Metal Props

LOL - I didn't ask for their opinion, I only asked if there was a source. I'm not saying what I'm doing is right or wrong - it is the overweening need of the most of the thread to provide their own sanctimonious input.

I really only see one person being sanctimonious in this thread.

Problem is "Porktree" ..... it is usual that a question such as "Where can I get ......" means the person is intending to use said item.

Therefore it is fair that replies may contain pros and cons of the use.

On the subject of Metal Props ..... I dare to suggest that a trip to ANY RC flight meeting will NOT have any model there with Metal Props for actual flight use. Maybe that fact speaks louder than any post here ?

Nigel

Any one have a line on metal replacement props? Something that would cut through taller grass on landing?

Can't use them, even if you could find them. AMA forbids them on Airplanes and Helicopters, TOO DANGEROUS! Having 4 metal blades on a Quad, WOW, hell of a meat grinder. Can you imagine one metal blade coming off and flying who knows where?? Stick with the plastic blades, allot cheaper and while dangerous, usually shatter on impact, reducing risk of damage to property and people.

Can't use them, even if you could find them. AMA forbids them on Airplanes and Helicopters, TOO DANGEROUS! Having 4 metal blades on a Quad, WOW, hell of a meat grinder. Can you imagine one metal blade coming off and flying who knows where?? Stick with the plastic blades, allot cheaper and while dangerous, usually shatter on impact, reducing risk of damage to property and people.

The only idea that I've heard worse than metal props was the other tenuous that says its a good idea to add more copper foil in top of phantom to improve satellite count. Let me just address the copper genius 1st. Copper Is the 2nd BEST product you can use to BLOCK RADIO AND SATELLITE WAVES! That's correct I said BLOCK. I have a science degree in metals So I kinda know what I'm talking about. I have a 3DR Solo that had no reception and ended freaking out and malfunctioning and destroying itself. When I opened it up I found a nice copper foil blocking the GPS. This ended up being a recall for 3dr. Origionally their plan was to block reception so u had to pay for the upgrade mod. Ended up destroying thousands of drones and countless fingers cut off. The only thing better to block your GPS would be to line your phantom with lead sheets. Wanna increase your gps, try removing all copper foil and watch How awesome your reception becomes.
I only have a little to say about metal props. 1st u have to use something super lite like Manganese, inconel or Titanium. Good luck procuring them. U could make them really easily. Or I can make you some at a descent price. Somewhere around $200-$400 for a set. But like everyone said, watch out. Hopefully your not one of those losers that can't land so they hover at 6' and reach up and grab their drone. Not only will you het hurt when the prop gets u...cause it will het u. Count on a full dismemberment. That's right. At 14,000-20,000 rpm, count on it removing an arm or head. Like butter. You'd be better off mowing your **** lawn. Try 1st putting your hand inside the nearest blender then fire drone off with your metal props and remove your other hand. Then write us all back so we can see how long the healing process takes..but I will most definitely make u some still serious. I will.

Wow ! Some do get really wound up over this !

There are plenty of alloys that could the props could be made from - without need for exotics. Dural for example. But its still a very bad idea.

Why would choice of prop make hand catching not work ?

Example of prop capability ..... I was test running a motor with typical 10x6 APC composite prop on a work bench. One blade let go and sliced into the bench edge .... it sliced in so hard - I could not remove by hand. I had to prise it out.

That 'slot' in bench edge is a reminder of what we are playing with.

Nigel

Any one have a line on metal replacement props? Something that would cut through taller grass on landing?
As others have pointed out, you will be better served over time with hand catching or a pad. If the tall grass you mention is in a random location away from your home position (no pad there, no hand-catch opportunity, just tall grass) I'd suggest you just use a lightweight gimbal guard to protect the camera assembly and not worry too much about the grass harming your blades (the stock blades - and certainly carbon fiber blades - will usually win that contest). Metal - even lightweight aluminum - is inadvisable mainly because you need something that will absorb at least a little energy or even break off for safety reasons.

If you are making a habit of landing in tall grass some distance away, just substitute carbon but be prepared for some p****ed off grasshoppers bees and butterflies...those that are not massacred. The dead ones will not have the guts to get in the way anymore.

Carbon Fiber are the next best thing and they can cut a finger off in a heartbeat if your not careful.

Hopefully your not one of those losers that can't land so they hover at 6' and reach up and grab their drone.
How about you take a break and let the rest of us "losers" land the way we prefer. You can't handle the hand catch method? ... leave it be. The "losers" you speak of don't hand catch because of an inability to land the way you prefer, it's because they can.

I don't understand this insistence on hand catching .... I can do it - but don't see point unless really necessary. It is safer to land out properly. You would only need a silly move or glitch - and that's a hand meets prop or even worse.

Those that try to convince others to hand catch in my opinion are wrong to insist .... advise to learn is fine and agreed for those needed occasions ....

Nigel

I don't understand this insistence on hand catching .... I can do it - but don't see point unless really necessary. It is safer to land out properly. You would only need a silly move or glitch - and that's a hand meets prop or even worse.

Those that try to convince others to hand catch in my opinion are wrong to insist .... advise to learn is fine and agreed for those needed occasions ....

Nigel
I understand your opinion but,
Who's insisting? Who's convincing? You seem to be the one "insisting" and "convincing" on how to land. Those that hand catch or land "properly" do so out of choice. My response was to the posters "insistence" that we're "losers" to try and hand catch. If it's not your thing... go ahead and land "properly". The hand catcher's more than likely will not be "insisting" that you're a "loser". Sorry, for the momentary off topic.

Stones ... Where do I INSIST not to hand catch ?? I will not stand by and be accused of something not true.
But there are many examples of posts telling people to hand catch ... it may not be Insisting but its darned well near enough ...

There is a place for hand catching and many instances where it is unnecessary. Simple. I just don't know why some are so insistent on it ... what is it ? A Macho Man thing ??

Nigel

I'll sit nicely on the fence chuckling away to myself.

Although you could combine an RC car chassis with a different frequency on the landing gear so after landing you could cut said grass ;-P

Reactions: BigAl07
Well there's a few minutes of my life I'm not getting back...
By far the single best post in this whole thread LOL

For those who say "hand catching" is such a bad idea.... not all of us are flying from perfectly level, clean, debris free, dust free, grass free, rock free (get my drift here) areas. Also I have to say that over the roughly 606 flights I have on this single drone I'd estimate that around 550+ of them are hand catch with not a single incident. It's quicker, cleaner, doesn't kick up a dust storm, protects the camera and gimbal, and keeps the aircraft away from Terra Firma.

We actually teach our students the safe and proper way to hand catch because you may not have an ideal or safe landing area every time you land and you need more options in your tool bag than simply forcing a bad landing situation.

The only idea that I've heard worse than metal props was the other tenuous that says its a good idea to add more copper foil in top of phantom to improve satellite count. Let me just address the copper genius 1st. Copper Is the 2nd BEST product you can use to BLOCK RADIO AND SATELLITE WAVES! That's correct I said BLOCK. I have a science degree in metals So I kinda know what I'm talking about. I have a 3DR Solo that had no reception and ended freaking out and malfunctioning and destroying itself. When I opened it up I found a nice copper foil blocking the GPS. This ended up being a recall for 3dr. Origionally their plan was to block reception so u had to pay for the upgrade mod. Ended up destroying thousands of drones and countless fingers cut off. The only thing better to block your GPS would be to line your phantom with lead sheets. Wanna increase your gps, try removing all copper foil and watch How awesome your reception becomes.

It's possible the "Copper Sheeting" was to be used to shield some other sensitive part of the UAS. I know for a fact it's highly suggested to line the BOTTOM of the inside of a Blade 350 QX2 (and QX3 and maybe even QX1) with copper foil. This kept the read-write operation of the CGO1 camera from affecting the GPS sensor inside the aircraft.

.....Hopefully your not one of those losers that can't land so they hover at 6' and reach up and grab their drone. Not only will you het hurt when the prop gets u...cause it will het u. Count on a full dismemberment. That's right. At 14,000-20,000 rpm, count on it removing an arm or head. Like butter. You'd be better off mowing your **** lawn. Try 1st putting your hand inside the nearest blender then fire drone off with your metal props and remove your other hand. Then write us all back so we can see how long the healing process takes..but I will most definitely make u some still serious. I will.

Dramatic much?

By far the single best post in this whole thread LOL

For those who say "hand catching" is such a bad idea.... not all of us are flying from perfectly level, clean, debris free, dust free, grass free, rock free (get my drift here) areas. Also I have to say that over the roughly 606 flights I have on this single drone I'd estimate that around 550+ of them are hand catch with not a single incident. It's quicker, cleaner, doesn't kick up a dust storm, protects the camera and gimbal, and keeps the aircraft away from Terra Firma.

We actually teach our students the safe and proper way to hand catch because you may not have an ideal or safe landing area every time you land and you need more options in your tool bag than simply forcing a bad landing situation.

This is where it gets misdirection ..... very few actually say its a bad idea but yes I have questioned its safety aspect compared to person being at distance from props during a landing. A damaged camera is far better than a faceful of props from a failed hand catch ... because if that hand catch fails does not STOP that model for the 2 - 3s necessary - the props DO NOT STOP.

I fully appreciate that there are occasions where hand catch is suitable. Who ever said it wasn't ?

I can remember a few times remarking not only for these models but also for fixed wing models - that hand catching is not something to casually throw to new pilots who may not have the skills to hand catch properly. I've been catching various models for years given the circumstances but still regard a safer way is to land out properly without getting within what is termed the 'danger circle'.

I make no apology for regarding a safe zone around any prop - having seen the injuries caused by even the smallest simplest error.

Teaching to hand catch is fine as part of an overall scheme and with suitable information / advice on what can go wrong. But without that teaching - where some here and other forums are just casually saying to obviously inexperienced pilots to go out and hand catch is in my opinion wrong.

Having been part of SMAE in UK years ago when safety aspects were hot topics - I can well remember the discussions and some of the examples used to explain why we had to vote on rules etc. Some of those images do not leave you. Nor do the accidents that have befallen friends who lost concentration for that second or so and suffered injury from props.

Just to recap so people can appreciate where I stand on this. I agree hand catch where suitable. I do not agree to tell new pilots to hand catch regardless as earlier in this thread by another. I suggest and prefer landing out properly as model is designed for where it is possible. To increase that possibility - a mat is a sensible item.

Nigel

Stones ... Where do I INSIST not to hand catch ?? I will not stand by and be accused of something not true.
But there are many examples of posts telling people to hand catch ... it may not be Insisting but its darned well near enough ...

There is a place for hand catching and many instances where it is unnecessary. Simple. I just don't know why some are so insistent on it ... what is it ? A Macho Man thing ??

Nigel
You'll notice that I put the word insistent in parentheses because it is the term you used for what you think others are doing. I looked at all the posts in this thread. Looks more like people offering a possible solution when mentioning hand catching. "Macho Man thing?" Think I'll move on.

You'll notice that I put the word insistent in parentheses because it is the term you used for what you think others are doing. I looked at all the posts in this thread. Looks more like people offering a possible solution when mentioning hand catching. "Macho Man thing?" Think I'll move on.

Please excuse me for having an opinion ...

As true English is my native language, as against the US / Microsoft version - I reserve the right to interpret some posts as "insistent" rather than suggestive.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94