More powerfull repeater?

wow, this is really nice guys. now only if we can get this range w/ an antenna that doesn't need a mount of its own.

LeoS said:
Question: What preview quality do you guys use to test?

a). 640x480 15fps
b). 320x240 30fps
c). 320x240 15fps

I remember one one of the earlier interviews, Colin mentioned that using the lower bitrate video may increase the range.
i use 640x480 15fps to be honest i didint really notice any range difference using the lower settings even with the stock setup

ahtiram2725 said:
so if i am correct, you need these parts for this mod:

1. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT241 ... L-ANT2414A

Quantity 1 or 2?

2. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UW ... UTF8&psc=1

Quantity 1 or 2?

next we need photos or video of how these are connected for beginners like me :)

You are correct! you need ONE Antenna and ONE of the pigtails. The Antenna in the DJI extender is actually two antennas to help make up for its puny size. The mod most are doing only uses one of those. I suspect you can leave the other tiny antenna hooked up with no harm as it should choose the best signal. Just be careful and take your time, these are fragile parts but this is an easy modification.

The second link you posted (the pigtail adapter) is actually a 2-pack. So, you can find it cheaper if you just choose to do one.

I am running a dual antenna setup. However, I think I could have stuck with one and gotten plenty of range. There are two antenna ports, some connect one to a TP Link, and leave the other plugged in to the stock DJI antenna. I unplugged both and used two TP Link antennas and two pig tail adapters.

In looking at the Amazon Link, I see that they also have a 9dB antennae, which is half the size, weight and cost of the 14dB one. Being new to all of this, I assume your range would be less than with the 14dB antennae, but much better than stock? Any thoughts on if this would work, too? It looks like the 9dB might be mountable on the PV transmitter. Has anyone tried the 9dB antennae?

HollyFlier said:
In looking at the Amazon Link, I see that they also have a 9dB antennae, which is half the size, weight and cost of the 14dB one. Being new to all of this, I assume your range would be less than with the 14dB antennae, but much better than stock? Any thoughts on if this would work, too? It looks like the 9dB might be mountable on the PV transmitter. Has anyone tried the 9dB antennae?

Yes, I think you will get a much better range than stock using just one 9dbi antenna. The antennas in the dji repeater are tiny.

Uncle fester mounted a 14dbi on his transmitter, so it should be easy to mount the 9dbi. Try it and take photos and let us know your results!

Hey guys.. first an admission that I have not read every post in the 17 pages of this thread, so someone punch me if I am repeating something already covered... I can take it.

Second, I am so new to this that I am still in decision mode on what my first 'real' quad will be. I am leaning towards the new P2 with gimble, and then adding an FPV system to it, but haven't dismissed something like a 450 custom build.

So here is my question... why can I use two iOS devices to do FaceTime to do FPV? Sure it doesn't have telemetry etc, but even that can be covered by other tracking apps on iOS. So I could start a FaceTime on the phone attached to the P2 and watch it on my iPad mini or whatever, no? Then there is no limit to the distance I could go besides the TX...

I can't imagine this hasn't been covered somewhere, and there are likely good reasons it wouldn't work, but I don't understand them. I even think that with the amount of 3G, 4G, and LTE (US) why 2.4 radios are even still required for quads that are meant to go longer distances.

James.

uncle fester said:
LeoS said:
Question: What preview quality do you guys use to test?

a). 640x480 15fps
b). 320x240 30fps
c). 320x240 15fps

I remember one one of the earlier interviews, Colin mentioned that using the lower bitrate video may increase the range.
i use 640x480 15fps to be honest i didint really notice any range difference using the lower settings even with the stock setup

In terms of raw uncompressed data (b) is 2x of (c) and (a) is 4x of (c).
After compression, I think (a) is probably still 2x compared to (c).

I'll do some test later if possible, if I remember correctly there were occurence where the FPV video was dropped while the telemetry info still works. That would be the case when (c) can still show you image when (a) cannot.

TitanFlyer said:
Hey guys.. first an admission that I have not read every post in the 17 pages of this thread, so someone punch me if I am repeating something already covered... I can take it.

Second, I am so new to this that I am still in decision mode on what my first 'real' quad will be. I am leaning towards the new P2 with gimble, and then adding an FPV system to it, but haven't dismissed something like a 450 custom build.

So here is my question... why can I use two iOS devices to do FaceTime to do FPV? Sure it doesn't have telemetry etc, but even that can be covered by other tracking apps on iOS. So I could start a FaceTime on the phone attached to the P2 and watch it on my iPad mini or whatever, no? Then there is no limit to the distance I could go besides the TX...

I can't imagine this hasn't been covered somewhere, and there are likely good reasons it wouldn't work, but I don't understand them. I even think that with the amount of 3G, 4G, and LTE (US) why 2.4 radios are even still required for quads that are meant to go longer distances.

James.

James - can you strap an iPhone to your phantom and start a FaceTime call with another ios device? Of course you could. But unless you have unlimited data, it will eat up your data plan pretty quick. It also won't likely be as quick, there will be a slight delay in the video transmission. But it's possible, I say try it and let us know how it goes.

I consistantly fly stock 1200 to 1400 feet before I lose video signal. At this point that is far enough for just about anythi g I need to do. I thought I would want to go farther but with just wi-fi it is plenty. Have we determined what the average maximum distance is for all of us?

Jax Quad said:
I consistantly fly stock 1200 to 1400 feet before I lose video signal. At this point that is far enough for just about anythi g I need to do. I thought I would want to go farther but with just wi-fi it is plenty. Have we determined what the average maximum distance is for all of us?

I think you are doing much better than average Jax. For me, I usually lose video around 900ft, which I believe is what the P2V specs claim to support in a typical scenario. Are you in the country or city environment?

Adam said:
James - can you strap an iPhone to your phantom and start a FaceTime call with another ios device? Of course you could. But unless you have unlimited data, it will eat up your data plan pretty quick. It also won't likely be as quick, there will be a slight delay in the video transmission. But it's possible, I say try it and let us know how it goes.

FaceTime is using approximately three megabytes per minute. So, an hour long connection would involve around 180MB of data. I have a 10 GB plan, so could probably do it without denting my data too much. So thats not the reason (for me) not do it. The delay I didn't think about.. probably a good amount of delay that would disorient you with respect to the controls.

I might just try it when I get a quad, but I will likely spend a month or more playing with it in line of sight anyway, till I get good enough to try and venture out into FPV.

I usually fly in pretty open areas. I guess I should be happy with my range. I guess I got a setup with a little extra power or I just have the right flying conditions.

I forgot to mention that I get much better range now that I have learned how to position the antenna and repeater. The main antenna should be pointed straight up the sky and I keep the repeater pointed right at the phantom. Works like a charm.

Adam said:
The second link you posted (the pigtail adapter) is actually a 2-pack. So, you can find it cheaper if you just choose to do one.

I am running a dual antenna setup. However, I think I could have stuck with one and gotten plenty of range. There are two antenna ports, some connect one to a TP Link, and leave the other plugged in to the stock DJI antenna. I unplugged both and used two TP Link antennas and two pig tail adapters.

how is the TP link being powered? does it need an external battery or it has built in or something?

lastly I would like to know if you are at 2000 ft high can you still control the tilt of the camera and can you still trigger to take a pic? I guess its a silly question, but being a newbie i just want to confirm before i go and purchase the TP link and find out it doesnt do what i would like to do.....

ahtiram2725 said:
Adam said:

how is the TP link being powered? does it need an external battery or it has built in or something?

lastly I would like to know if you are at 2000 ft high can you still control the tilt of the camera and can you still trigger to take a pic? I guess its a silly question, but being a newbie i just want to confirm before i go and purchase the TP link and find out it doesnt do what i would like to do.....

The antenna needs no power source. I still have full control at 2000 ft, keep in mind I'm not flying 2000 ft high, but rather 2000 ft away from where I took off. I never fly more than 400 ft high due to US regulations.

i am in the middle east and here there are no restrictions... not yet anyways!!!

but how high do you think with the tplink the vision will go up to?

I basically want to go up to 2000 ft, using the ipad i would like the camera to look 90 degrees down...when it is in position, i should be able to trigger the shutter button on the ipad and i should be able to take a pic...

will the vision + tplink do what i want to do?

Inspired by Uncle Fester I've been quietly working on range extension as well. But my problem is the reverse, I lose the 5.8ghz Control Link way before video, even in FCC mode. Probably because I'm in a busy area full of RF & noise, so I'm considering adding a PA on the uplink as my WiFi link is fine esp after adding a 16dbi panel antenna. I'm testing an 11dbi panel antenna on the Control Link now which has improved range quit a bit, but I need to run more tests and I need to do them away from the RFI & EMI of local civilization.

gpauk said:
Just got my 1W 5.8GHz PA in... just need to box it up and hook to the tx... Hope to get it tested at the weekend...

@gpauk - Did you get a chance to test your PA this weekend or are you weathered-in (rain & drizzle) like some of us are today?

iDrone

ahtiram2725 said:
i am in the middle east and here there are no restrictions... not yet anyways!!!

but how high do you think with the tplink the vision will go up to?

I basically want to go up to 2000 ft, using the ipad i would like the camera to look 90 degrees down...when it is in position, i should be able to trigger the shutter button on the ipad and i should be able to take a pic...

will the vision + tplink do what i want to do?
yeap it will go ova 2000ft no problem

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z