Mavic Release Discussion

There are always those people that have to have the latest and greatest. China know how Americans are suckers for new technology Stand up and PROTEST! Keep what you have until you crash it! Please LIKE if you agree!
When I see ND Filters available, I will think about it but right now, I love my filters too much to just give up on them. I can get great shots with my Phantoms and with the graduated filters, right now it's hard to beat.

Reactions: Fplvert
There are always those people that have to have the latest and greatest. China know how Americans are suckers for new technology Stand up and PROTEST! Keep what you have until you crash it! Please LIKE if you agree!
image.gif

On my fourth DJI bird, only one crash so far!

I'm looking forward to this new model in my fleet. It looks awesome!

Reactions: Tc3jg
Well most 3D gimbals over light cameras are.

I think it's a non-issue as I see how it works on mine, I will see tilted horizons under strong crosswinds and always in the same tilt angle as the bird.

My theory is that the horizon is mostly corrected from accelerometers values and gravitational pull and the forces resulting from the bird compensating constantly for the wind to stay in place at the birds's scale affect its perception of the vertical by definition gravitational pull, thus tilting the horizon.

Now the Mavic is lighter and the camera being aligned/at the same level with the body and its centre of gravity would mean that the above is even more accentuated in the Mavic's case.

Don't know if any f this makes sense...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

It looked very windy in that video, being right close to the ocean and all as well.

It kind of depends on specs regarding wind etc if the Phantom is dead or not. Looks like the Mavic is prosumer and the phantom is more pro, at least the Phantom 4 anyway IMO.

I would agree. From the sales pitch, it seems the Mavic is designed more for the "Hey look what I'm doing today!!" crowd of internet narcissists, whereas the Phantom is more about "Look what you can do with this."

That said, not having to lug around a big controller and a big drone in a big case is very enticing, and certainly the wave of the future. I imagine these things will be selling like hotcakes, until the next big product launch in April or so ... Phantom 5? Phantom X? Mavik 2?

My wisdom tells me to wait through a few more versions and upgrades before spending more money on something that will be outclassed in 6 months.

It looked very windy in that video, being right close to the ocean and all as well.

Yup, and all of this is normal, I find all of this tech amazing, and can't wait to see what comes next!

All in all bitching about P4vsKarmavsMavic and the likes is pointless. I think each product holds its place. The Phantom 4 is six months old, and has a different audience, the line is blurred and the market is settling in but the technological advances to be seen in the next months let alone years will be amazing.

A bit out of topic but a nice vid I saw the other day (and it ain't even new!):

What is becoming available at the tip of our fingertips (because let's face it, even if the price seems right, it's STILL a lot of money) is just incredible...

Reactions: Kwaka Pants
I gotta say that there is way to much emphasis put on whether the mavic is a phantom killer and if dji will ditch the phantom series, its not going to happen. Two totally different drones, dji needed to fill this category of small sport drones to keep their market share up. Enjoy the phantom series and lets chill out a bit when it comes to phantom killer's :)
Agree. DJI has already indicated previously that the Phantom line would exist. The Mavic is in the portable/selfie drone category. The Phantom 5, due in February 2017, will have (more than likely) the removable camera, 360 gimbal, retractable landing gear, and some really cool features that none of us can think of at the moment until DJI does it (like they always do).

Agree. DJI has already indicated previously that the Phantom line would exist. The Mavic is in the portable/selfie drone category. The Phantom 5, due in February 2017, will have (more than likely) the removable camera, 360 gimbal, retractable landing gear, and some really cool features that none of us can think of at the moment until DJI does it (like they always do).

Agreed. When the next Phantom hits the market, many who buy this Mavic will wish they had waited. And the same will be said of the next Phantom when the next Mavic gets released, and on and on until these things operate on pure thought from a specially integrated thinking cap ...

Whatever you buy today will still do exactly what you bought it for 5 years from now.

My brand-new P4 arrived last Thursday ... no joke.

Well enjoy, it's an amazing piece of kit!

Unless you're into extreme sports and aim only at portability you have nothing really to envy.

If you're into filming, aerial photography, your bird is top notch even at its price.

As for the amazing range, I'm not a distance flyer as I like to keep things under control. Perhaps better reception on shorter ranges or obstacles/congestions? But that would be it.

I'm no record breaker because I know what I want to film and inspect or imagine what I want to shoot beforehand. And I don't do safaris.

I'm very new both to serious consumer drones and just purchased a phantom 4 after giving much thought about what I was thinking I wanted to do. And it fits the bill and even so much more.

Sure, if unsure about what when why then the Mavic seems more versatile in that aspect, but then again spending that kind of money without having any idea of the above seems overkill to me. And I'm a geek, perhaps just getting a bit old...:p

Last edited:
Press videos coming in....

Interesting about the camera quality being not as refined as the Phantom 4. I guess that was to be expected with such a small package. However, in the 4K video it still looked pretty darn good for most everyday uses.

Due to the size and portability of the Mavic, I think we'll begin to experience the same thing that occurred with cell phones and DSLR/point and shoot cameras.... That is that people began to use DSLR/point and shoot camera less and less because the cell phone camera was just so convenient.

Reactions: AAPhoto and Fplvert
Interesting about the camera quality being not as refined as the Phantom 4. I guess that was to be expected with such a small package. However, in the 4K video it still looked pretty darn good for most everyday uses.

Due to the size and portability of the Mavic, I think we'll begin to experience the same thing that occurred with cell phones and DSLR/point and shoot cameras.... That is that people began to use DSLR/point and shoot camera less and less because the cell phone camera was just so convenient.
image.gif

More portability!

What about this novel concept? The P4 is a different animal... Its a solid, good Drone. The Mavic is a quick, fast, camera that's extremely portable.

I would keep both for different things.

I can imagine a Mavic ready to fly permanently in my glove box....I can imagine....

Ah shut up! lol

With all the inexperienced crowd this category will bring in and with that range, I dread to see the amount of reports/claims for 'flyaways' 4 miles out with no bird to recover (thus no data to validate any claim).

Please guys fly safe....With this weight, it's even escaping a fair bit of EU regulations (and I'm sure they will review with more producs of this kind bound to be released and become cheaper)

It's a game changer.
If you have a P3 or less or looking to enter the quad market, this is the drone to get. So much to offer in such a small package (said the Asian man).

Considering its less than 800 grams, I hope the camera still works with the legs folded in as I want duct tape it my helmet/car and use it as a steady cam.

Just found out its $1700 AUD for the Mavic Pro + controller and $2200 AUD for the combo. Considering the exchange is 1000USD = 1300AUD, Australia is definitely paying a $400 premium.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor