Mavic Release Discussion

Well most 3D gimbals over light cameras are.

I think it's a non-issue as I see how it works on mine, I will see tilted horizons under strong crosswinds and always in the same tilt angle as the bird.

My theory is that the horizon is mostly corrected from accelerometers values and gravitational pull and the forces resulting from the bird compensating constantly for the wind to stay in place at the birds's scale affect its perception of the vertical by definition gravitational pull, thus tilting the horizon.

Now the Mavic is lighter and the camera being aligned/at the same level with the body and its centre of gravity would mean that the above is even more accentuated in the Mavic's case.

Don't know if any f this makes sense...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Oh and not that anyone cares :p but had to look it up a bit further online as I was trying to illustrate the tilted horizon thing and then we can go back to topic aka the mavic but best way I could find was this video:

The water in the glass is our horizon, if you tilt the glass slowly water will stay leveled, but if you start spinning (similar to the wind pushing and the bird pulling) then this force takes over and the water level (in this case our horizon) starts getting perpendicular to these forces thus tilting from the actual horizon...

Nuff said xD...

WOW!!!! I wasn't even considering another drone. But this thing looks like its what I want in a small portable drone. I even like the ability to use goggles and do FPV flying. I'm not interested in racing, so a full-on racer isn't something I'd consider, but this would be fun.

This is the kind of portability I was hoping for. Rather than having a backpack thats completely taken up by the drone and equipment and specialized for my drone, I can put this in a backpack with my other gear and go...

Just hoping now, it performs as well as they advertise. As much as I want one when it comes out, I'm going to wait a couple months. Make sure there aren't any major issues and performs as advertised...

Wondering if we can swap P3 batteries to this new drone. I really wish our P3 controllers also work with Mavic. The placement of smartphone below the control sticks on the remote seems odd but again we may get used to it.

My first impression: Incredible. I have no idea why anyone would ever buy a Phantom again.
I can because so many of us will probably be selling their phantoms very cheaply and to think I just paid $900 for a Z3 camera for my inspire 1. This hobby has gotten to be pretty expensive

Reactions: Tc3jg
That one package the Mavic introduction video showed was their $1,299.00 which didn't include them. I'm hoping they will, but I'm betting if not, a vendor surely will.

Also, due to the connectivity, there is no worry of having to instal an HDMI connector to the controller to use them with the Mavic.
Not to mention that it's wireless too. will be eagerly waiting for its price announcement.

7km (4.3 miles) downrange distance but a battery that gives 13km (8 miles) flight distance. So all you distance lovers wont get your new bird home
I always look at the stated range to be about twice the range you normally get I have 3 ph-3 2 of them working a PH-4 and an Inspire1. They all say about 2 mile range but even with an range extender I would be lucky to get the 2 miles. If it is stated at 4.3 than you probably will be able to always get 2 miles and that is as for as I would ever need to go also it would probably be able to go through brush better.

Wow.
Everybody's just creaming. This is DJI. Advise waiting for reality to land, and assess. Too early to assess now. Product claims from company at launch are not getting my money.
We'll see.
Gotta feel for gopro. Bad kick in the jewels.

Does anyone know if Frank Wang has been involved in the Mavic release?
I remember reading he admitted staying out of the worldwide release of the Phantom 3.
So thats why its important for me to know.

I can because so many of us will probably be selling their phantoms very cheaply and to think I just paid $900 for a Z3 camera for my inspire 1. This hobby has gotten to be pretty expensive
As most hobbies once you really get into it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I always look at the stated range to be about twice the range you normally get I have 3 ph-3 2 of them working a PH-4 and an Inspire1. They all say about 2 mile range but even with an range extender I would be lucky to get the 2 miles. If it is stated at 4.3 than you probably will be able to always get 2 miles and that is as for as I would ever need to go also it would probably be able to go through brush better.
My P3P has gone over 3 miles all stock. I'd like a Mavic but have no need for two.

Does that combo come with the controller? The product listing they have on Amazon doesn't specifically show it.
Early in the presentation he states that there will be 3 different packages when it's available:
Drone only (No RC) for $749
Drone with RC for $999
Drone with RC, extra batteries and case for $1299.

The P4 is nothing but a glorified smartphone camera. Why shouldn't it be? Seems to check out too - same 4K/30fps and 12 megapixel photos.

If you call Active Tracking, Waypoints, Point of View, GPS locked stability, front-view obstacle avoidance, Return to Home at the push of a button (or when battery power drops low enough) 4K camera with filter threading and an ability to fly at around 45 mph a "glorified smartphone camera", then I guess yes ... the P4 is a glorified smartphone camera.

Reactions: KidKobe210 and Blax
I don't think an iPad or iPad mini is going to fit on that remote.

I wonder if the end goal isn't to push people into getting those goggles ($more money$). I'm sure an adapter for iPads will be built by someone pretty soon. Maybe I should start working on that. Could be a lot of money ...

Reactions: FASTFJR and Fplvert
The DJI store must have had a deal with Amazon? I bought mine off amazon.

Does it come with the goggles? I don't see another battery option either.

This thing just KILLED THE KARMA! You'd be crazy to buy a Karma after this release!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Geeze you Americans are killing me. Amazon Canada doesn't even list it yet :(

Reactions: Cactus Wren
Sorry guys...please excuse my ignorance as a newb...does anyone know the visual range this gets while using your phone? For example, if I fly this drone three miles away, does anyone know if I would still have video feed on my phone? Thanks

Sorry guys...please excuse my ignorance as a newb...does anyone know the visual range this gets while using your phone? For example, if I fly this drone three miles away, does anyone know if I would still have video feed on my phone? Thanks

You won't be able to fly it 3 miles away with your phone . You will need the controller for that distance.

Reactions: t2adze
The Official DJI store is selling both options on Amazon. My ship date was Early November.
EDIT: Cancelled my DJI Store order. Just got it from an authorized seller on Amazon with an Oct. 3 - 6 ship date! Sweet! I want this for an upcoming trip I am taking so timing couldn't be better! :)
I also ordered that one from that seller, I then emailed them to confirm it was coming by the beginning of October and they said ETA was the beginning of November, and that the ETA for the beginning of October was wrong.. I cancelled and ordered from edigital. Let us know around then if for some reason it does show up, I'm curious.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20