More powerfull repeater?

oukenfold said:
themosttoys

very good themosttoys thats what i wanna do with my camara can you tell me something.

1.- in wich atenna inside left o right of the camara you connect the pigtail cable, and its 15 cm cable o more?
2.- whats antenna 5db are you using can you post where you buy it.
3.- what antennas you are using in the repeater?
4 can you tell me where did you make the drill in the camara to get out the cable?
5.- can you post picture of you camara modification.
finally hope you can and thank u

1. Left side, aka, the side closest to the omni.
2. It's the antenna that came with the amplifier. This is the amplifier I ordered, though it looks like they changed the packaging (wish they hadn't because the connector is heavier than needed.) http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wirel ... ooster.php
3. In this test I used wifiexperts 9dbi omni (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAEF80S/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1) with the stock repeater (pic below).
4. I used the vent holes already on the camera.
5. No modification, I just opened the camera and attached the new antenna lead. It is a little difficult (needed to remove the camera) but just be careful and it will go.

Attachments

• 20140124_214819.jpg
    20140124_214819.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 698
  • 20140124_214525.jpg
    20140124_214525.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 691
themosttoys said:
oukenfold said:
themosttoys

very good themosttoys thats what i wanna do with my camara can you tell me something.

1.- in wich atenna inside left o right of the camara you connect the pigtail cable, and its 15 cm cable o more?
2.- whats antenna 5db are you using can you post where you buy it.
3.- what antennas you are using in the repeater?
4 can you tell me where did you make the drill in the camara to get out the cable?
5.- can you post picture of you camara modification.
finally hope you can and thank u

1. Left side, aka, the side closest to the omni.
2. It's the antenna that came with the amplifier. This is the amplifier I ordered, though it looks like they changed the packaging (wish they hadn't because the connector is heavier than needed.) http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wirel ... ooster.php
3. In this test I used wifiexperts 9dbi omni (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAEF80S/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1) with the stock repeater (pic below).
4. I used the vent holes already on the camera.
5. No modification, I just opened the camera and attached the new antenna lead. It is a little difficult (needed to remove the camera) but just be careful and it will go.

excelent themosttoys, for your answer, i will buy more pig tail cables for this modification, hope 5db tp link works for the camaras. i wonder what will happend if a put 2 anttenas on the legs of the p2v like you instead of one, just thinking.

do you have an external baterie to power up the amplifier? you buy that for the repearter or for the camara antenas?

oukenfold said:
excelent themosttoys, for your answer, i will buy more pig tail cables for this modification, hope 5db tp link works for the camaras. i wonder what will happend if a put 2 anttenas on the legs of the p2v like you instead of one, just thinking.

do you have an external baterie to power up the amplifier? you buy that for the repearter or for the camara antenas?

The 5db TPLink is a good antenna and should work well.
I'm sure replacing both antennas would work fine, not sure it would make much difference (If I get the time, I might try). Though depending on the wifi setup, it could be a good improvement.
When I initially mount the amplifier (on the P2V), I will be using a 1000mah battery, but if I decide to make it permanent I will probably tie into the P2V battery.

Here's my future plans.

Attachments

• 20140124_221507.jpg
    20140124_221507.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 656
themosttoys said:
oukenfold said:

The 5db TPLink is a good antenna and should work well.
I'm sure replacing both antennas would work fine, not sure it would make much difference (If I get the time, I might try). Though depending on the wifi setup, it could be a good improvement.
When I initially mount the amplifier (on the P2V), I will be using a 1000mah battery, but if I decide to make it permanent I will probably tie into the P2V battery.

Here's my future plans.

Excellent work themostoys. Here's a crazy thought- bend the omni into a u shape and strap across both rear legs of the pv. This would help with placing the omni length away from blades and clear of the ground. I suspect the antenna pattern would be quite beneficial to us.

I hit 1km+, I say plus because after 1000m my distance went to n/a but I still had solid video. I estimate it actually went to about 1200m before control signal started cutting in and out. I reckon that's about my limit without now upgrading the control antenna.

iDrone said:
Yours truly's Vision augmented with 2.4GHz 360° cloverleaf FPV & telemetry antenna.

iDrone :ugeek:

iDrone, how did you tie/attach the cloverleaf antenna to your P2V? Is it possible for you to post a close-up picture for this, please?

Thanks!

By the way, do you have another 2.4GHz cloverleaf antenna on the "other side", I mean, in the Wi-Fi repeater?

BenDronePilot said:
Twitch said:
Maybe you all can help me. I have been following this thread. I have made the modification to the Wifi extender to attach an antenna externally, leaving one of the stock antennas attached inside the extender. I picked up the TP-Link 5db omni-antenna and have gotten live-view range out to around 1,500 feet. Then I purchased the TP-Link TL-ANT2409A and attached it to the Wifi Extender, plugging it in in place of the 5db antenna. The problem is when I use the 9db antenna suddenly my live-view range drops to around 300-400 feet... Any ideas why? Could it be that I am placing the 9db antenna directly in front of the one remaining active stock antenna, or would this not have an effect. I'm a bit confused as to why my range would decrease so drastically... I switched back to the 5db omni, and immediately my range was back in the 1,500 foot range.

I had similar results using the 9dbi directional with it only performing barely better than the stock setup. I think it has to do with mounting it over the remaining working antenna as they likely work in tandem or it may be causing interference. I'll be testing again with it mounted elsewhere. And yeah the 5dbi omni directional works quite well I've been able to get as far as 2,000 feet with that one.

Since yesterday, I read everything (and I really mean everything!!!) you wrote in this thread! First of all, thank you very much to all of you willing to share your P2V experience, research, successes and failures! We all appreciate that!

Although I still consider myself a newbie in RC and FPV, I am full of ideas, thanks to you! Maybe too many ideas, maybe still a bit confused with all this info "absorved" in just one day, but, to be honest, I prefer it like this!

Hopefully, I can also contribute with some of my ideas and experiments shortly!

In the meantime, for this specific issue, I wonder if it's related to the fact that more powerful antennas "suck" more power from the repeater. Like Highcloud mentions here (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3880&start=640), I am sure that the battery for the repeater must be charged plenty more times than we think and much sooner before it gives any signal regarding low power. It is also the battery that takes longer to charge, but I don't think it takes that much time to "discharge". I have noticed before that, although it was not giving any signal for loss of power, I was having issues with the Wi-Fi range, so, I charged it, went back out and everything went back to normal.

So, my suggestion is: try to add a battery charger to the repeater while you are using each one of the antennas and flying the P2V and let us know if you noticed any improvement on your Wi-Fi range, specially for the more powerful antennas.

oukenfold said:
Highcloud said:
oukenfold said:
Highcloud

hi guys, where i can t someting like this for my tripod. to put the docooler repeter the baterie etc on the top of the tripod.?

Rotating stand http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 587wt_1161

Follow the images and the repeater set up instructions. Remeber that you must use the SSID of Phantom_newname Took me 2 hours to figure out that Phantom_ is key to the ssid.

can you post that part of finding the phantom_newname highcloud plz,

thank all you guys i love my phantom everyday more and more.

Originally posts by Jason Lee and RemE

RemE Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
5,245 Posts How to configure a Long Range Extender

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With many thanks to Mr. Lee and Mitchy123 for bringing light to this, here is my attempt of a how-to setup of the Docooler ARGtek 1500mW Router/Repeater/Client Bridge, available here;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First off, I love the stock WiFi Extender, it's small, runs a long time and is great for most general usage. I was drawn to the option of a larger extender that could be used as needed and not hack into the stock extender. This setup seems like the perfect option. Even if I don't go super far, I like the idea of the video and all the great telemetry data always being there, even if the control is lost. This way you can still monitor the model and get status as it hopefully goes into failsafe and begins its return.

This could be done with most any router, probably. I have a amateur license so I'm OK with using this more powerful version responsibly.

Overview, what we will do is to first gather the data from your existing Range Extender/Camera network. It will be needed to fill in the boxes in the Router config screens. Armed with that knowledge, we configure the router to mimic your stock extender.

1 - Normally you start with a working Vision WiFi Range Extender setup, power up the extender, the Vision, then your Phone/Pad and go to Settings>WiFi, and connect to the Extender Network.

2 - While still in the phone/pad WiFi settings, touch the (i) info icon to the right of the currently connected Range Extender network. In this information page, jot down the "IP Address", "Router", and the "Search Domains" information.

3 - Now Open the DJI Phone App and go to Settings>General>Binding. In here you will see the "Current Binding" data. Copy down the SSID number, this is the hidden ID of the Vision Camera, note that it's "FC200_the last 6 digits of its MAC address", just good to know. Note - The other instructions I saw had you reset the Extender and then Re-Bind the Camera using the QR Code from the shipping box and the manual (pg16), this should not be necessary if you have a normally working system already as you should be able to just read the current data. I have tried it both ways and it does work to get the Camera's hidden SSID number to show up if that information is blank in this screen for some reason.

Now we will configure the router. But first, I thought I'd mention something about using a second, spare, Range Extender. I was going to get a 2nd extender to modify it with big antennas etc. as others have done. I took the 2nd extender and found that I could bind it to the same Vision using the QR code from the Vision Shipping box (I keep a copy of this QR code in my carry case). The 2nd Extender shows up as a 2nd network on the iPad. So you can carry a spare extender and use one OR the other with no changes needed on the Vision, just connect to the which ever extender you need, each has a unique network name, easy!

Now, back to the Router.
4 - Unpack it and connect its antennas, don't operate it without antennas!

5 - Power it up with its AC adapter, connect a LAN cable to your laptop's LAN port to port 1 of the Router (any port really, except the WAN port).

6 - Open your laptop's browser and type in this URL 192.168.1.254
This should open the router's built-in WLAN Access Point web interface.

7 - We will be only configuring a few items, navigate using the Site Contents bar on the left side of the screen beginning with "Operation Mode". We will NOT use the setup wizard.

8 - Click on "Operation Mode" on the left bar, now select the "Bridge" radio button. Then click on "Apply Change" button at the bottom. It may restart, but don't worry it will come back.

9 - Now click on "Wireless" on the left bar and below that, select "Basic Settings". In here you select "Client" for the mode. for SSID you type in the SSID information from your Vision camera. Check the box near the bottom "Enable Universal Repeater Mode". Lastly in the "SSID of Extended Interface" box type in the name you want this Router Network to show on your Phone/iPad. I chose "Phantom_Ranger" as mine. Now click on apply changes, it may restart, no worries.

NOTE- It appears that the Vision Phone App must see "Phantom" in the first part of the SSID name in order to accept the connection to the router. Be sure to enter Phantom(plus anything more here) when you choose your router's network name.

10- Now click on "TCP/IP Settings" on the left bar and select "LAN Interface".
IP Address, Enter the info from your phone's "Router" field.
DHCP Client Range, enter the IP address from your Range Extender's WiFi setting as the start range, and a higher address as the end range (doesn't really matter).
Domain Name, enter "lan", then apply changes.

This should be it! disconnect the laptop, I power cycled my router, then fired up my Vision TX, then the Vision (and camera/Wifi). Leave your range extender OFF. On my iPad I went into Settings, WiFi, and watched for the "Phantom_Ranger" network to show up. It did, I connected to it, then opened the Vision App, and it worked right off the bat!!

can this make done with AP Router Repeater Client of my choice or it have to be the Docooler ARGtek Wireless-N only thank for advance.

This is probably my biggest doubt, for everything I read earlier. I'm still not convinced this solution actually works far better (or only better...) than just "boosting" the original Phantom Wi-Fi range extender with a Omni antenna or a directional antenna, since I've read you get similar results for the achieved distance with the P2V. Can anyone advise, please? Thnx

I've used 2.4GHz WiFi Amplifier instead of AP repeater and achieve a result of flying distance to 1km. BTW, I also using 9db antennas for the amplifier.......^^

Attachments

• 20140124_005449.jpg
    20140124_005449.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 797
  • 2014-01-23-16-08-05.jpg
    2014-01-23-16-08-05.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 749
Guys I have to say I'm super impressed with the ingenuity of the posters in this thread. Some clever solutions and even some very well done set ups that look like they were stock from the factory.

You've inspired me to start looking into it as well. My one question (apologies but I never saw it addressed anywhere) is can the stock 5.8ghz control transmitter actually keep up with the 2000feet and 1+km distances you are achieving with your FPVs?

audis200 said:
I've used 2.4GHz WiFi Amplifier instead of AP repeater and achieve a result of flying distance to 1km. BTW, I also using 9db antennas for the amplifier.......^^
Hi there. Just wonder is it a 1or2w amplifier? What kind of mob with the power supply to the lipo battery. Because they all come with home socket connection. I am now thinking between of opening the camera and add omni Antenna or doing your amplifier method. But with your less 1km result compare to someone just done 1km test with omni antenna to camera. I think your method may be consider not cost effective? Sorry mate. I am just looking for the ultimate solution for about 1km range for everybody here.
Thanks

djayz said:
Guys I have to say I'm super impressed with the ingenuity of the posters in this thread. Some clever solutions and even some very well done set ups that look like they were stock from the factory.

You've inspired me to start looking into it as well. My one question (apologies but I never saw it addressed anywhere) is can the stock 5.8ghz control transmitter actually keep up with the 2000feet and 1+km distances you are achieving with your FPVs?

Yes you can. Someone has done 1.2 mile(optimum situation) with transmitter in FCC mode.

audis200 - Can you provide some more info regarding your setup? I've been reading quite a bit on here and it's been very helpful but I'm simply not getting the results. Have you done anything to the P2V antennas or just the setup you have in your photos?

Again, I'd appreciate some more info and also what kind of range you're getting with that setup.

* Use 2.5W Wifi signal booster with 2 x 9db 37cm antennas. (Yes, 37cm long.......right ><")
* No any modification for the drone.
* Use 8db antenna instead of oiginal remote's antenna.
* over 1km flying distance but the apps display 999m only.......N/A once over 999m.
* Use 2500mah Lipo battery, I used it for my AR Drone before.......cut and connect by yourself.

Attachments

• 20140126_144237.jpg
    20140126_144237.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 757
  • 20140126_144302.jpg
    20140126_144302.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 746
  • 20140126_144315.jpg
    20140126_144315.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 732
audis200 said:
* Use 2.5W Wifi signal booster with 2 x 9db 37cm antennas. (Yes, 37cm long.......right ><")
* over 1km flying distance but the apps display 999m only.......N/A once over 999m.
* Use 2500mah Lipo battery, I used it for my AR Drone before.......cut and connect by yourself.

With your setup, if you put a powerful Omni antenna on the drone, you will probably get from1,5 Km to 2Km range...

Stupid question, or maybe not...does your stock Wi-Fi range extender have to be on, when you are using the P2V?

themosttoys said:
Twitch said:
I did open up the camera and routed a pigtail outside of the camera to a small project box that I mounted to the landing skid. To that I attached a 6db omni-directional antenna. I had it upright near the body, the props were able to clear it. There was little to no noticeable difference in doing this, so if you were considering this type of mod, that's my experience with it.

Today I went ahead and attached (taped ;-) ) a 5dbi onmi to the P2V camera and had OUTSTANDING results. Flew to approx 4000 feet with solid video (at 640x480) with a full pan.

I have the amplifier (waiting on more parts before install).

Good times.

May I ask what length pigtails are being used? Will 4" be enough or do I need longer?

cavaleiro01 said:
audis200 said:

With your setup, if you put a powerful Omni antenna on the drone, you will probably get from1,5 Km to 2Km range...

Stupid question, or maybe not...does your stock Wi-Fi range extender have to be on, when you are using the P2V?

The stock wifi extender MUST be on since my 2.5w wifi booster cannot work individual........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka