Mission Completed - Not

Reaction score
I searched for others who may have experienced this and the posts I saw either did not match exactly or there was no resolution so I will give this a go with hopefully more detail than what I've seen out there...

I was running this Litchi mission: Mission Hub - Litchi

I crashed early in this mission last week so I added a hundred feet to all waypoints. Well above the trees. I raised up to a point above the first waypoint, switched to F mode and loaded the mission. I made sure there were no spurious waypoints added and then hit go. It started flying. I had good video and data. The somewhere along the route (in the area of WPs 4,5,6 I think) the Litchi voice said "mission completed." Huh? But the distance away from me was still increasing. I was worried about a fly away, so I toggled P2 multiple times. The controller started beeping but it did not initiate RTH. I believe because I did not switch P1 back to P mode so the bird ignored it and stayed in waypoint mode. Then I got the disconnected status on the litchi app. I ran through the house to the porch on the other side to see if I could see or hear it. And then I heard it and it appeared overhead and headed toward the other side of the house where the home point was. It said elevation at 14ft which worried me but now I have to believe it was telling me 14 ft above the first waypoint and not the takeoff point. I ran to through the house again and it landed perfectly at the home point by itself.

When I looked at the healthydrones log ( HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters ), what appears to have happened is that it continued to fly normally along the route even though it said mission complete. But then it, at some point did initiate RTH. The CSV shows it switching into go home mode but I believe it is being reported at the wrong location. It is being reported as switching into Go Home when it was basically already home. I'm thinking that when I was traversing through my house there was no connection and it wasn't able to report that status till I got out onto the deck. My theory was also that it had switched to RTH after I was inside the house and it lost signal. But then again Litchi is not supposed to do that right? It's supposed to keep flying the mission (unless I switched P1 at some point back to S and I'm not recalling that in my panic ;). And the app was reporting disconnected before I went through the house. And I think it kept flying. I believe D,E,F data loss occurred while I was transiting through the house the first time possible. And G was when I was coming back through to the front.

Thoughts? Why would is report "mission completed" so early in the mission, yet keep flying the mission. Until it made the sharp left to come back home, it was right where it should have been. And I am pretty sure that it did not start RTH when I toggled S2. Because it seemed to take a lot longer to some home than it should have.

Bill

Edit: looked at the video. It flew further than those lines indicate. I guess to be expected since healthy drones data comes from the app on the iPhone which lost connection. Still don't know why it reported mission completed but was on course and still flying.

Last edited:
So I'm just learning Litchi what does interpolate mean?

I learned a lot from this thread, If you haven't browsed it, you should.
Litchi Mission Lost Phantom

Upload your flight, to @msinger 's viewer, then post the url back here.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Yes the data you upload comes from the mobile so there will be holes in it were you lost incoming data.

There is a log on the drone, (Black Box sd card), but I have never converted it.

Rod

So I'm just learning Litchi what does interpolate mean?

I learned a lot from this thread, If you haven't browsed it, you should.
Litchi Mission Lost Phantom

Upload your flight, to @msinger 's viewer, then post the url back here.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Yes the data you upload comes from the mobile so there will be holes in it were you lost incoming data.

There is a log on the drone, (Black Box sd card), but I have never converted it.

Rod
Thanx. I've been all over that thread. ;)

Interpolate is a way for litchi to take a gimbal angle at one waypoint and a gimbal angle at the next and "fill in the blanks" with intermediate angles to yield a smooth continuous gimbal angle transition from one WP to the next. I believe you have to click the focus poi button first to set that WP Angle then click the interpolate. Do that at every WP. That's the theory. But I'm having issues with it being good with the gimbal angles at all times. Seems to aim high. Esp when close to the poi. I also see some gimbal jumps every so often. I just viewed with captions and noted the lat/Lon of the gimbal jumps so I can see if they correlate with any WP. But this is probably for another thread.

I now understand,
I have just mostly been practicing on the hub, trying to make sure I don't clip a tree. I have only flew about three missions so far.

Rod

Does the video show a completed mission (Did it go through all the way points)?

Rod

Does the video show a completed mission (Did it go through all the way points)? No. It returned to home like I said it did. Just not exactly at the spot where healthy drones shows it.

Rod

No. It returned to home like I said. Just not exactly where healthy drones said it did.

I now understand,
I have just mostly been practicing on the hub, trying to make sure I don't clip a tree. I have only flew about three missions so far.

Rod
I don't know if you saw my post from the other day where I clipped the top of a tree flying an automated mission (flying backwards). As I am sure you know, Litchi will not show you tree height. Only terrain height. I knew this but I still clipped a tree. They are higher than you think :). I should have followed the advice I've seen here: start with waypoint altitudes much higher than you think you need. You can always finetune them downwards on subsequent missions. I added a hundred feet to my crashed mission altitudes and reflew the mission. Except for the problem stated above, it ran fine the next time I tried. Turns out it was a good height for my project anyhow So I am going to leave it that way and rerun it when I get better lighting for video.

I have more info on this problem as it has happened again and I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has experienced this.

Most of the way through a 1.2 mile 5 minute mission I heard the "Mission Ended" callout from Litchi. Yet it kept flying the mission (except it was no longer controlling gimbal angle even though the RC was not disconnected from the AC). When I looked at the screen recording and then the log files I noticed that the RC to AC signal strength had a brief but precipitous drop to about 8% from somewhere in the 70s I think; then it came back up to strong signal. There was no disconnected message., This coincides with the "Mission Ended" callout from the Litchi app. From that point on it was flying the waypoints fine but not adjusting gimbal angles. Healthy drones does not report any warnings or anything at that location although it does report weak signal at an earlier point in the mission where it was kinda far away. I didn't think that Litchi was supposed to behave this way. The spurious "mission ended" callout is a bit unnerving but the practical issue is the loss of gimbal control. Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

Here are some relevant bits of evidence:

Phantom Log Viewer Link: Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Healthy Drones Link: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Screen Recording of the relevant part of the flight (with audible callout):

Last edited:
Have you tried planing a path on Google Earth then importing it to Litchi Hub .The Hub is a bit different to the app as well . I have found that once I am use to this system I'm not confident planing a mission without the GE elevations as a guide .
I have only three or four missions completed due to extreme hot dry winds so I'm still learning and cautious .I have only flown out of range once and my Standard seemed to behave as it should it RTH at the end of mission .I was getting really choppy video with a screen recorder running so I stopped that (android) .
So if the mission did end when halfway through would the app actually tell you where the AC was since if there was no link between the RC/app and the AC ?

Have used Google Earth to plot a mission at set ground height to follow terrain and all seems well when imported into litchi. The one thing I have learned is start high and tune down but best lesson learned is a bit or recon before loading the mission - fly to high trees measure height by flying up and then alter course or height accordingly

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Have you found when plotting a path on GE that sometimes the line between two points is not continuous or segmented meaning That the ground is higher in between than the set height ? I think .
I read somewhere that the ground elevation is an average of 30m around that point so a cliff face will not show as such in a profile because it's averaged from the edge to the bottom

Have you found when plotting a path on GE that sometimes the line between two points is not continuous or segmented meaning That the ground is higher in between than the set height ? I think .
I read somewhere that the ground elevation is an average of 30m around that point so a cliff face will not show as such in a profile because it's averaged from the edge to the bottom
Folks, this has nothing to do with my original thread.

I am not following terrain, I'm not getting disconnected. The mission continues to fly. I'm not hitting trees.

If anyone had any input on my issue I would appreciate it. Otherwise how do I contact Litchi Support. Is it only their FB page?

Thanks!

Ok sorry bit off the topic .It seems the app is behaving a bit strangely
Looks like you you will have to contact them or find someone here that has a lot more experience with Litchi

I have more info on this problem as it has happened again and I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has experienced this.

Most of the way through a 1.2 mile 5 minute mission I heard the "Mission Ended" callout from Litchi. Yet it kept flying the mission (except it was no longer controlling gimbal angle even though the RC was not disconnected from the AC). When I looked at the screen recording and then the log files I noticed that the RC to AC signal strength had a brief but precipitous drop to about 8% from somewhere in the 70s I think; then it came back up to strong signal. There was no disconnected message., This coincides with the "Mission Ended" callout from the Litchi app. From that point on it was flying the waypoints fine but not adjusting gimbal angles. Healthy drones does not report any warnings or anything at that location although it does report weak signal at an earlier point in the mission where it was kinda far away. I didn't think that Litchi was supposed to behave this way. The spurious "mission ended" callout is a bit unnerving but the practical issue is the loss of gimbal control. Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

Here are some relevant bits of evidence:

Phantom Log Viewer Link: Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Healthy Drones Link: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Screen Recording of the relevant part of the flight (with audible callout):
Could you upload / share your mission?

I would think somebody else would chime in.

@jiggyb21
or
@GhostRdrTat

I don't have any experience, and the only one that is trying to help. :rolleyes:

Rod

So was it at 6 min 5 secs when you got the message "mission ended"?

Rod

@bsartist

Nobody wants to help you out?

Rod

As I understand it, Litchi announces "mission ended" when it loses RC signal, but it continues the programmed mission. However, in order for the gimbal to operate, it must be in contact with the RC. If you fly out of range of the RC on a mission, the gimbal will remain at the angle it was at when it lost RC signal. When it regains RC signal on the way home, the gimbal will again respond. At least that has been my experience. When I fly short Litchi missions within RC range, the gimbal operates as expected.

Reactions: Matt2516 and RodPad
@Smurdley
Thanks Man!
If you are correct, is this in the manual or documentation and that's why others are ignoring answering in this thread? :rolleyes:

Rod

I asked Litchi support about gimbal operation and they said that the AC must be in contact with the RC (and the app) to be able to control the gimbal.

Reactions: RodPad

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl