Mid-Flight Changes to Litchi Waypoint Missions

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the process of learning the Litchi application. I was flying a waypoint mission today. Halfway through the mission I realized that I did not like how the video was turning out. I paused the mission and attempted to make changes to the waypoints and POI from my iPad. I could not make any changes. So, I decided to complete the mission. After the mission was completed, I then was able to go into the app and make changes to the mission. Am I doing something wrong? Or, is this the way this app works.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Don Barar

Well I have never tried that, I would no doubt attemp it and plunge the drone into the ground with an incorrect WP height or similar. Given that the mission is saved to the drone once loaded, I guess you would have to pause the flight, reopen the original mission, make the changes, save it as new mission, bring the drone back to roughly where your first WP is and try reloading it.

Hi T,

I do not see what I am seeking to do as being any different (or any more hazardous) than building a waypoint mission on the iPad that I am using the fly the aircraft.

Let me put my request another way and see if anyone else can add their thoughts.

What I am seeking to do after a mission has begun is the following:
  1. Pause and abort the mission.
  2. Make changes to waypoints/POI.
  3. Re-upload the mission to the aircraft.
  4. Fly the mission from the beginning.
Currently, it appears as though I can only make changes to a mission after it has already been completed. Seems like a waste of battery time.

Don Barar

Correct. changes other than pausing/pulling right stick back for path reversal can only be done after. The only thing you could do mid-flight is cancel mission and quickly tap out changes from that point onward and start changed mission from that point, not restart from beginning.

Reactions: bsartist
Hi T,

I do not see what I am seeking to do as being any different (or any more hazardous) than building a waypoint mission on the iPad that I am using the fly the aircraft.

Let me put my request another way and see if anyone else can add their thoughts.

What I am seeking to do after a mission has begun is the following:
  1. Pause and abort the mission.
  2. Make changes to waypoints/POI.
  3. Re-upload the mission to the aircraft.
  4. Fly the mission from the beginning.
Currently, it appears as though I can only make changes to a mission after it has already been completed. Seems like a waste of battery time.

Don Barar
I can see what you are trying to do and I have certainly aborted missions and loaded new ones on the fly with no problems but have never stopped and modified an existing one. Maybe cancel a mission, switch to FPV and let it hover, back to WP, open up the mission you want to change, modify, save it, open it up and load it again. I have a feeling that once the existing mission is loaded onto the drone, it has to complete it (hence the ability to keep flying the mission even if signal is lost).
We will see if someone clever can chime in.

One thing could be done. Cancel the mission at the point you want changes, quickly delete previous way points, modify mission from that point you are at, start, save (With different name if wanted) and start modified mission from the current point.

Reactions: Pharm
Understood that toggling the P/S/A switch cancels the mission. Do you know if there is command from the Litchi app to cancel the mission?
Toggling the toggling the switch will give you the prompt 'mission ended' from the Litchi app and the drone will sit and hover.

Hi T et. al.

From the manual:

"Stopping a mission
Stopping a mission can be done by switching the RC switch from "F" to "P". With the Mavic/Phantom 4/Inspire 2, stopping the mission can be done by switching the RC from "P" to "S" (Sport) mode."

Seems odd that we have to use a mechanical switch to cancel the mission. Why? Mechanical switches are OK as a back-up. But mechanical switches fail. If it fails in Atti or Sport mode then it could have disastrous consequences. And the more that switch is used the more likely it is to fail. Software is more reliable.

Sorry for the rant. My opinion on the topic.

Don Barar

Hi T et. al.

From the manual:

Stopping a mission
Stopping a mission can be done by switching the RC switch from "F" to "P". With the Mavic/Phantom 4/Inspire 2, stopping the mission can be done by switching the RC from "P" to "S" (Sport) mode.

Seems odd that we have to use a mechanical switch to cancel the mission. Why? Mechanical switches are OK as a back-up. But mechanical switches fail. If it fails in Atti or Sport mode then it could have disastrous consequences. And the more that switch is used the more likely it is to fail. Software is more reliable.

Sorry of the rant. My opinion on the topic.

Don Barar
I suspect that DJI has tested these switches to operate a couple of thousand times before sticking them on the market. As for failure in any of the switch modes, I fly in them in all the time and have no issues with them. There is always RTH if people are not comfortable with free flying.
FWIW I have more faith in the hardware of the DJI product than their software and certainly third party apps that are routinely updated.

Software induced cancel: switch from waypoint mode to FPV mode. (Upper left)

Reactions: tevek
Hi T and G:

Here are my findings:
  • Toggling the A/S/P switch will abort the mission.
  • Switching to FPV clears the screen of the mission, but does not abort the mission. Mission continues.
  • Switching to FPV and then selecting "land" from the display aborts the mission.
  • Selecting the Return to Home on the R/C aborts the mission.
Don Barar

I believe pausing the mission then switching to fpv mode will clear the mission with the aircraft still in the air no need to land it

HI G,

Not an option I considered. But from what I saw, going to FPV defeats the purpose of what I wanted to do. By going FPV, it looks like I loose my waypoints/POI so I can not make changes to rerun the mission. I will have to play with a some of these options tomorrow to see what works best.

Don

Try this run your mission pause it at the point you want to change then change to fpv mode change back to mission mode open that mission delete previous waypoints to your position making your current position Waypoint 1 make changes desired save with a different name Run mission from your current position

Hi T et. al.

From the manual:

"Stopping a mission
Stopping a mission can be done by switching the RC switch from "F" to "P". With the Mavic/Phantom 4/Inspire 2, stopping the mission can be done by switching the RC from "P" to "S" (Sport) mode."

Sorry for the rant. My opinion on the topic.
Really? If you hadn't noticed your RC is loaded with mechanical parts that move (sticks, buttons, wheels, antenna), and it's the primary control for your craft. The craft can be controlled by the RC without the iPad/Android tablet. It's specially made so that when the "SOFTWARE" application locks up (which happens more often than an RC messing up), the RC is your reliable backup. Please consider, if you're that paranoid about the RC's electro-mechanical parts, you may have the wrong hobby. :rolleyes: My experience indicate the RC with all of it's mechanical parts is way more reliable than the tablet, OS, and flight app from anyone.

Reactions: SkyHog and tevek
Really? If you hadn't noticed your RC is loaded with mechanical parts that move (sticks, buttons, wheels, antenna), and it's the primary control for your craft. The craft can be controlled by the RC without the iPad/Android tablet. It's specially made so that when the "SOFTWARE" application locks up (which happens more often than an RC messing up), the RC is your reliable backup. Please consider, if you're that paranoid about the RC's electro-mechanical parts, you may have the wrong hobby. :rolleyes: My experience indicate the RC with all of it's mechanical parts is way more reliable than the tablet, OS, and flight app from anyone.
Agreed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic