More powerfull repeater?

Alexmia would this CloverLeaf ant work as well? I know its more expensive but I just like how I can point it in the direction i want possibly getting better range.

Attachments

• cloverleaf.jpg
    cloverleaf.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 686
Hi all, long time RCer, first time poster. Just finished setting up a 9dBi TP-Link, tested everything out to 500ft at 150ft altitude without problems before it got too dark. I was getting around 900ft distance with the stock setup so will be interested to see how far I can go now, hoping for at least 1500ft.

Mike

Fig Jam said:
Hi all, long time RCer, first time poster. Just finished setting up a 9dBi TP-Link, tested everything out to 500ft at 150ft altitude without problems before it got too dark. I was getting around 900ft distance with the stock setup so will be interested to see how far I can go now, hoping for at least 1500ft.

Mike

I've tested the stock setup at my local park to over 1,000 feet distance at nearly 400 foot altitude. You should have no trouble pushing past 1500 feet distance as others have with that setup. I ordered my upgrade parts and will be testing an alternative to the tplink antenna which will give me 8 vs 9db gain on 2.4 ghz. Mounting with the other antenna is simpler than the tplink alternative which you have to set up a custom bracket. I'll report back probably in a week or two with the results.

http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?pro ... 88&cat=269

If it wasn't 175.00 I would be P2V itself and hook it up to main power battery. Small and doesn't look like it would add too much weight.

I feel like adding amplifier to the P2V is where you would get the most gains but im not electrical engineer so I could be mistaken.

or this one(a little less expensive)
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wirel ... -800mw.php

This will give you the correct voltage:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/exrcub2liin. ... Qgod6j4AZw

Nice setup and thanks for the pic's. I like your use of the 2nd device holder to mount the TP-Link. Which 5.8 antenna did you use on the RC? Is it the one previously referred to in this thread?

Please let us know how it works out in terms of range.

Nice setup neils!!

Thanks to everyone else for the info and pics..

I also purchased the 14db Tplink but found it way to heavy for my TX with my mini Ipad for my FPV..

I mounted everything on a spare tripod I had using all gopro mounting accessories..

I mounted it up using the quick releases just in case in wanted to mount it all back on to the TX..

I still need to hook the lines up and do some testing..

Thanks again to everyone who is contributing to this thread..

Well, had a chance to try out the 9dBi TP-Link today. In rather windy overcast conditions I managed over 2100 ft distance at 560ft, very happy as I know its capable of more.I also hit 2000ft altitude on the same flight!

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 580
With TP Link 9 dbi wifi antenna and stock 5.8 controller. Got to 3200 ft away at 400 ft altitude today. No obstructions in between on a misty day. Started to lose wifi at 3200 ft but stock 5.8 controller worked fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 549
Venom93corba said:
Alexmia would this CloverLeaf ant work as well? I know its more expensive but I just like how I can point it in the direction i want possibly getting better range.

I think that will work just fine. FYI: the cheaper newer antennas I am using can be bent as well, if that is what you are looking for. Not sure though if that will make much of a difference.

Alexia, yeah that's what I was concerned with. I ended up ordering the antennas you have so I guess it doesn't matter, ha ha. Thanks for the reply though.

Fig Jam said:
Well done Cud! did you take a screen shot?

Mike

Unfortunately no screen shot. I was too caught up in the moment. Next time I will for sure.

Yet another method for attaching the 14dbi TPLink Antenna to the RC. Used a spring loaded hinge, available from any hardware store. Allows 90 degrees of travel.

However when I was installing the pigtail adapter for the antenna, I accidentally killed my wireless range extender - will have to order a new one! Oops! :(

Attachments

• IMG_20140106_210540.jpg
    IMG_20140106_210540.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_20140106_210621.jpg
    IMG_20140106_210621.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_20140106_210812.jpg
    IMG_20140106_210812.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 604
Primordial said:
Yet another method for attaching the 14dbi TPLink Antenna to the RC. Used a spring loaded hinge, available from any hardware store. Allows 90 degrees of travel.

However when I was installing the pigtail adapter for the antenna, I accidentally killed my wireless range extender - will have to order a new one! Oops! :(
Just outta curiosity how did you kill your range extender?

Just outta curiosity how did you kill your range extender?
Let me guess...

When he was drilling the hole for the pigtail adapter he did not take out the PCB and the drill bit "just" nipped one of the components on the PCB and the component snapped right off..

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5873

I've gone over to using a separate high powered repeater. Has the big advantage that you don't have to modify or dismantle anything, you can just use the supplied repeater or a high power one by powering up the one you want and selecting the standard or high power network on your phone / tablet.

Much easier. Getting 1.5km range from a £40 unit, that's before improving it's antennas.

Hi GPAUK, can you share your set up ? maybe some images? Did you boost the transmitter as well or just the 2.4 GHz wifi ?

gpauk,
Have you described and given links to the more powerful WiFi repeater that you refer go?
How do you power it?
Thanks, Gary

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT