Modem problems

Reaction score
I have Comcast internet and cable tv. My internet keeps going off for hours and then comes back on for maybe a day or so and then off again. My laptop is not using the wifi but is wired . I called Comcast and they had me give them the modem numbers. They said my modem is "old and broken". It is over 8 years old...Why would it work at all if "broken". I don't do anything fancy..no gaming ...no big damand. I just email, shop, facebook. Simple stuff. I even power cycle the modem and at times it might work but mostly not. It seems to normally go off in afternoon and last night was off all night. This morning it's back on and working by itself. Anyone have any knowledge on this. Tv is still working during these times. Thanks for any help.

I would update your modem. These devices do break down overtime, and you carrier could be using new updated protocols.. Also you may not be getting the top speed currently supported by the newer routers. I learned this years ago as well.. When I got my new modem, my speeds were MUCH higher! I say get a new modem.. It will only help out in the long run - eight years is a LONG time for a piece of tech.. You got your moneys worth out of it.

I would update your modem. These devices do break down overtime, and you carrier could be using new updated protocols.. Also you may not be getting the top speed currently supported by the newer routers. I learned this years ago as well.. When I got my new modem, my speeds were MUCH higher! I say get a new modem.. It will only help out in the long run - eight years is a LONG time for a piece of tech.. You got your moneys worth out of it.
Thanks for the reply. Turns out it's a 2005 modem. What do you thing about the router modem combo thing?

Thanks for the reply. Turns out it's a 2005 modem. What do you thing about the router modem combo thing?

I have one and it works great.. It has all the current wireless technology as well and it's lightning fast even compared to my old N type router.. You have to have a wireless card that supports the newer technologies as well (most phones and tablets have these techs eg. 5.8Ghz vs 2.4)..

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan