More powerfull repeater?

gpauk said:
mem_ny said:
Can you elaborate on the RC TX range amplification. What is that we should be looking to buy. I'm willing to try and report back. I give you credit for your ambition and skill, but I'm not really capable of building anything.

If you can hang on a few days the ready built one should be here, I'll post results -- that will just need a new cable in the tx (ufl to sma) then you can screw on a small antenna or hook on the amp....

I'm hanging in. Also, can you let us know how you powered the router as well. The Foxtech battery is a hassle to get for those of us in the States.

AirDoghouse said:
Can I have two repeaters? I want to buy an extra wifi repeater and put an external ant on it like I've seen guys do on this forum to get better range. I want to mount it on a tripod with my iPad. I want to keep the other one mounted to my controller to use when I want to be more "portable". I know I can't use them at the same time but can I keep both of them configured the same so I don't have to bind them each time I switch between them. Thanks in advance for any help.

Newbie....... Tx

Yes -- that's exactly what I've done.... See the link above for instructions....

gpauk said:
themosttoys said:
gpauk said:
Personally, I wanted to avoid directional antennas. I've got some 11dbi omnis coming to replace the ones that come with it, I'll let you know how that goes!

There are pro's and con's to everything (no magic). Directional antennas will give more range (of course, only in the direction they are pointing). At first blush, amnis are the clear choice. However, the challenge with onmis is the vertical vs horizontal plane. The way an omni directional antenna will increase it's gain is to shrink the vertical plan in preference for more horizontal sensitivity. For most wifi scenarios this is a good trade. In our particular scenario, vertical coverage is important. Because of the reduced vertical coverage of the higher dbi omnis, if you fly up (outside the narrow vertical plane) you will have to aim (tilt) them too. This will work, however, by tilting the omnis, you are essentially giving up the advantage of them being omni and really using them as an inefficient directional (losing half of the donut). I'm not saying this to be argumentative (to each their own), just pointing out the behavior of different antenna types. Of course, as long as you stay in the vertical plane of the omni, it will fly circles around a directional ;-)

Well, that's why some folk like circ polarised antennas.

Just to be sure nobody (for those that are not antenna designers) wastes their time, in this situation, using an off the shelf circular polarized antenna on the wifi repeater will not be an improvement. While there are benefits to circ pol antenna's (especially in FPV), those benefits only add up when used on both ends (would also need to change the antennas in the P2V camera.)

Would be interested in the results of your testing between the 5dbi (that come with the repeater) and the 11dbi antenna's.

Cheers

i am bit confuse, can i use antenas of 5ghz in the vision remote control (tx) and in the repeter? if it has more db, its better? if is necesarry change the tx stock antenna or just put and antenna on the repeter like i see in this post to get more distance and altitud?

islandstyle said:
Nice setup neils!!

Thanks to everyone else for the info and pics..

I also purchased the 14db Tplink but found it way to heavy for my TX with my mini Ipad for my FPV..

I mounted everything on a spare tripod I had using all gopro mounting accessories..

I mounted it up using the quick releases just in case in wanted to mount it all back on to the TX..

I still need to hook the lines up and do some testing..

Thanks again to everyone who is contributing to this thread..

where i can buy that metal piece where that you put in the tripod where its the repeater and you hang the ipad?

Thanks to all for the information on this thread. I have setup the TL-ANT2414A on a tripod mount and done two test flights.

My flights we both done from my back porch, over power lines and other "inference" around. My first flight I took a northbound path which takes me over trees and park land, this is likely the best route for testing. I went about 1850ft out before I started to notice video start to chop up, this was with an altitude around 200ft. This flight was during the daytime and honestly I had a hard time pointing the TP-Link since I was hard pressed to see the P2V at that distance.

The second flight was at night, so keeping the TP-Link pointed was much easier. This flight I took SE which takes me over a busier part of the city, plenty to look at but also cell towers and other additional interference. I was still able to achieve around 1800ft before video started to be a problem and more precise pointing was required. I also flew much higher, around 300-400ft most of the time which was required with the line of sight available.

themosttoys said:
gpauk said:
themosttoys said:
Well, that's why some folk like circ polarised antennas.

Just to be sure nobody (for those that are not antenna designers) wastes their time, in this situation, using an off the shelf circular polarized antenna on the wifi repeater will not be an improvement. While there are benefits to circ pol antenna's (especially in FPV), those benefits only add up when used on both ends (would also need to change the antennas in the P2V camera.)

Would be interested in the results of your testing between the 5dbi (that come with the repeater) and the 11dbi antenna's.

Cheers

I've already purchased the 5.8Ghz BluBeam Ultra Circular Polarized Antenna intending to use just the RC TX side but have not received them.

Interestingly, alexmia reported 100% increase in TX of his RC using the clover leaf, also a circular polarized antenna. http://amzn.to/1imYXVz He did not use a RX on the p2V side. It appears that several pilots have converted to this cloverleaf for the RC. How does this reconcile? is the FPV usage that much different than the RC usage of these antennas. I'd be grateful if you clear this up. Don't want to unnecessary change the RC to accommodate these antennas if its worthless to do so.

mem_ny said:
I've already purchased the 5.8Ghz BluBeam Ultra Circular Polarized Antenna intending to use just the RC TX side but have not received them.

Interestingly, alexmia reported 100% increase in TX of his RC using the clover leaf, also a circular polarized antenna. http://amzn.to/1imYXVz He did not use a RX on the p2V side. It appears that several pilots have converted to this cloverleaf for the RC. How does this reconcile? is the FPV usage that much different than the RC usage of these antennas. I'd be grateful if you clear this up. Don't want to unnecessary change the RC to accommodate these antennas if its worthless to do so.

There is a lot of info on electromagnetic waves and antenna polarization. Without getting too deep into it, this is a fairly quick read on the subject: http://www.antenna-theory.com/basics/polarization.php

Essentially, by using a circ pol antenna on the TX (but not on the RX) you will lose 3db. The antenna's at your link are 5db antennas, so using only one (with a linear polarized RX) will be the same as using a 2db linear antenna. That said, there are other benefits to circ pol antennas, like the fact that the signal will be more consistent ad less than perfect orientation and suffer less from interference (testing conditions considered). Lots of options and things to consider, however, if what you are going for is max range, a linear (vertical) polarized patch (directional) antenna will outperform (have more range in a given direction) than a circ pol or omni antenna. But maybe maximum range is not what's most important in your situation.

All that said, one overriding principle is always YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). Try it and if it works for you, I say keep doing it and enjoy.

iDrone said:
LeoS said:
"Where does he get those wonderful toys?" ...The Joker (1989)

I'd love to see the manifest of radio goodies he used to pull that off, esp flying w/o 100% line-of-site at all times.

My head hurts thinking about it :twisted:

Some ppl say he uses another (or two) quads to relay the signal, hovering high above. I wonder if he runs such a complex operation though... if Koh Samui has an excellent 3G\4G cell network, this might be a good case for 100% control+FPV over IP.

This video is even crazier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCSTVpOFC-s

between 1:10 to 1:30 you'll see he's practically blocked in all direction but up, as he goes around a building making tight maneuvers, then came really close to a bundle of electricity cable and dances around it. :shock:

LeoS said:
...This video is even crazier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCSTVpOFC-s

between 1:10 to 1:30 you'll see he's practically blocked in all direction but up as he goes around a building making tight maneuvers, then came really close to a bundle of electricity cable and dances around it. :shock:
Holy Crap! I read some of the comments, I think your right... flying repeaters, plus power (as in watts). If I were to gonna try this I'd go for lower freq radios (UHF/not microwave) and omni antennas. I can't see the tip of his forward stick antenna but I'm guessing its below 1ghz, so 900/630/433Mhz as someone commented. I'll bet he thinks what we're trying to do is child's play! Gives me motivation & encouragement though so a definite thanks for posting this.

iDrone

mr_3_0_5 said:
I think he followed it with a scooter like in his other video

That could be an option, but based on all videos (especially the more recent), that does not seem likely. Even in this video, I don't see how he could keep up with the TBS (quad) from the ground and get back in position at the end. Anythings possible, just does not seem likely.

The initial clues (that started all the speculation) are in this shot.

Notice the two controllers sitting on the ground and / or the massive array of antenna on the roof of the building.

Whatever he does to boost or relay the signals (others have speculated cellular but that too does not seem likely) one thing is for sure, he has skills. In some of his other videos he flies through and around power lines, trees, people and buildings as good as anyone I've seen.

Some say reckless, but regardless, it's pretty impressive.

Attachments

• Clip0006.jpg
    Clip0006.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 393
Just tested out my TP-LINK 9dbi antenna and got a range of 650m. But when my connection drops i fly back into range but the video does not come back, the telemetry works fine so i know where the vision is but the video feed either goes black or a still picture of where it lost connection. I have to reboot the vision before the video comes back again.
Any suggestions???

007trains said:
Just tested out my TP-LINK 9dbi antenna and got a range of 650m. But when my connection drops i fly back into range but the video does not come back, the telemetry works fine so i know where the vision is but the video feed either goes black or a still picture of where it lost connection. I have to reboot the vision before the video comes back again.
Any suggestions???

Nevermind I found my problem. I had the antenna attached to the wrong connector in the repeater. :lol:

iDrone said:
Holy Crap! I read some of the comments, I think your right... flying repeaters, plus power (as in watts). If I were to gonna try this I'd go for lower freq radios (UHF/not microwave) and omni antennas. I can't see the tip of his forward stick antenna but I'm guessing its below 1ghz, so 900/630/433Mhz as someone commented. I'll bet he thinks what we're trying to do is child's play! Gives me motivation & encouragement though so a definite thanks for posting this.

iDrone

Yeah man! I wonder if there are UHF fpv solution too?
Gives me idea of using a helium\floating balloon station to hold our PV repeater with 2 high gain omni antennas to achieve something similar :)

themosttoys said:
The initial clues (that started all the speculation) are in this shot.

Notice the two controllers sitting on the ground and / or the massive array of antenna on the roof of the building.

Whatever he does to boost or relay the signals (others have speculated cellular but that too does not seem likely) one thing is for sure, he has skills. In some of his other videos he flies through and around power lines, trees, people and buildings as good as anyone I've seen.

Dang, I didn't pay attention to those clues. Thanks for posting the screen cap.
Someone also mentioned that the girls in that scene kept looking up toward the sky, and sure enough when I reviewed the video, both of them did that repeatedly.

007trains said:
Any suggestions???

Try to quit the app then rerun it.
I sometime get that too (less than 1 in 10 though). It always clears up with an app quit/relaunch for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews