More channels hack

So does that mean the "hack" is just a hoax and its mostly placebo effect going on here? Maybe it is only displayed in the app that you have 32 channels but not in the quad or remote controller FW and thats why it still uses the same 8 channels than before but just the app says 32?
But, I guess that is the control feed we see there.
Remember that we are only addressing the video feed with the hack.

Ok so we agree that your not getting any kind of boosted or added power but as posted, you are getting less congested channels that translates to added distance due to lower crowding of the existing stock channels. To all the engineers and analyze personnel, why is there no action on the upper channels 26-32? Are these channels as strong as the overlapping ones from 12-20 or so? And again my question is why would DJI have orig. had all of these channels working with better range at firm. 1.07 and then cut these channels out which coincided with numerous reports of signal loss and decreased distance? I get that "power" isn't increased with this hack but it is creating much less used frequencies that absolutely are translating into better distance and less drop outs.

Can't explain why they were active originally but the reason they are now gone is they were discovered to exceed the 2400-2500MHz ISM Band allotment.
Period.
End of story.

I believe another member, flynfrank, posted he heard that there were reports of interference from Amateurs (HAMs) and this is what precipitated the change.
HAMs are serious about spectrum, as they should be, and if true it is not surprising if they are/were in fact responsible for the changes.

Can someone just answer one question for me? Is channel 32 operating on a different frequency than the 8 stock channels offered by DJI?

It's NOT a hoax. Channel 30-32 are showing way less activity and get me notably further than any of the channels DJI is giving us stock. So unless my increased range is explained by some other unknown phenomena, these less crowded channels are in fact doing something.

Let's say we're at a Party in the Patio (a given channel or frequency) with 15 other people all having their conversations.
For me to talk to you I need to speak up so my voice is raised above the other simultaneous conversations (background noise) otherwise it is difficult for you to discern my words (bit error rate).
This is signal to noise ratio.
If I cannot raise my voice any higher (transmit power limit) then it will be difficult for us to communicate.
Now if we move say into the Kitchen (a different channel or frequency) with only one or two party goers the background noise is much less. If I speak to you with the same vocal level as with the Patio conversation (transmit power) my voice will SEEM much louder. We have increased the signal to noise ratio and the conversation will be easily understood as compared to the Patio.

Now to be a bit off topic, many systems, such as mobile or cell phone, adjust transmit power dynamically to reduce the noise floor making it easier for all to communicate at lower power levels thus saving battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: NRJ and Romonaga
The equipment is a Ubiquiti M2HP running the airView tool that is part of the M2HP.
https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/bulletm/bm_ds_web.pdf
is the current version BM2HP. As far as I can tell it's the same as what I used just newer.
That link has a section on the airView tool.

Ok I get that no17rw. So 2 questions. 1. Is channel 32 putting out the same amount of power, signal to noise etc. as the other channels DJI gives us in stock form? 2. Is channel 32 on a different frequency than the current stock 8 channels? Thanks.

Ok I get that no17rw. So 2 questions. 1. Is channel 32 putting out the same amount of power, signal to noise etc. as the other channels DJI gives us in stock form? 2. Is channel 32 on a different frequency than the current stock 8 channels? Thanks.
1. Probably the same amount of power.And, probably, more signal to noise (which is good).
2. Yes, channel 32 is not included in the current stock 8 channels.

Ok so to put an end to this once and for all......the added channels are indeed,giving us frequencies that are NOT found in the stock offering. While the have no additional power or transmission increase, they are in fact different frequencies (not getting into legality) that in situations where theres heavy traffic, can give us a clean, clear signal that can lead to increased range due to LESS competition for the given frequency. Now if what I said is true, then the added channels are beneficial to have for areas that are heavily populated with wifi activity. Again, legality aside.

Ok so to put an end to this once and for all......the added channels are indeed,giving us frequencies that are NOT found in the stock offering. While the have no additional power or transmission increase, they are in fact different frequencies (not getting into legality) that in situations where theres heavy traffic, can give us a clean, clear signal that can lead to increased range due to LESS competition for the given frequency. Now if what I said is true, then the added channels are beneficial to have for areas that are heavily populated with wifi activity. Again, legality aside.

All true.

OK... I did read the first several pages of this BOOK! It seems everyone has been saying taht this "hack" is not replacing any files or file structure. But on my iPad Air 2 connected to a window 10 system... when I try to add the file through Itunes it asked to confirm replacing a file. Im running ios 8.4 and DJI Go. What gives? Sorry if this was answered somewhere around page 18.. there is just too much fluff here to read it all.

Maybe we should change the name of this thread to read 'Channel Expansion Mod'.

Reactions: 43k and Tricky
Maybe we should change the name of this thread to read 'Channel Expansion Mod'.
Maybe we should post a sticky with a very condensed but informative set of info so folks don't have to read 25 pages of posts. ;-) This is maybe one of the best posts yet...

I have been using channels 9 or 10. Someone mentioned above that the antennas may be tuned for somewhere in the middle of the WiFi band (DJi channels 13 - 20).

So, operating just outside the congested WiFi band on either DJi channels 9,10, 21 or 22 would take best advantage of the antenna efficiency.

I have been using channels 9 or 10. Someone mentioned above that the antennas may be tuned for somewhere in the middle of the WiFi band (DJi channels 13 - 20).

So, operating just outside the congested WiFi band on either DJi channels 9,10, 21 or 22 would take best advantage of the antenna efficiency.
Stupid question. When selecting a custom channel basically you want to find any channel that shows the lowest value of "unstable" activity correct? Or do you want to find the highest level of "stable" value?

Stupid question. When selecting a custom channel basically you want to find any channel that shows the lowest value of "unstable" activity correct? Or do you want to find the highest level of "stable" value?

I think you find the channel where the white line is flat and lying close to or at the bottom of the scale.

That green 'Stable' means there is a something on that channel, but it is low enough in power to not cause too much interference, anyone agree?

Reactions: BenDronePilot

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures