More powerfull repeater?

Hi...

I boost the 5.8GHz tx with a home built PA - that give a good 2km range for control. I'm waiting to receive a low cost commercial 5.8GHz PA to test, I'll post on that when I get it.
The kit one I've used so far is
https://www.minikits.com.au/electronic-kits/rf-amplifiers/rf-high-power/6cm-1W-Amplifier

The wifi repeater is available on amazon, ebay etc
Amazon.com link and full instructions to set it up are here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2019429-DJI-Phantom-2-Vision-***Owners-Thread***/page345
It's well worth using that even without the 5.8GHz amp, as the wifi link seems to be the one that fails first for most folk, and this solution means your PV and TX are left exactly as standard.....

Have fun!

Santosh said:
gpauk said:
I've gone over to using a separate high powered repeater.

Hi, that' s interesting. How do you find the hidden SSID of your FC 200 ?

The ssid is FC200_xxxxxx where xxxxxx is the last 6 digits of the mac address printed on the cam.
You can also look this up on the network info on your phone etc. An ios example is in the instructions I just linked to....

gpauk said:
Hi...

I boost the 5.8GHz tx with a home built PA - that give a good 2km range for control. I'm waiting to receive a low cost commercial 5.8GHz PA to test, I'll post on that when I get it.
https://www.minikits.com.au/electronic-kits/rf-amplifiers/rf-high-power/6cm-1W-Amplifier

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2019429-DJI-Phantom-2-Vision-***Owners-Thread***/page345
It's well worth using that even without the 5.8GHz amp, as the wifi link seems to be the one that fails first for most folk, and this solution means your PV and TX are left exactly as standard.....

Have fun!

Hi gpauk, I want to install the Sony RX100 II(290grs) in the PV, Sony has an APP to control shutter from Cel devices but the range is only 10Ft, be possible to add range extender to control the camera but more like 1000 ft range? with this setup ?

Hi GPAUK, Now understand what you have done. looks like this repeater has 3 x omni antennaes. Any advantage replacing them with directional antennas to increase range even further?

juarboleda said:
Hi gpauk, I want to install the Sony RX100 II(290grs) in the PV, Sony has an APP to control shutter from Cel devices but the range is only 10Ft, be possible to add range extender to control the camera but more like 1000 ft range? with this setup ?

Tricky... I expect it's limited by the wifi in the RX100, so you'd need to fly a repeater with the cam.. Not a good idea probably...
Check with someone like these guys:
http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/

Highcloud said:
Hi GPAUK, Now understand what you have done. looks like this repeater has 3 x omni antennaes. Any advantage replacing them with directional antennas to increase range even further?

Personally, I wanted to avoid directional antennas. I've got some 11dbi omnis coming to replace the ones that come with it, I'll let you know how that goes!

mem_ny said:
Very clever

I concur, very clever indeed. Just way too big to be practical and certainly not very portable. I'm going to stick with the smaller antennas myself as they'll already provide enough range to bring your Phantom well out of VLOS and still maintain portability.

gpauk said:
Hi...

Have fun!

Thanks for the info gpauk! The 2.4Ghz wireless repeater you put up has 1500mW output which appears to be the same as the standard extender..? Obviously the MIMO and bigger antennas on the wireless repeater are where you get your big gain in range though I'm guessing?

gpauk said:
Highcloud said:

Personally, I wanted to avoid directional antennas. I've got some 11dbi omnis coming to replace the ones that come with it, I'll let you know how that goes!

There are pro's and con's to everything (no magic). Directional antennas will give more range (of course, only in the direction they are pointing). At first blush, amnis are the clear choice. However, the challenge with onmis is the vertical vs horizontal plane. The way an omni directional antenna will increase it's gain is to shrink the vertical plan in preference for more horizontal sensitivity. For most wifi scenarios this is a good trade. In our particular scenario, vertical coverage is important. Because of the reduced vertical coverage of the higher dbi omnis, if you fly up (outside the narrow vertical plane) you will have to aim (tilt) them too. This will work, however, by tilting the omnis, you are essentially giving up the advantage of them being omni and really using them as an inefficient directional (losing half of the donut). I'm not saying this to be argumentative (to each their own), just pointing out the behavior of different antenna types. Of course, as long as you stay in the vertical plane of the omni, it will fly circles around a directional ;-)

themosttoys said:
There are pro's and con's to everything (no magic). Directional antennas will give more range (of course, only in the direction they are pointing). At first blush, amnis are the clear choice. However, the challenge with onmis is the vertical vs horizontal plane. The way an omni directional antenna will increase it's gain is to shrink the vertical plan in preference for more horizontal sensitivity. For most wifi scenarios this is a good trade. In our particular scenario, vertical coverage is important. Because of the reduced vertical coverage of the higher dbi omnis, if you fly up (outside the narrow vertical plane) you will have to aim (tilt) them too. This will work, however, by tilting the omnis, you are essentially giving up the advantage of them being omni and really using them as an inefficient directional (losing half of the donut). I'm not saying this to be argumentative (to each their own), just pointing out the behavior of different antenna types. Of course, as long as you stay in the vertical plane of the omni, it will fly circles around a directional ;-)

Well said. It's also worth noting that a high gain omni will probably out perform the stock directional antennas that are including in the wifi repeater. Also you could use something like the clover leaf antenna vs a standard omni directional That will also reduce the need to have to move it around. Although I don't know what the DBI gain is in the stock directional antennas.

Also as long as I don't loose transmitter control I'll leave it stock, otherwise I'll replace the transmitter antenna as well with a detachable option.

I ordered both a directional antenna and clover leaf and also have a high gain and regular gain omni's. I will put them all to the test and post pics and vid's on my youtube channel with how to perform the mods and their resulting performance.

gpauk said:
Hi...

Have fun!

I am guilty of "range rage." I actually considered the P2 (non vision) due to it's increased range, but am unwilling to give up photos on demand.

This use of your repeater was used in a post that Noel posted several days ago. I was intrigued back then and very pleased to see that you actually implemented it. That's the great thing about forums with people willing to share. The author of that article talked about range of "712M or about 2,300ft @ 39M or 127ft altitude." You are doing more than double that range at 1.5km. That's outstanding.

Can you elaborate on the RC TX range amplification. What is that we should be looking to buy. I'm willing to try and report back. I give you credit for your ambition and skill, but I'm not really capable of building anything.

[attachment=1]image.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]image.jpg[/attachment]

Hey guys ...this is my setup and I have been very happy...it's a itelite mra24014 antenna ..I have been to 1500 ft vertical and 1950 ft horizontal..thanks to everyone's input we can go above and beyond...I wanted to balance out the controller and antenna to have a good feel and this was it.. I live in ohio and the weather has been really cold... I'm going to push it further when I can and post my iPhone pics of my distances when I can...

Sorg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 390
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 362
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 346
gpauk said:
Hi...

Have fun!

What power supply are you using for the amplifier? I've just bought one. I plan on using it with the black 11dbi 5.8ghz antenna from eBay along with the 14dbi tp link 2.4ghz antenna for the wifi range. I'm expecting around 2-3km range.

themosttoys said:
gpauk said:
Highcloud said:

Well, that's why some folk like circ polarised antennas. I'm happy to use the 3 diversity antennas aimed differently.
Speaking as someone who has designed a number of commercial microwave antennas, the radiation pattern and efficiency gets quite complex... In my use the max angle is probably 30 degrees even at a high altitude; but the bottom line is I want reasonable range without having to adjust any pointing... :)

mem_ny said:
Can you elaborate on the RC TX range amplification. What is that we should be looking to buy. I'm willing to try and report back. I give you credit for your ambition and skill, but I'm not really capable of building anything.

If you can hang on a few days the ready built one should be here, I'll post results -- that will just need a new cable in the tx (ufl to sma) then you can screw on a small antenna or hook on the amp....

Primordial said:
Thanks for the info gpauk! The 2.4Ghz wireless repeater you put up has 1500mW output which appears to be the same as the standard extender..? Obviously the MIMO and bigger antennas on the wireless repeater are where you get your big gain in range though I'm guessing?

The stock PV has an output specified at <=17dBm according to their website, ie <50mW.
It's power consumption is 1.5W......

Can I have two repeaters? I want to buy an extra wifi repeater and put an external ant on it like I've seen guys do on this forum to get better range. I want to mount it on a tripod with my iPad. I want to keep the other one mounted to my controller to use when I want to be more "portable". I know I can't use them at the same time but can I keep both of them configured the same so I don't have to bind them each time I switch between them. Thanks in advance for any help.

Newbie....... Tx

Yes, you can have as many repeaters as you want all binded to the same transmitter, you just can't use them at the same time. It will be very handy to have a couple set up for different needs. I'm planning on doing the same.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z