Mid-Flight Changes to Litchi Waypoint Missions

Hi Pharm,

Thanks for writing. I do have a sense of humor and see far to many people taking themselves way to seriously. So go ahead and "jerk my chain". As I have always told my reports, that good natured teasing is the sincerest from of endearment.

In any case, I am a Realtor (but my background is chemical engineering and site management) and long time photographer. The principle use of my Phantom 4 Pro is to generate great exterior video for my clients. And while I take the time to plan the shots in advance, I am having a difficult time perfectly framing things from the information contained in the map. Litchi is good in that I am able to make smooth multiple flight axis adjustments--something I could never do with the joysticks/gimbal wheel. Most likely I need more experience. In the mean time, I am going to be toggling away on the A/S/P switch in pursuit of the perfect video clip.

Don Barar

Don, you might want to try multiple short flights, then edit them together to get the total video. One longer video is usually less visually stimulating for the viewer than one with multiple clips in one video (crossfades between each "shot" - each "shot" lasting from 5-10 seconds).

As an example, watch the videos on HGTV, etc., when they're showcasing a house. It's always multiple shots. Same reason you rarely see a single camera view of a scene that lasts very long in a movie. The camera always switches to a different viewpoint several times in the same scene.

I shoot a lot of stock video (without a drone). Most shots are 20 seconds or less and the average buyer only uses 3-6 seconds of that.

Hi Pharm,

That is exactly what I am doing. I am attempting to shoot short clips that eventually will be no more than 6 seconds long. If I shot on flat terrain with zero background--no problem. But I shoot mostly in Fountain Hills, AZ where the homes are built on sides/tops of hills, adjacent to arroyos, and distant mountains. By the nature of the community, framing is tough requiring proper location of the aircraft, relative to the height of the POI, relative to what I want incorporated in the background. This is why I am getting half way through a clip intended to being no longer than 6 seconds, saying to myself "not what I want", aborting the mission (toggling the A/S/P), adjusting the waypoints/POI, and starting over.

What I need more experience "seeing" the eventual framing from the map to set-up the waypoints and POI in advance.

Don Barar

You could also use Focus which is a POI on the Fly

btw,
on the phantom 4 remote, does the "PAUSE" button works on a litchi waypoint mission?

Un-planned RTH and lack of RTH in Litchi for P3S IOS.

I was flying a LITCHI Waypoint Mission (P3S, IOS all with latest firmware as of 8/0717) with a ton of waypoints (48) and POIs (30) fairly low (90') around a school complex, the far end of the mission about 1100' from home point. I tried to walk to one side of the long axis outbound to keep the bird in sight, the walk back to the other side to watch it return down the other long axis. I fly this site alot because during summer nobody there and open fields all around. I usually lose video if out past 800' feet or so but too low behind buildings for good LOS. Have flown a least a dozen Litchi missions here and expect to lose visual if too far and too low behind something but usually don't lose controller.
I have lost controller for several seconds but have just waited a little a got control back, then video while the craft came around to finish mission.

Today, at the far end of the oval outbound, I had miscalculated the altitude needed to keep a good signal, did NOT lose video signal but suddenly got a RTH message and the craft scooted directly back to home at the last programmed altitude of 90', right down the middle of the long axis of the schools roofs. I have 120' programmed into DJIGo for RTH. I was trying to get some good low angle shots around the structure for Dronedeploy. I got a great first 3D object from Dronedeploy but wanted to get a little better detail of the east wall windows, etc. which were in shade for the first data set.

OK fine. No problem. Unplanned RTH but got home OK, thanks to no objects between RTH point and home. Never lost video. Do not know what caused RTH.
Next question. I walked a few hundred feet to the west to get a un-obstructed few of the west side of the structures for the return part of the loop but could not figure out how to tell Litchi to start a mission at a waypoint other than number 1. Dronedeploy lets you stop in the middle of a mission, come home, change battery, go back and resume at any waypoint. Is there any way to do that in Litchi other than deleting all of the waypoints already flown?

Next problem. I programmed the 'action' in straight waypoint passing (no curves) and programmed at wp #1 to 1 Stop Recording, 2 Take Photo. Every other waypoint was programmed in action to 'Take Photo'. I had time, batteries, and good diffuse light so I ran it 3 times. When I got home, much to my disappointment, all three missions were Videos from takeoff to landing with no photos. I re-checked the waypoint plan and it had, 'Stop Recording' at waypoint 1, the 'Take Photo'. All other Waypoints had 'Take Photo' actions. No curves. All straight legs. I need smart photos with lat/lon data to use in Dronedeploy. I can't get them from video frames. All the POI angles, etc worked fine. Just in video instead of photo at each waypoint as programmed.

I am already a little afraid of Litchi for IOS as there is no FPV screen RTH button, toggling the P3S S2 manual return to home switch does nothing with S1 in P or F, auto return to home triggers directly back to home point at whatever altitude was at at auto return trigger. All make Litchi for IOS too risky for me to trust other than in very close wide open line of sight (and sound). I don't have an Android capable enough for Litchi.
I like Litchi a lot, but I just don't trust it. I can't understand why the IOS version lacks so many features standard on Androids.

I don't trust Android hardware, don't want to buy to known trusted Androids, and don't trust the Litchi software of IOS.

I just bought and downloaded Autopilot for my iPhone/IPad. Back to studying again. That's $90 so for looking for a good autopilot program.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Marvin 'Headwind' Hesket

Wondering if the smartRTH kicked in if you were not flying with a fully charged battery? I've had that occasionally on iOS with my P4 so I now just leave it switched off if I am confident of finishing the mission with a full battery.
I've never had to pause a flight, change a battery and resume a mission as I limit my trips to 10-12 mins with occasional 18 mins when I'm feeling adventurous.
As for your flying a mission with video streaming instead of WP actions, in my case the video starts straight away and if I haven't noticed the recording timer or have the volume turned down, I'm in the same boat. I have to manually switch it off or configure the auto record to off in the Litchi settings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl