More powerfull repeater?

007trains said:
MadMan said:
007trains said:
When i connected the tp-link antenna to the connector on the right it worked to a range of 650m and had difficulty reconnecting. when i connected to the the connector on the left i had a range of over 1km and no reconnect issues.

Sorry for the very lame question, but how are you determining left and right on the board? If you are holding the board and the antenna connections are closest to you? Away from you?

Actually a good question. I am holding the board with the connectors away from me.

Also i have found out that using my dads Galaxy S3 it gets a better connection and longer range than my Motorola Defy+

That's interesting, all of the previous posts i have seen said to connect to the connector on the left, when both connectors are facing the bottom. So that's wrong?

BenDronePilot said:
007trains said:
MadMan said:
Sorry for the very lame question, but how are you determining left and right on the board? If you are holding the board and the antenna connections are closest to you? Away from you?

Actually a good question. I am holding the board with the connectors away from me.

Also i have found out that using my dads Galaxy S3 it gets a better connection and longer range than my Motorola Defy+

That's interesting, all of the previous posts i have seen said to connect to the connector on the left, when both connectors are facing the bottom. So that's wrong?

I dunno why but so far i've been using the other connector with good results. I'll do a couple more trials swapping the antennas over and post the results. Also i've since played with the txpower setting in my motorola defy and switching it down from 20dbi to 18dbi helped improve the range. Not sure why but with my current setup i'm getting video well over 1km (the app just reads N/A after that).

Just a quick question for those experimenting with long range... If you bring up the radar screen is it scaling it's display to keep the orientation marker visible, or does it not work at all, or something in between? Even if it doesn't scale, if it still shows the orientation marker that's going to be very useful at those distances.

Oukenfold -

I like your setup and I am going with that. Can you tell me what go pro pieces you are using on your tri-pod and also can you tell me or even show me what you are using to connect the repeater when you are using in on your TX? I would really appreciate that information! :)

mmotown said:
Oukenfold -

I like your setup and I am going with that. Can you tell me what go pro pieces you are using on your tri-pod and also can you tell me or even show me what you are using to connect the repeater when you are using in on your TX? I would really appreciate that information! :)

mmotown that setup its actually from islandstyle not mine, i just have the same questions that you have.

oukenfold said:
mmotown said:
Oukenfold -

mmotown that setup its actually from islandstyle not mine, i just have the same questions that you have.

Oh...lol...Let me send him that question. Hopefully he posts for the both of us!

islandstyle said:
Nice setup neils!!

Thanks to everyone else for the info and pics..

I also purchased the 14db Tplink but found it way to heavy for my TX with my mini Ipad for my FPV..

I mounted everything on a spare tripod I had using all gopro mounting accessories..

I mounted it up using the quick releases just in case in wanted to mount it all back on to the TX..

I still need to hook the lines up and do some testing..

Thanks again to everyone who is contributing to this thread..

Islandstyle -

i have ordered the TP-LINK TL-ANT2409A, and i see its 9dBi Directional Antenna, and the stock repeater its 17dBm, so how you guys can get more range or distance from a antena with less gain?

oukenfold said:
i have ordered the TP-LINK TL-ANT2409A, and i see its 9dBi Directional Antenna, and the stock repeater its 17dBm, so how you guys can get more range or distance from a antena with less gain?

Good question, here is a brief explanation:

dBm (milliwatt) is a measure of power output (17dBm is 50mW). This is one of the points made earlier. Increasing power, for example to a 1500mW repeater (from the 50mW stock repeater) does not result is significant increase in range. The fact that it is a diversity (MIMO) repeater with larger antennas is what will make the most difference. Yes, all things being equal, increasing power will translate to more range, but it is the least important factor at the ranges we are trying to achieve.

dBi (isotropic) is a measure of antenna gain. I've not seen a fact sheet for the dBi of the antennas in the P2V camera, but in general, size matters. The wavelength of a 2.4 ghz signal is 4.92 inches, ... got to run, but basically (simply speaking on a linearly polarized antenna) 2.4ghz antennas will be some factor of 4.92 inches in size, 1/4 of the size vs 4 times the size will all translate to dBi gain (there are other tricks of the trade, this is just a simple example.)

themosttoys said:
oukenfold said:

Good question, here is a brief explanation:

dBm (milliwatt) is a measure of power output (17dBm is 50mW). This is one of the points made earlier. Increasing power, for example to a 1500mW repeater (from the 50mW stock repeater) does not result is significant increase in range. The fact that it is a diversity (MIMO) repeater with larger antennas is what will make the most difference. Yes, all things being equal, increasing power will translate to more range, but it is the least important factor at the ranges we are trying to achieve.

dBi (isotropic) is a measure of antenna gain. I've not seen a fact sheet for the dBi of the antennas in the P2V camera, but in general, size matters. The wavelength of a 2.4 ghz signal is 4.92 inches, ... got to run, but basically (simply speaking on a linearly polarized antenna) 2.4ghz antennas will be some factor of 4.92 inches in size, 1/4 of the size vs 4 times the size will all translate to dBi gain (there are other tricks of the trade, this is just a simple example.)

good explanation themosstoy, so i see that the wifi repeater its 50 mw thats nothing, if i put the TL-ANT2409A it will be 9db with 50 mw? or the MW will be always the same even if a change antennas with 9db, 14 db etc? because the repeater output it 50 mw?

oukenfold said:
good explanation themosstoy, so i see that the wifi repeater its 50 mw thats nothing, if i put the TL-ANT2409A it will be 9db with 50 mw? or the MW will be always the same even if a change antennas with 9db, 14 db etc? because the repeater output it 50 mw?

Changing antennas will have no effect on the power output of the amplifier (it will still be 50mW.)

When thinking about antenna gain, think of a balloon, increasing the gain squeezes the balloon into a donut shape. The higher the gain, the skinnier but wider the balloon. Omni directional antennas are antennas that exist in the center of the balloon (aka, the donut hole). Directional antennas exist closer to the side of the donut (like if you took a bite.)

themosttoys said:
oukenfold said:

Changing antennas will have no effect on the power output of the amplifier (it will still be 50mW.)

When thinking about antenna gain, think of a balloon, increasing the gain squeezes the balloon into a donut shape. The higher the gain, the skinnier but wider the balloon. Omni directional antennas are antennas that exist in the center of the balloon (aka, the donut hole). Directional antennas exist closer to the side of the donut (like if you took a bite.)

get it, and if a have an onmidirectional with a highier db like a cleaverleaf antennas, will squeezes the ballon in all sides, and example, an onmidirectional with 3 db i can recive video from 1 km in all sides, and with a 12 db will that incraise to 4 km? with the same 50 mw on the repeater?

Some good reading material here about Omni Antenna vs. Directional Antenna.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/t ... 34d3.shtml

The this image below does explain everything in one go.

omni_vs_directional.jpg

oukenfold said:
get it, and if a have an onmidirectional with a highier db like a cleaverleaf antennas, will squeezes the ballon in all sides, and example, an onmidirectional with 3 db i can recive video from 1 km in all sides, and with a 12 db will that incraise to 4 km? with the same 50 mw on the repeater?

On the 3dbi to 12dbi gain, as long as you fly in the (now squeezed down) donut, essentially yes, that is the potential gain.

On the cloverleaf NO. Cloverleaf are circularly polarized. Yes they can be used (and there are benefits), but unless you match both ends (circ pol on both TX & RX ends) you will lose gain.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews