been racking my brain on ideas around mounting the SP antenna on the P2V. I really want it to hang below the landing gear as I don't want the camera or any part of the P2V to block it from any angle and because of the GPS, top mounting is not a great idea (I'm actually a little nervous about the 2.4ghz amp having a bad effect on the GPS.) Of course having it hang below the landing gear is not particularly convenient.

themosttoys said:
I'm waiting on a sma to rp-sma adapter. If it does not show up by this coming weekend I'll make one. I've not really had much time to play lately. Also, after simply adding the 5db omni to the P2V I've had very reliable wifi / video. Last night I again flew out to just under 1 mile (about 4800 feet) and still had strong wifi signal (at any yaw angle, full pan no lost signal). I still want to add the amplifier to see if it will give the punch to get through a twig but at this point 5.8ghz control TX will need to be amplified. I'm now losing control more often than wifi. I do believe that with a 5.8ghz amp on the controller and the 800mw amp on the P2v that the range will easily exceed 2 miles (VLOS) and more importantly should work more reliably behind a few trees.

I've also been racking my brain on ideas around mounting the SP antenna on the P2V. I really want it to hang below the landing gear as I don't want the camera or any part of the P2V to block it from any angle and because of the GPS, top mounting is not a great idea (I'm actually a little nervous about the 2.4ghz amp having a bad effect on the GPS.) Of course having it hang below the landing gear is not particularly convenient.

What orientation are you using the 5dbi antenna in. Are you actually pointing it straight down after take off? Only problem with that is you have to do hand landings and take offs but it would be the only true solution for full 360 degree use. I look forward to doing the mod myself when I find a small screw driver that will remove those screws holding the camera in place. Can you show a pic and or link to the one you used? There's one at radio shack that may work. The one's I tried thus far had too much of a point and would slip when trying to loosen the screw inside the vision camera.

BenDronePilot said:
What orientation are you using the 5dbi antenna in. Are you actually pointing it straight down after take off? Only problem with that is you have to do hand landings and take offs but it would be the only true solution for full 360 degree use. I look forward to doing the mod myself when I find a small screw driver that will remove those screws holding the camera in place. Can you show a pic and or link to the one you used? There's one at radio shack that may work. The one's I tried thus far had too much of a point and would slip when trying to loosen the screw inside the vision camera.

Yup, I extend it after takeoff and do hand landings. This is the one area I've not been able to figure out a better solution for.

I used an old standard P0 (#00) (Craftsman) out of my toolbox, nothing special. I'd take a picture of the screwdriver, but it really would be uninspiring.

themosttoys said:
BenDronePilot said:

Yup, I extend it after takeoff and do hand landings. This is the one area I've not been able to figure out a better solution for.

I used an old standard P0 (#00) (Craftsman) out of my toolbox, nothing special. I'd take a picture of the screwdriver, but it really would be uninspiring.

Ok that's what I thought. And I was asking about a picture to see what the tip of the screw driver looks like and if it comes to more of a point or is at all flat on the tip. I tried 3 mini bits and had no luck with them and I fear I may have slightly stripped the screw head but not so much as a good screw driver wont get them out.

BenDronePilot said:
ClimbrJohn said:
While looking for a white antenna I came across this; has anyone used it?
Amico 2.4GHz 15dBi RP-SMA Male Tilt-Swivel Wireless WiFi Router Antenna Gray White

There's a smaller 10dBi version too.
===
Thanks to everyone for all the info!
My mod includes the parts from an old Meraki OD2 outdoor AP. I pulled the U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail cable and its included waterproof silicone 'washers' (inside and out) and I'm currently using the Meraki's 2dB external antenna (waterproof) until I decide on an antenna. I like this setup because it looks like it came stock from DJI and seals up the hole I made. Thoughts?

Nice clean looking antenna setup. Though I doubt it will perform any better than the stock setup if even as good. You should have held off doing the upgrade until you had a proper antenna. I've seen that 15dbi you sent link to. Never seen or heard of it before though it's anyone's guess if it's "really" a 15dbi omni directional. It would have to be quite long for it to really be 15dbi. Some of these antennas have wrong descriptions. For example a 9dbi omni directional I have I've also seen listed as a 10dbi antenna in some other listings though it's the identical antenna. Also there some antennas where the title says a higher number but read the description and it's a lower number. You never know for sure unless it's a reputable name brand.

I like the look as well and in search of a white antenna as well. Have not tried any mods yet but have my pigtails on the way.

Hey Ben with the 8 omni how far out can you go in all orientations?
You said 2500 ft but sideways
So what's the max in all orientations ?

mr_3_0_5 said:
Hey Ben with the 8 omni how far out can you go in all orientations?
You said 2500 ft but sideways
So what's the max in all orientations ?

The "Max" depends on the environment you fly in of course. I haven't been able to get enough stick time to say for sure in the location I did 2,500 feet (with Phantom sideways to me for max range). Though I think I could safely say at that particular location I could use any orientation up to around 1,800 feet give or take with the feed remaining fluid. On the other hand, taking off in front of my house or by the corner the max is around 1,000 feet give or take for fluid any orientation control. And when I take off from my local park I get satellite lock as soon as my Phone's connected. Taking off from in front of my house can sometimes take several minutes before I get good satellite lock.

Hi uncle fester I too have put a tp link 2414a on my Phantom and have gone 2500 feet at 400 ft elevation ...So my questions is How did You mount this monster ant on ur radio??

The Tp link 2414a ( indoor model it just less expensive) has a 14 dbi gain but the draw back is the size 9x9" And the tx is top heavy..But for the range I think I will deal with it... Tp link on amazon was around 55 dollar plus them=n the little wire to connect it was 7 bucks, But if u sign up for amazon cc u get an instant 30 dollars off...All I did was signed up and was approved then reset ur default cc to what ever one u want before checking out so u don't get slamed with 19% interest...So I got this setup for 37 buck delivered...Pretty cheap for a 2500ft up grade I think...

Today I used this setup with my 2.5W wifi booster......achieve 4000 feets flying distance ^^

Attachments

• 20140128_235005.jpg
    20140128_235005.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 320
audis200 said:
Today I used this setup with my 2.5W wifi booster......achieve 4000 feets flying distance ^^

With that antenna configuration (horizontal polarization) you will have yaw / panning dead spots on the left and / or right (based on my testing of that exact configuration.) Point the antenna straight down for better performance. Of course if you are happy, that is all that really matters. Good times.

well i am lost, some questiosn!

1.- its that really hard to put an antenna in to the camara? i guess that just putting 1 will help a lot the video signal, but where the hell i put on the phantom shell?

2.- i see that all the atennas in the p2v, the camara, the rx, the tx,the repeater, can be upgrade using U.flto RP-SMA Pigtail thats correct?

3.- so if a whant more video and tx-rx range, can i put one 5db antenna on one of the camaras antenna, one 5 db on one of the rx antennas instead of one on the legs of the phantom? i allready have change the reapeter antenas for the direcional 9db tplink antenas en one 8db onmi direcional antenna, so i just need one for the Tx. what a hell work. uhmm.

but all resume to were i will put the antennas on the pv2 that can be facing down and get all cover, :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka