More powerfull repeater?

Has anyone cracked open the camera yet? I don't recall seeing any posts or images on this, but i could have missed it. I am planning on doing that in the next couple of days and I'll post what I find (unless this is a duplicate).

szobell said:
Has anyone cracked open the camera yet? I don't recall seeing any posts or images on this, but i could have missed it. I am planning on doing that in the next couple of days and I'll post what I find (unless this is a duplicate).

I don't recall that either but it is next on the list to get more distance out of everything

Thanks to all for your contributions. I've decided to order the TP Link 9dBi and 14dBi antennas. Because I'll be using the Vision on a small boat, I thought it easier and more practical to attach the smaller 9dBi unit to the actual RC (without the added bulk and weight and don't need the added 14dBi range), and at other times, when more convenient and greater range needed, to use the 14dBi with a tripod. I suspect greater range with the 14dBi, but not always practical to carry.

My options are to 1) purchase a 2nd repeater, with each antenna mounted to it's own repeater, or 2), add a quick connect between the repeater and antenna so I can easily disconnect the repeater and swap out antennas depending on the day and use. I would obviously prefer to use just one repeater for many reasons, and actually, can't find any for sale that are not on back order.

I am reaching out for help with you tech guys. I suspect that the connect/disconnect between the repeater and antenna will degrade signal, but will it be significant? Should I try or is it absolutely not worth the effort? Can you suggest a connector that I can use.

Thanks for the suggestions.

szobell said:

Yes photos of the vision camera completely apart are floating around out there I've seen them. I personally wouldn't suggest tearing into such an expensive piece of kit should something go wrong. Just stick with replacing the wifi range extender antenna as everyone else has. At that point you'll be able to fly to the point that you probably won't be able to see it anymore.

Hi Guys... This is my first post and would like to say hello to everyone ;)

I am new to the vision and only took delivery a couple of weeks ago but I am not new to FPV.... I have been watching this thread with interest, seems a few fellow pilots are range hungry :) First flight with mine returned 1200ft 2.4ghz range at altitude of 200ft amsl 5.8ghz rc link was solid, seems i have a good one.. I am also going to have a play with directional antennas and will keep you posted... all it needs now is it to stop raining here in the uk :x

Here is my pic of my ground station, pushed it to six kilometers with solid link..

Best wishes to you all and a very happy new year..

Colin

Attachments

• 2013-07-24 19.16.31.jpg
    2013-07-24 19.16.31.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 479
I want to buy an extra wifi repeater and put an external ant on it like I've seen guys do on this forum to get better range. I want to mount it on a tripod with my iPad. I want to keep the other one mounted to my controller to use when I want to be more "portable". I know I can't use them at the same time but can I keep both of them configured the same so I don't have to bind them each time I switch between them. Thanks in advance for any help.

AirDoghouse said:
I want to buy an extra wifi repeater and put an external ant on it like I've seen guys do on this forum to get better range. I want to mount it on a tripod with my iPad. I want to keep the other one mounted to my controller to use when I want to be more "portable". I know I can't use them at the same time but can I keep both of them configured the same so I don't have to bind them each time I switch between them. Thanks in advance for any help.

No you would have to rebind every time. Here's a more portable option for you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM0 ... 9KAYIQOOLR

This antenna should give you pretty reasonable range gains over the stock repeater antenna. And is far more compact. And if you screw the adapter right into the side of the repeater as seen in other's post it makes for a simple compact solution to increasing the FPV Wifi range. The transmitter range should be good enough as is though you can mod that too. I

The picture does not match the description.
Do you have a link to additional information?

FPV col said:
Hi Guys... This is my first post and would like to say hello to everyone ;)

I am new to the vision and only took delivery a couple of weeks ago but I am not new to FPV.... I have been watching this thread with interest, seems a few fellow pilots are range hungry :) First flight with mine returned 1200ft 2.4ghz range at altitude of 200ft amsl 5.8ghz rc link was solid, seems i have a good one.. I am also going to have a play with directional antennas and will keep you posted... all it needs now is it to stop raining here in the uk :x

Here is my pic of my ground station, pushed it to six kilometers with solid link..

Best wishes to you all and a very happy new year..

Colin

Hi Colin,

Welcome and thanks for dropping in.
That seems like one heckuva setup you got there!
Did you say you've pushed your PV to 6km with those setup?

Can you break down the parts that you've used for it?

Hi Leos,

No this is my FPV setup that I use.. Its 5.8 video link using a 10 turn helical antenna on a myflydream tracker.. RC link is using an immersion LRS system on 433 MHz airframe is a 2.5m power glider.. Yes have been 6 km with this.. Just thought I'd show it as I like to play with different antenna's.

As for the PV I'm going to have a go with a couple of homemade 2.4 antennas and see how it works out..

colin

FPV col said:
Hi Leos,

No this is my FPV setup that I use.. Its 5.8 video link using a 10 turn helical antenna on a myflydream tracker.. RC link is using an immersion LRS system on 433 MHz airframe is a 2.5m power glider.. Yes have been 6 km with this.. Just thought I'd show it as I like to play with different antenna's.

As for the PV I'm going to have a go with a couple of homemade 2.4 antennas and see how it works out..

colin

Sounds like an awesome setup!
Looking forward to your P2V mods

alexmla said:
James Cole said:
Alexmia...

Could you share with us how did you installed the 5.8 ghz antenna?

Thanks!
JC

Sure JC!

I used this: amzn.to/19UBpTw
There are two in the package, one can be used for the TX modification, one for the repeater.

Fits right in, no soldering required.

soo i am newbe and a bit confuse, can i use antenas of 5ghz in the vision remote control (tx) and in the repeter? if it has more db, its better? if is necesarry change the tx stock antenna or just put and antenna on the repeter like i see in this post to get more distance and altitud? thank u

Still waiting on parts to upgrade my repeater but it was a clear day so i did a range test with stock setup. Took it up to 400m with decent video and lost control signal so failsafe kicked in. Pretty happy with the range but for those who have already upgraded the repeater have you had to upgrade the TX antenna too?

Thanks Noël, this is more based on Jason Lee's original work awhile back but which was a little difficult to follow. This spells it out pretty clearly step-by-step and is nicely illustrated. True, it's a brute force method & not exactly one government communications agencies likely approve of, but hey. I've gotten very good results with passive directional high-gain antennas out to 1500'-1800' but haven't completed the range tests yet due to schedule conflicts & bad weather. Others have reported flying out to 3200' feet w/stock control antenna & larger TP Link FPV antennas like Uncle Fester & Adam have tested. Keep in mind the Vision appears very small at 500' off, almost invisible at 1000' off, and ridiculously impossible to visually track in the sky at 1500' and beyond even with NAV beacons ablaze. And of course, manually piloting an RC aircraft by FPV w/o a visual fix by pilot or a spotter isn't generally recommended.

iDrone

BenDronePilot said:
AirDoghouse said:

No you would have to rebind every time. Here's a more portable option for you.. I

Noel was good enough to post a link to another forum which discussed the use of a router to replace the extender. This is an alternative to the antenna upgrade. Interestingly, the author discussed this exact issue of using a second repeater for swap depending on use. Apparently, the binding issue is a non issue. He commented as follows:

"I thought I'd mention something about using a second, spare, Range Extender. I was going to get a 2nd extender to modify it with big antennas etc. as others have done. I took the 2nd extender and found that I could bind it to the same Vision using the QR code from the Vision Shipping box (I keep a copy of this QR code in my carry case). The 2nd Extender shows up as a 2nd network on the iPad. So you can carry a spare extender and use one OR the other with no changes needed on the Vision, just connect to the which ever extender you need, each has a unique network name, easy"
------

After reading this, I've decided to purchase a second repeater, use one with a 9dBi TP-Link on the RC itself, and one and Adam's 14dBi setup on a tripod. Will confirm that it works once I receive the second repeater.

From comparing the router option, to the antenna upgrade discussed in this thread, it seems that while the router option doesn't require any wiring, it does not offer that the same range increases as the antenna. I guess you could add better antenna's to the routers as well, but that begs the issue as to how far is enough? Several here have noted that flying "out of sight" is probably inappropriate, but I am hopeful that the January Ground Station firmware update will permit us to fly beyond RC range. If so, we'll need the additional FPV range.

Finally, has anyone considered the following antenna for the RC TX.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerial-System...F8&qid=1388860317&sr=1-6&keywords=5.8+antenna

I have a spare skew-planar here that I am going to try on TX I will post results..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing