More channels hack

Once you can see the file it's only a matter of dragging and dropping it in iTunes with your device connected. You click on the DJI app scroll down on the right side. then drag and drop the file there. It will ask you want to replace? Say yes and it's done.
Yeah. Didn't try that I guess. No matter though. Now I want to try with the new channels! If this gives me better performance I may never upgrade again.

Reactions: Milehighdesign
Yeah. Didn't try that I guess. No matter though. Now I want to try with the new channels! If this gives me better performance I may never upgrade again.
That's my thinking exactly! I have flown 5+ times now firmware 1.8.1, app 1.2.0 and 32 channels now. I have it set to channel 27. No more errors and great long range again. If it's not broke....

I am not sure but I think I have legal privileges a ways below and up to about 802.11 channel 8 or 9 and of course the standard 1-11.

@N017RW or @n6vmo have either if you guys did anything on 13 cm? I think its all modes except pulse or something

I am not sure but I think I have legal privileges a ways below and up to about 802.11 channel 8 or 9 and of course the standard 1-11.

@N017RW or @n6vmo have either if you guys did anything on 13 cm? I think its all modes except pulse or something

Years ago when I used to work the AMSAT AO-40 satellite. 13cm was the downlink freq.

Reactions: rrmccabe
No, not me.

2m, 70cm. only.

I tried this tonight for android and no-go.
I'm still on 1.2 pilot app and 1.2.6 FW
Downloaded the zip file to my pc, plugged in my android, unzipped (extracted) the file, copied the .dji.configs to: android/data/dji.pilot
Hidden files are unhidden
Under the dji.pilot root I see four folders; cache, debug, files & testdata.
I put the file into the root of dji.pilot next to the four files listed above and it shows up.
When I start the RC with P3 on, no difference, just the same 13-20 channels.
Go back and try again and the .dji.configs file is no longer there.
What am I doing wrong? Or do you need to be on DJI GO for this to work?

I tried this tonight for android and no-go.
I'm still on 1.2 pilot app and 1.2.6 FW
Downloaded the zip file to my pc, plugged in my android, unzipped (extracted) the file, copied the .dji.configs to: android/data/dji.pilot
Hidden files are unhidden
Under the dji.pilot root I see four folders; cache, debug, files & testdata.
I put the file into the root of dji.pilot next to the four files listed above and it shows up.
When I start the RC with P3 on, no difference, just the same 13-20 channels.
Go back and try again and the .dji.configs file is no longer there.
What am I doing wrong? Or do you need to be on DJI GO for this to work?
I don't have android, but the correct folder listed in the thread is: \Android\data\dji.pilot\files

Is that what you tried? Your post doesn't show the last folder (\files)

Reactions: JoBe and Colorado68
I ran my spectrum analyzer before I installed the channel hack and then afterwards. The hack does not change DJI channels 13 to 20, it just adds more channels above and below the original 8.

The channels are 8 mHz wide with 2mHz spacing. The center frequency of a DJI channel is Fc = 2286 + (channel# -1) *10
the lower frequency is Fl = 2282 + (channel# -1) *10
the upper frequency Fu = 2290 + (channel# -1) *10
E.g DJI channel 7 spans 2342 mHz to 2350 mHz, DJI channel 32 spans 2592 mHz to 2600 mHz

DJI channels 13 to 20 are coincident with the US WiFi channels 1 to 13.

DJI channels 21 to 32 occupy 2482 mHz to 2600 mHz and are above the US WiiFi channels. I assumed that since DJI removed channels 21 to 32 it was because it was illegal to use those frequencies in the US. But now I'm not so sure. https://transition.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/table/fcctable.pdf seems to indicate those frequencies are available for ISM use. It'd be good if others could interpret what that document says about those frequencies.
Great stuff, Bud, thanks! Clears up a lot of questions, and confirms the stories that dji had to restrict to be ccompliant with regs.

I don't have android, but the correct folder listed in the thread is: \Android\data\dji.pilot\files

Is that what you tried? Your post doesn't show the last folder (\files)

Right on man! Thanks, that did it.
must have missed that somewhere to put the file in the files folder (Doh!)
Anyhow, got them all. Sweet!

Thank you

Reactions: Oso

I'm looking at the ARRL Bands chart and it would seem that hams are legal on DJI channel 3 (2302-2310mHz) and DJI channel 12 (2392-2400mHz). That is, legal in the sense that we get to use those frequencies, but, do we have to send a call sign?

I ran my spectrum analyzer before I installed the channel hack and then afterwards. The hack does not change DJI channels 13 to 20, it just adds more channels above and below the original 8.

The channels are 8 mHz wide with 2mHz spacing. The center frequency of a DJI channel is Fc = 2286 + (channel# -1) *10
the lower frequency is Fl = 2282 + (channel# -1) *10
the upper frequency Fu = 2290 + (channel# -1) *10
E.g DJI channel 7 spans 2342 mHz to 2350 mHz, DJI channel 32 spans 2592 mHz to 2600 mHz

DJI channels 13 to 20 are coincident with the US WiFi channels 1 to 13.

DJI channels 21 to 32 occupy 2482 mHz to 2600 mHz and are above the US WiiFi channels. I assumed that since DJI removed channels 21 to 32 it was because it was illegal to use those frequencies in the US. But now I'm not so sure. https://transition.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/table/fcctable.pdf seems to indicate those frequencies are available for ISM use. It'd be good if others could interpret what that document says about those frequencies.

I missed this post earlier. I am assuming "
DJI channels 13 to 20 are coincident with the US WiFi channels 1 to 13." Might be better stated that they fall very close to WiFi channels 1-13 as they really don't start or stop on those channels.

Good info. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

I'm looking at the ARRL Bands chart and it would seem that hams are legal on DJI channel 3 (2302-2310mHz) and DJI channel 12 (2392-2400mHz). That is, legal in the sense that we get to use those frequencies, but, do we have to send a call sign?
Not sure on callsign. I remember on an old test about call on back of controller. But that was in 80s and I had no interest in rc so it did not stick with me :)

Edit. Just read this....

An amateur station transmitting signals to control a model craft may be operated as follows:

(a) The station identification procedure is not required for transmissions directed only to the model craft, provided that a label indicating the station call sign and the station licensee's name and address is affixed to the station transmitter.

(b) The control signals are not considered codes or ciphers intended to obscure the meaning of the communication.

(c) The transmitter power must not exceed 1 W.

[54 FR 25857, June 20, 1989, as amended at 56 FR 56171, Nov. 1, 1991]

By the rules you are still limited to 1W for telecommand under amateur radio rules. I would read the rule to limit power out from the transmit amplifier, so you would be free to increase EIRP by using high gain antennas.

You can also use 902-926Mhz under ISM rules and you are similarly limited to 1W power out, but the power out limit is reduced when you start adding antenna gain.

Nice refresher.

Based on Bud's SA analysis:
It may be HAMs could legally use the [hack's] below ISM freqs. but the upper freqs. above 2450MHz are beyond HAM allowances.

Put your call sign on your quad right below your FAA N#.

Nice refresher.

Based on Bud's SA analysis:
It may be HAMs could legally use the [hack's] below ISM freqs. but the upper freqs. above 2450MHz are beyond HAM allowances.

Put your call sign on your quad right below your FAA N#.
That is what I was afraid of - oh well, had a good couple of flights outside of the ISM freqs, but now back to midrange.

I think the callsign goes on the RC.
2015-08-10_18-28-02.png

OK, hmmm, the verbage is confusing at this point but the controller is not transmitting out of ISM band, it's the LB downlink and the rule only mentions 'station transmitter'. But hey it's all academic at his point so I'm gonna go with the flow.

73s

OK, hmmm, the verbage is confusing at this point but the controller is not transmitting out of ISM band, it's the LB downlink and the rule only mentions 'station transmitter'. But hey it's all academic at his point so I'm gonna go with the flow.

73s

This is true but when this verbiage came out the communication to the aircraft was much simpler :)

Who would have thought that there would have been quads with flight computers, GPS and full FPV !

The big thing was packet radio. LOL

This is true but when this verbiage came out the communication to the aircraft was much simpler :)

Who would have thought that there would have been quads with flight computers, GPS and full FPV !

The big thing was packet radio. LOL

True that!

Well they closed them for a reason. My guess is that it was DJI that pulled the plug because they either had to or because they were going to have to pay for more channels. Either way I made backup copied of the firmware and DJI go 2.0. I can live with this firmware and app if need be and forfeit future upgrades so long as I have all the channels.
Right on man! Thanks, that did it.
must have missed that somewhere to put the file in the files folder (Doh!)
Anyhow, got them all. Sweet!

Thank you

I'm on a rooted android and the .DJI.configs file is placed in the root of the /dji.pilot folder.

android/data/dji.pilot

At least you have it working. It's like having Christmas in August.
***********************************************************************************

There will more then likely be something put in place to eliminate the function of this mod. My theory is the faa has plans of some kind, and wants all drone's consistent in these areas.

So if you really like this mod and have the ability to work with code a little, you may want to prepare now for the necessary work-around. Or then again there will be other options to obtain at least similar performance. Add-on devices, antenna's, and more will be available. The antenna's and reflector mods are the only areas that have been touched on thus far.

Back to the 32 mod, I would just about guarantee the way this mod will be dealt with is, once you download or install whatever it is that gets put in place, there wont be any option to turn around without gaining access to the hidden SDcard that is held in with epoxy above the battery bay. And possibly the need to wipe everything to a fresh install.

Without any knowledge on what may or may not take place, a person has to rely on speculation, and how things have taken place in the past. In the meantime turn off those auto updates, and get out there and enjoy what you have, while you have it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4