Mavic Release Discussion

I just ordered the full kit from B&H. Free shipping, no tax!

Me too..., though up to now I've always waited to see how the DJI product performed before buying (I stopped at the P3P). It looks like the Mavic beta testers have lot's of thumbs up with little negative aspects. I'm sure the app functionality will tell us more..

They wouldn't. This looks to be superior in every way to a Phantom 4. I can't imagine even considering buying a Phantom now that I've seen this. It's very small, ultra portable, has incredible tracking and obstacle avoidance technology, it's own controller, racing mode, amazing range, and the list just goes on and on.

The Phantom line is officially dead in my book.
As someone who has been questioned by 2 FAA agents that walked up on me while I was flying and tried their hardest to get me on any rule violation I have to say I will not buy a Mavik as it would not offer very good line of sight distance because of how small it is. If you live in the USA watch out, the FAA is cracking down!

I love it and it's exactly what I want in a drone, namely better portability with a good camera. With that said, I'm too invested in my P3A for me to switch over. It's only 4 months old, I have 4 extra batteries, a pelican hard case, and a DJI backpack. Not to mention a dedicated iPad. Since I travel a lot I would love to have the Mavic as it would be much easier in airports and exotic locations. Unless I could sell my drone with all the accessories I don't see that the Mavic will be in my future any time soon.
you echo what a lot of us are thinking - still my birds continue to give me hours of enjoyment.

One draw back might be the weight. It's a lot lighter and how stable would it be in the wind? The Phantom's are proven. I interested, but will wait a little while for some of the bugs to shake out.

Looks like the P3 is going to be obsolete pretty soon. The mavic looks good wondering about hand catching though. All my flights are from a boat and another battery I guess.
Maybe should just buy up lots of cheap 2nd hand P3's

As someone who has been questioned by 2 FAA agents that walked up on me while I was flying and tried their hardest to get me on any rule violation I have to say I will not buy a Mavik as it would not offer very good line of sight distance because of how small it is. If you live in the USA watch out, the FAA is cracking down!

Where were you flying? Over the FAA office building? I find this difficult to believe.

I din't see no where to be able to use it with an Ipad air 2 and how would you do waypoints the reason I use ipad air 2 is with time your eyes get weaker
if the phantom 3 pro like I have gets in the 500.00 price range I am going to buy another one

I din't see no where to be able to use it with an Ipad air 2 and how would you do waypoints the reason I use ipad air 2 is with time your eyes get weaker
if the phantom 3 pro like I have gets in the 500.00 price range I am going to buy another one

According to DJI website the max length for a supported mobile device on the controller is 160 mm(6.3 in.)

Where were you flying? Over the FAA office building? I find this difficult to believe.

I was at a local balloon festival, after taking a bunch of pics with my dslr of the balloons I went for a flight to the top of a hill that had concrete letters poured (I think it's a utah thing) and I should mention again that all the balloons had landed except a tethered balloon giving rides which was 100 meters away from me.

These two guys walked up on me and started asking questions. At first they were the typical "how far can you fly" etc, then he started saying "you know you are supposed to be flying line of sight and I can't see it, can you point it out to me" I told him "you might wanna get your eyes checked" I was 800' out and 640' above my take off point but only about 100' off the ground as I flew up the side of a hill my son then pointed it out to him and he still couldn't see it but his coworker could. He started asking how far off the ground I was and getting really close and looking at my iPad. My wife said she thought he was a cop the whole time but I just thought he was a jerk that didn't like drones trying to get me in trouble. I told him to stop harassing me and started ignoring him, he was maybe 10 years older than me so I was in the respect your elders mode. After he asked multiple times if my drone was registered I turned to him and said I didn't need to answer to him. That is when he said "yes you do, we are FAA" I asked him why he didn't identify himself earlier and he said that "when I do identify myself as FAA right away, that is when people start dropping the F-bomb." His co-worker was either new or was just supposed to observe because he stood back and didn't talk to me until the end. After I told him I would have been more respectful if he would have identified himself he told me that the b4ufly app was flawed and to take it's information with a grain of salt. I told him I do check th b4ufly app and I also check the hover app as it has more accurate airport and contact info, he said he never heard of hover and asked his coworker if he had ever heard of it, the. He wrote it down and said he was glad to have something to tell people since the biggest complaint he hears is that it is too confusing to tell where you can fly. I also showed him the FAA we bite I have bookmarked on my phone that I use for additional airport contact info if needed. He asked me if I intended to ever take the 107 and told me that based on my demonstrated knowledge that I could pass easily. I told him I intended to study charts and different classes of airspace etc as well as take some practice exams first. he gave me his card and said to call if I ever have any questions. When he pulled his card out I did see a badge but didn't get a close look at it. He said they are going to events where drones are likely to be there so my advice to everyone is to know the laws of your country/jurisdiction and obey them.
I think he must have just been getting some overtime on a special assignment due to the event.

My son told me he heard him tell his coworker as they left "maybe I do need to get my eyes checked"

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
This bird looks like the King for grab and fly anywhere anytime..I'm getting one, DJI has proven their system, if there are bugs, it will be mild and temporary in my mind...This is a winner. I was going to get the Karma to complement my P3P but now Im getting the MAV...what a beast...for the price cant' beat it...The issue and once again the camera is permanent fixture, Im really looking for a sweet in this size and portability I can add a thermal camera..

Come on sub $700 P4's. I do like the looks of the Mavic, but we'll see how the first generation of them acts.

Fellow Canadians, bestbuy.ca has it up for $1349.00 for the controller bundle. It also takes 10% off at checkout, so it ends up being a good $80 less than the $999 USD asking price. I just couldn't resist this thing.
Nice thanks for the info..getting one now!! Yeeha

someone will 3d print a mount or release some mod to mount bigger tablets.. doesn't look to hard for tabs around 8"?
Already ready to make one on my printer for my iPad mini

I don't know where you guys keep coming up with 4 miles... DJI says 8 miles...
Mavic Specs
AIRCRAFT
Weight (including battery and propellers) 1.62 lbs (734 g) (exclude gimbal cover)
1.64 lbs (743 g) (include gimbal cover)
Max Ascent Speed 16.4 ft/s (5 m/s) in Sport mode
Max Descent Speed 9.8 ft/s (3 m/s)
Max Speed 40 mph (65 kph) in Sport mode without wind
Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level 16404 feet (5000 m)
Max Flight Time 27 minutes (0 wind at a consistent 15.5 mph (25 kph))
Max Hovering Time 24 minutes (0 wind)
Overall flight time 21 munites ( In normal flight, 15% remaining battery level )
Max Flight Distance 8 mi (13 km, 0 wind)
Operating Temperature 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C)
GPS Mode GPS / GLONASS

I'm wondering if the 8 miles means 4.3 miles outbound and 4.3 miles back. Here is something from their site:
"Inside the Mavic’s pocket-sized remote controller is DJI’s brand new OcuSync transmission technology, with a range of 4.3mi (7km) and Full HD 1080p video streaming."

I don't think much of the controller only using a phone

I like the idea of positioning the phone below the controller. You can now use your body and some parts of the remote as a sun visor.
I also noticed there no lanyard mounts on the controller..
And I wonder how the Ocu FPV system works.. So the controller will provide 4.2miles and the smartphone/device only over wifi is 50-100ft. Does this mean the Occu FPV system can do both Lightbridge and traditional wifi?

I only recently started to be interested in drones. Going to by one next year for my Route 66 trip in April. I went from a 'phantom 4 is the one' to a 'wow, kharma is amazing!' to a 'Mavic is perfect for what I want' in just a week!

Wondering how many more times am I going to change my mind in the next 7 months ..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Drone#564
After watching this:
I will stay with my P3P and wait what's coming in 2017 because image quality leaves a lot to wish for:
Clip2net_160928080547.png

Reactions: Cactus Wren

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka