Mapping of River

Reaction score
I want to do a survey of a river.

I want to get as much details and data of the river as possible. The river is about 4,000 meters long.

Anyone done something like this? What do I need to do this?

When you say "map the river" are you talking about trying to capture bathymetric (depth) data or just aerial imagery.
Or both?

Still in the nascent stages, if thinking of a recreational drone based approach. I am not a professional or well versed in this area, but have been researching the same from the bathymetry and riparian topography approaches. Literature that i have seen, suggest the use of LIDAR along with photogrammetry. If using lidar, decent resolutions and depth accuracy may be obtained with green and infra red used together. However laser does not work in whitewater or aerated sections .

Certain types of river features lend themselves to a photogrammetric approach given right light condition, up to the "secchi" depth for the water. However you need expensive software ( though an open source solution is also being developed) to extract the bathymetric profile. Sonar can be used in flat sections that are deeper than say a certain minimum depth. There is a video of a small toy Z boat dragging a sonar across a class 1 rapid in an Alaskan river. A kayak based approach on a lake or flat section can be seen by googling Paul Illsey.

I have also read of through the ground (ice) approaches involving the use of ground penetrating radar.

So prioritize your objectives, slice up the river into sections and apply technologies that are appropriate to each.
Stan

References:

1. A Unique Approach to Bathymetry Mapping in a Large River System. Using GIS tools to evaluate hidden habitat
By Eli Long and Eric J. Chapman, Western Pennsylvania Conservancy

2. http://www.paulillsley.com/Kayak_Bathym ... index.html

3. Remote Sensing: 2072-4292 MDPI 10.3390/rs5126382 remotesensing-05-06382
Article:Seamless Mapping of River Channels at High Resolution Using Mobile LiDAR and UAV-Photography
1Department of Geography and Geology, University of Turku, FI-20014 Turku,Finland

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl