More powerfull repeater?

iDrone said:
Yours truly's Vision augmented with 2.4GHz 360° cloverleaf FPV & telemetry antenna.

iDrone :ugeek:

Where did you purchase this antenna from?

Also I am seeing that most of these are denoted as either TX or RX. Which one did you attach to the drone?

going to do this mod
wanted to see some numbers from you guys with the 9dbi tp links
how far out have you made it with these?
trying to decide if i should get the 14 or the 9 I want to be able to carry it on the tx so 9 would be what I prefer.
if the 8 omni works as good as the claims why use the 9 dbi panel?

mem_ny said:
iDrone said:
Yours truly's Vision augmented with 2.4GHz 360° cloverleaf FPV & telemetry antenna.
iDrone, Can I ask what your FPV range is with the PV2 cloverleaf? Am I correct to assume that you have a matching TX cloverleaf on the repeater?
Max range: Untested. Matching cloverleaf on range extender: For this test no, dual TP9's tested to 1500' @300' altitude voluntarily limited due to lack of visibility (line-of-sight). There are formal & casual schools of thought on matching antennas, formal (ideal) says use matching aerials on both sides with identical polarization. For mobile, formal suggests whip omni's w/same polarization for ideal. For aerial, formal suggests whip omni's, circular, or spiral polarization antennas are ideal. The casual school suggests mixing it up depending on your application to achieve best results. One of the most promising is combining circular & spiral polarization to maintain steady FPV. This has been tested & proven with analog FPV systems using 5.8GHz video links.

mem_ny said:
audis200 said:
Is there any advantage to using the Sunhans repeater compared to the Docooler repeater?
May be an ignorant question, but why couldn't the Sunhans booster be used on one of the three Docooler antennas? Others here have combined omni and directional antennas on the docooler. Wouldn't you get therefore get a beefed up repeater combined with an amplified signal?
Most of these range extenders are designed to take the typical low-level RF from a router and boost it. Not sure if taking the high-power output of one extender and feeding it into another extender will buy you much besides trouble. By that I mean excessive power can saturate the input stage of a receiver not designed for it, possibly resulting in cutting out (oscillations) or other strange behavior. The power is not additive (as in combined power) In these types of extenders. Radiated power is limited by the max power of the last device before the antenna. So if the first extender is 2-watts and the second is 5-watts you don't get 7-watts, you only get 5-watts and that's only if the second extender can handle being driven by 2-watts without smoking its input stage.

Twitch said:
iDrone said:
Where did you purchase this antenna from? Also I am seeing that most of these are denoted as either TX or RX. Which one did you attach to the drone?
Mine were purchased off eBay, made in China. I'm still testing other radomes as their construction and alignment is critical to working properly. For 5.8GHz Controller, the TX goes on the controller, the RX goes on the Vision. For 2.4GHz FPV it doesn't matter. Antennas are designed to work at a particular frequency or band; you can't interchange a 2.4GHz antenna for a 5.8GHz antenna the mismatch would effectively result in no signal output or received by any device.

iDrone :geek:

I tried 9db TP-link antenna before and get 750m flying distance, but if in busy wifi area, it will be dropped .......So for my situation, 2.5W wifi amplifliers is my cup of tea ^^

In order to control your P2V over 1000m flying distance, you have to do some modification on the drone other than set FCC mode and use 8dBi 5.8G antenna for controller, pls see the following pics:-

Attachments

• 20140127_005740.jpg
    20140127_005740.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 336
  • 20140127_010113.jpg
    20140127_010113.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 20140127_024104.jpg
    20140127_024104.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 358
I seen a video with someone using both antennas and two I believe 8dbi omni anyone know if the range improves by using both ?

I'm getting some pretty decent distance with my stock setup. It's weird how the units seem to differ so much. Maybe it's just because I don't have a lot of interference in my area. I'm getting around 2100-2200 feet for distance.

helixaviator said:
anyone not see much increase in range with the external antennas? I have a tp link 8dbi antenna on the repeater and a pigtail on the camera with a little 2dbi antenna on it. Also had a 5.8ghz tx clover(that's all I had). I am lucky to get 600 feet and the vid stream looks pretty pixelated.

I am starting to wonder if the pigtail on the cam is a good idea. Was getting about 800 feet with just the external on the repeater. I am thinking about removing the pigtail from the cam.

Also I am in a busy wifi area. how dramatically can busy wifi area affect range? anyone have a handle on this?

Thanks!

The 2dbi antenna you're using is likely no better than the included antenna. Also make sure you're actually connecting the pig tail in the right location inside the camera which is towards the front bottom if the phantom is upside down. If you accidentally connected to the ufl mini directly on the antenna and not the transmitter that's also why you had decreased range. I accidentally did the same thing then realized my mistake later when I got back home.

To do the mod right I need a mini Phillips screw driver that can take the two screws off holding the lens in so the connector will be more accessible. I'm guessing that's how others have done it as well or it could get very fidly trying to get your connector on.

For distance away I don't see myself needing more than 1000' and I was solid today on the stock setup at 1100' away. For height I guess higher can always be more interesting. I was over 1100' up on the stock setup today with no problems. But have had the wifi crap out of me on other flights not as far or high, so I've ordered a couple of antennas etc to upgrade the repeater so it's more reliable. Plus who wouldn't want to fly 2000' high (or more)?

This is my favorite thread of all of them! You guys are so inventive - it's just plain awesome. THANKS.

Since the 2.4 GHz Wif-Fi signal seems to be the critical issue in communicating between the R/C command and the P2V, my question is this one: do the Wi-Fi signal amplifiers really work and give you an extra additional boost or are the high gain antennas simply enough? I know that most of you who are using Wi-Fi amplifiers, are also using high gain antennas, so, did you test your range WITH the Wi-Fi amplifier and WITHOUT amplifying the signal with a, let's say, for example, a 5 to 9 dBi antenna? Let me know if you do this test, we would all appreciate it! And don't forget, test it under the same outdoor location and conditions, please...

nhoover said:
For distance away I don't see myself needing more than 1000' and I was solid today on the stock setup at 1100' away. For height I guess higher can always be more interesting. I was over 1100' up on the stock setup today with no problems. But have had the wifi crap out of me on other flights not as far or high, so I've ordered a couple of antennas etc to upgrade the repeater so it's more reliable. Plus who wouldn't want to fly 2000' high (or more)?

This is my favorite thread of all of them! You guys are so inventive - it's just plain awesome. THANKS.

With stock tx only got to 1,300 altitude then control would cut out but on same stock controller I get much greater distance, so far I've done 2,533. So new antenna on tx wouldn't benifit distance so much as high altitude flying.

Hey Ben a lot of guy using the to link 9 after seeing your vid and what you wrote I went with the 8dbi omni hope I get as good of results as you.
Seems like the omni would be the better choice
Do you plan on boosting it
Has anyone run both antennas any improvement over using just one?

While looking for a white antenna I came across this; has anyone used it?
Amico 2.4GHz 15dBi RP-SMA Male Tilt-Swivel Wireless WiFi Router Antenna Gray White

There's a smaller 10dBi version too.
===
Thanks to everyone for all the info!
My mod includes the parts from an old Meraki OD2 outdoor AP. I pulled the U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail cable and its included waterproof silicone 'washers' (inside and out) and I'm currently using the Meraki's 2dB external antenna (waterproof) until I decide on an antenna. I like this setup because it looks like it came stock from DJI and seals up the hole I made. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2015.JPG
    IMG_2015.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_2016.JPG
    IMG_2016.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 439
mr_3_0_5 said:
Hey Ben a lot of guy using the to link 9 after seeing your vid and what you wrote I went with the 8dbi omni hope I get as good of results as you.
Seems like the omni would be the better choice
Do you plan on boosting it
Has anyone run both antennas any improvement over using just one?

Hi, I will also be upgrading to the dual antenna setup after I've finished some more tests. I'll alternate between using two omni directionals as well as one omni and one directional antenna. For every day flying I'm getting good enough range with the 8dbi TPLink omni directional and I don't have the added weight or bulk of the directional antennas. I also have a 9dbi omni directional though in preliminary tests it doesn't seem to be doing any better than the 8dbi TPLink but i'll need to do further test flights.

I will be doing some more tests with the 9dbi TPLink directional antenna mounted in a different location, though I've said that already in a prior post. I don't think I was getting good range from it because of the mounting location being on top of the repeater. Might be do to it being a single and not dual antenna setup but it's anyone's guess. The most I've heard people getting out of it anyway is 2,400 to 2,700 feet and I've already gotten in between that range with the Omni, though only at a sideways angle.

Future upgrades will include upgrading the Phantom Visions Camera wifi Antennas and also the transmitter antenna so I can join the mile high club :p

I am considering the 2.4ghz wifi signal booster. I'm also going to try using a separate wifi repeater attached to two high gain omni antennas and see how that works.

I wish the weather was not so **** cold and or wet or snowing all the time. But that's winter for you. I'd have finished all my tests a long time ago otherwise.

I will also be posting video how to's on all the additional upgrades on my youtube channel to benefit other's who've yet to make the upgrades or know they can be done. I think most people would be satisfied with just upgrading the repeater antenna as the Phantom is just a dot in the sky at that point it can be risky flying too far away should something go wrong. One thing though worth mentioning is I did have VLOS at 2,500 feet distance as it was a night flight, Much harder to keep an eye on in day time much past 1,200 feet unless you have your eye on it at all times and not the FPV screen.

ClimbrJohn said:
Amico 2.4GHz 15dBi RP-SMA Male Tilt-Swivel Wireless WiFi Router Antenna Gray White

===
My mod includes the parts from an old Meraki OD2 outdoor AP. I pulled the U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail cable and its included waterproof silicone 'washers' (inside and out) and I'm currently using the Meraki's 2dB external antenna (waterproof) until I decide on an antenna. I like this setup because it looks like it came stock from DJI and seals up the hole I made. Thoughts?

Nice clean looking antenna setup. Though I doubt it will perform any better than the stock setup if even as good. You should have held off doing the upgrade until you had a proper antenna. I've seen that 15dbi you sent link to. Never seen or heard of it before though it's anyone's guess if it's "really" a 15dbi omni directional. It would have to be quite long for it to really be 15dbi. Some of these antennas have wrong descriptions. For example a 9dbi omni directional I have I've also seen listed as a 10dbi antenna in some other listings though it's the identical antenna. Also there some antennas where the title says a higher number but read the description and it's a lower number. You never know for sure unless it's a reputable name brand.

Thanks. It does perform a bit better, but not by much. I figured I'd at least get the SMA connector installed and then start trying out antennas since I can now swap them easily.

It seems like TP-LINK's 8dBi omni or 9dBi directional are the way go. Anything better out there or a white colored omni that's been tested?

Nice clean looking antenna setup. Though I doubt it will perform any better than the stock setup if even as good. You should have held off doing the upgrade until you had a proper antenna. I've seen that 15dbi you sent link to. Never seen or heard of it before though it's anyone's guess if it's "really" a 15dbi omni directional. It would have to be quite long for it to really be 15dbi. Some of these antennas have wrong descriptions. For example a 9dbi omni directional I have I've also seen listed as a 10dbi antenna in some other listings though it's the identical antenna. Also there some antennas where the title says a higher number but read the description and it's a lower number. You never know for sure unless it's a reputable name brand.

ClimbrJohn said:

===

Really clean setup! I really like how it looks Factory. What kind of distance are you getting with it though?

For people wanting to do the Vision Camera Antenna mod and don't want the trouble of completely taking the camera apart this will be a life saver for you. Though it's a bit over priced it will save you the hassle, especially if you're not especially adept and taking stuff apart.

P.S. I made a mistake. This will just act as an extension cable as it's Male to Female. I need to find a Male to Male U.FL cable.

$10 in this ebay add. Free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pigtail-U-FL-Ma ... 338440aca2

It's a female to male U.FL cable. That way all you need to do it pop the 4 screws off the bottom of the vision camera, pop open the lid and take one of the cables off the antennas and plug it into this adapter, then the adapter into your u.fl female to rp-sma cable. It would be simpler still if I could find a male u.fl to Rp-sma connector but no luck so far.

Thanks! I haven't really been able to test yet. I'm in downtown Denver with a lot of WiFi interference. I was getting FPV ~120ft away now it's closer to 200ft. FPV directly overhead at altitude went from ~300ft to ~1,000ft. I realize this still isn't close to what I should be getting but it's at least an improvement. (The one time I was able to test without interference I was able to get the DJI quoted distances, so I think the FPV is working like it should before the mod.)

I have a larger white D-Link antenna that came with a DIR-825 but didn't notice any improvement over the Meraki. I think they're both only ~2dBi so I wasn't expecting much.

So, still looking for a higher gain white omni antenna...

Scottrod said:
Really clean setup! I really like how it looks Factory. What kind of distance are you getting with it though?

BenDronePilot said:
For people wanting to do the Vision Camera Antenna mod and don't want the trouble of completely taking the camera apart this will be a life saver for you. Though it's a bit over priced it will save you the hassle, especially if you're not especially adept and taking stuff apart.

$10 in this ebay add. Free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pigtail-U-FL-Ma ... 338440aca2

It's a female to male U.FL cable. That way all you need to do it pop the 4 screws off the bottom of the vision camera, pop open the lid and take one of the cables off the antennas and plug it into this adapter, then the adapter into your u.fl female to rp-sma cable. It would be simpler still if I could find a male u.fl to Rp-sma connector but no luck so far.

Unfortunately I know from experience that this cable will not work for that purpose, it will however make it easier to swap multiple pigtails. The problem is that the cable connecting to the internal antenna is this:

Using that connector simply extends the internal cable by one inch, if this would work, it would not be needed as you could just attach to the existing cable.

Great minds think alike.

Attachments

• 20140127_224259.jpg
    20140127_224259.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 288

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member